CBC's Vote Compass

GOMERY INQUIRY! IT'S ALL THE PREVIOUS LIBERAL GOVERNMENT'S FAULT!!!

Oh, Sorry. Went into Conservative mode for a second... Man that was scary. Yet ignorantly blissful.

That's too witty for them...

ADSCAM!!!....COALITON!!!!....COUPSCAM!!!....GUN REGISTRY!!!....PARTISAN COMMITTEEES!!!!

STANDING UP FOR CANADA!!!....HERE FOR CANADA!!

You see...It has to short and sharp to fit on a bumper sticker...The Don Cherry types require this level of intellect to properly understand the message...

New one...

LIBERAL MEDIA BIAS!!!

Edited by Jack Weber

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I don't know why the CBC did this. Why didn't they just keep a list of positions. They had to know that every Conservative in the country was going to screech like a banshee baby with colic about it. (As they do everything conceived of after 1950)

Well...As I said before...

Now SunTV has a weeks worth of material to whip up the conservative firebreathers about the dreaded "Liberal Media Bias"...

Because there will be absolutely no "Conservative Media bias" on SunTV..

I'll bet they'll come out with there own "Vote Compass"...

Right here!

http://www.libertarian.ca/

You will likely find it different than the American definition, if you go by the one that is composed of survivalists and government conspiracy fanatics.

Of the twelve self proclaimed Libertarians from the US I interact with regularly on this here interwebz thingy, not one has an assault rifle or a cammoflage uniform, nor do they wear tinfoil hats. They believe in strong fiscal conservativism, small government, and citizen's rights.

Ron Paul is their hero.

PS, Thanks for the link.

Edited by RNG

Well...As I said before...

Now SunTV has a weeks worth of material to whip up the conservative firebreathers about the dreaded "Liberal Media Bias"...

Because there will be absolutely no "Conservative Media bias" on SunTV..

I'll bet they'll come out with there own "Vote Compass"...

"Fair and Balanced" Jr.:)

Well, I have tried it several times now and have come out as a CPC, NDP, and Liberal supporter.

Not surprising since I have done this intentionally as I answer the questions the way I would expect them to be answered if I was a supporter of those parties.

I wonder how many people are "surprised" by their results because they really don`t know what their chosen political party really stands for?

Edited by msj

Well, I have tried it several times now and have come out as a CPC, NDP, and Liberal supporter.

Not surprising since I have done this intentionally as I answer the questions the way I would expect them to be answered if I was a supporter of those parties.

I wonder how many people are "surprised" by their results because they really don`t know what their chosen political party really stands for?

That'sa good point...

I wonder if people are'nt really as staunchly ideological on every issue as they originally thought and have a bit of a problem coming to grips with that reality??

I have found that most people are'nt really ideologically driven and that their leanings might be slightly right or left depending on the issue...This is where the Liberal party has been a "catch all" party throughout most of it's history and been able to pick up the most votes...

I would also note that most of the people squawking the loudest about this are the "SunTV" crowd...

The ones who feel there is a "(L)liberal media bias" in all media outlets,and the CeeB is the biggest one that sticks in thier craw...

The questions were overly obvious, I thought. I mean, for almost every question, I immediately knew which response would correspond with which political view. That leads to very high levels of self-reporting bias. If someone thinks they are support the Conservatives (for example), they will tend to answer the questions they believe align with that, and since these are all such stereotypical questions, the effect will be very strong.

That being said, it told me I align with the cons, which obviously wasn't at all unexpected based on my answers. I personally didn't find this tool to be of any particular value, and I don't think most voters would either. If someone already has an opinion on most of those issues, chances are 99% they already know which answer is the "right wing" one and which is the "left wing" one.

The questions were overly obvious, I thought. I mean, for almost every question, I immediately knew which response would correspond with which political view. That leads to very high levels of self-reporting bias. If someone thinks they are support the Conservatives (for example), they will tend to answer the questions they believe align with that, and since these are all such stereotypical questions, the effect will be very strong.

That being said, it told me I align with the cons, which obviously wasn't at all unexpected based on my answers. I personally didn't find this tool to be of any particular value, and I don't think most voters would either. If someone already has an opinion on most of those issues, chances are 99% they already know which answer is the "right wing" one and which is the "left wing" one.

Yes,but you've just admitted that you are,at least by this test (and I assume others?),an ideological conservative...

But what about those of us who are'nt entrenched in any ideology???

As I said before,most people are'nt driven by ideology at all....

As I said before,when I did the test I ended up in virtually the same position as I did on the test everyone does here...

It claims I'm close to the Liberal party...But I'm not that close at all...

It's like telling me because I live in Beamsville,Ontario,and I have a choice between Saskatoon,Honolulu,Los Angeles,and,Tegucigalpa... I'm closest to Saskatoon,but I'm not really that close...

Know what I mean?

Yes,but you've just admitted that you are,at least by this test (and I assume others?),an ideological conservative...

Not really, I tend to disagree with stereotypical conservative positions when it comes to a variety of issues including religion, abortion, environmentalism, and others.

But what about those of us who are'nt entrenched in any ideology???

Yes, what about us? I don't see the value this test offers. It is too simplistic and too prone to inaccuracy in my opinion.

