Federal Election Polls

The 2011 NDP surge is one thing I've never found a compelling explanation for, actually. The party was led by the same man who led them in the two previous elections. Their platform had not changed all that much, as far as I recall. Layton's position on federalism wasn't even any different from what the party had advocated in the two previous elections. Yes, the LPC and BQ had been declining but why, all of a sudden in the last two weeks of the campaign, did the NDP experience such a massive surge for which there had been no real indication until that point, led by a province that never gave them the time of day before?

Edit: It's not like it made no sense, since the BQ had practically been functioning as a Quebec wing of the NDP in terms of policy in the previous Parliament (before they really committed themselves to bigotry on a full-time basis). I just don't know why the surge happened right at that moment, so late in the campaign.

Edited by Evening Star

+ Layton's appearance on Tout le monde en parle, according to legend. I never completely gathered what was supposed to be so magical about this.

Tout le monde en parle, a 2 and a half hour variety show, has a huge audience in Quebec. Layton solidified his reputation as "Le bon Jack" after he appeared on that show and his popularity there skyrocketed. BTW, Mulcair is appearing on that show this evening which is getting underway right now on CBOFT Channel 5 (Rogers cable TV).

Tout le monde en parle, a 2 and a half hour variety show, has a huge audience in Quebec. Layton solidified his reputation as "Le bon Jack" after he appeared on that show and his popularity there skyrocketed. BTW, Mulcair is appearing on that show this evening which is getting underway right