While I absolutely do see that the vote compass is heavily biased, I'm not so sure that it was deliberate. The answers that it would take make you considered a Conservative are considerably farther to the right than the party actually is. However, most left and centre-left voters think that the CPC is a lot further right than they really are. It's quite possible that the bias involved is just the author's misconceptions of the Conservatives. We may be attributing malice in a place where the problem is merely ignorance and/or incompetence.

While I absolutely do see that the vote compass is heavily biased, I'm not so sure that it was deliberate. The answers that it would take make you considered a Conservative are considerably farther to the right than the party actually is.

That's the problem that I had with it. The thing said that I'm a Liberal...and it's probably right. That said, I have no problem fitting into the Conservative party, as I'm really, on most issues, what would be considered a Red Tory. According the Compass, I shouldn't be able to vote for them at all.

Edited by Smallc

Right here!

http://www.libertarian.ca/

You will likely find it different than the American definition, if you go by the one that is composed of survivalists and government conspiracy fanatics.

I read the link in detail. Yup, wingnuts. But so was Reform when it first started, and toned down significantly over time. (I know, I know, still too extreme for some.) I agree with the ideals, but these guys are unrealistic. Change takes time if you want to minimize damage.

The US libertarians have been around far longer and thus have been able to, I don't know how to phrase it, mellow?

This article was pointed out to me by one of our community members:

CBC vote quiz creator worked for Ignatieff

By Brian Lilley, Parliamentary Bureau

OTTAWA - The CBC keeps things in the family.

The state broadcaster built an online voting tool that's under fire for having a Liberal bias.

And it turns out one of the key people behind CBC's Vote Compass worked as a policy advisor on Michael Ignatieff's Liberal leadership campaign in 2006.

CBC has been pushing the voter selection guide on its main network and its all-news channel. In one video promotion, show host George Stroumboulopoulous tells viewers to take the test, "In about five minutes you will know who represents you the best. You might actually be surprised."

Some participants are very surprised, mostly to find out they are Liberal.

On Wednesday, CBC responded to the criticism by airing a report that showed students filling out the questionnaire. One student who said she thought of herself as more Conservative came up as a Liberal, another who thought he was more of an NDP supporter also came out Liberal.

CBC has defended the Vote Compass. A spokesperson for the CBC said they had nothing to do with the methodology.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/decision2011/2011/03/31/17829856.html

How can we believe what we hear from the CBC? Some of us had noticed Liberal-slanted

journalism/opinion throughout the years....what more clearer evidence - quite brazen in fact - do we need that the CBC is nothing more than a permanent propaganda tool for the Liberals - funded by the taxpayers!

Either that.....

A spokesperson for the CBC said they had nothing to do with the methodology.

....or it's not a credible source of information at all. You'd think they'd do their homework.

I should throw back what the CBC journalists say when they criticised Harper about Bruce Carson: How did they miss this guy's prominent position as Ignatieff's former aadvisor in 2006? To say that they had nothing to do with the methodology is a lame cop-out.

The CBC's supposed to be in the business of gathering and researching info!

The Liberals/media have been slamming Harper for advertising his government's action plan -which actually has its relevance with its aim at promoting Canada's stability to investors - saying it's a propaganda being paid for by the taxpayers!

And yet taxpayers have been continuously funding the CBC for decades. The Liberals have a freebie propaganda tool at our expense!

They ask Harper where will the money for his fighter jets come from? He should answer:

By axe-ing the CBC!

Edited by betsy

Honestly, I don't know why the CBC did this. Why didn't they just keep a list of positions. They had to know that every Conservative in the country was going to screech like a banshee baby with colic about it. (As they do everything conceived of after 1950)

The NDP too? Guess everybody that isn't a Liberal screeching like a Banshee?

CBC's Vote Compass is miscalibrated. Have you noticed? babblers have.

That's the problem that I had with it. The thing said that I'm a Liberal...and it's probably right. That said, I have no problem fitting into the Conservative party, as I'm really, on most issues, what would be considered a Red Tory. According the Compass, I shouldn't be able to vote for them at all.

Try playing with the controls at the end. It doesn't move your position, it moves the parties positions around. You could be anything you wanted to be.

It's a scam question. Only the Green Party position (fund daycare INSTEAD of payments to parents) or the Conservative Party position (Give payments directly to parents instead of funding daycare) can be reflected in the answer to the question. The likert scale they use doesn't adequately represent the position of the NDP or Bloc on this question."

Remove the NDP from the equation. Fits nicely to benefit the Liberals.

This article was pointed out to me by one of our community members:

http://www.torontosun.com/news/decision2011/2011/03/31/17829856.html

Funny how the Toronto Sun article didn't tell you that he also worked as an advisor to Tom Flanagan, Harper's former cheif of staff.

Don't you feel a little played now that you know he did?

Funny how the Toronto Sun article didn't tell you that he also worked as an advisor to Tom Flanagan, Harper's former cheif of staff.

Don't you feel a little played now that you know he did?

The reason it doesn't mention that is they already checked that claim out, and found out it wasn't true.

http://ezralevant.com/2011/04/andrew-pottymouth.html

Flanagan says Loewen's only involvement was to have some scholarly discussions with Flanagan about the election -- after it was done.

Very interesting.

He's worked for Conservatives--several times, in fact--but since he's also done work with the Liberals, he must have a "Liberal bias."

Read the article I linked to a few posts back. He never worked for the Conservatives.

Edited by Bryan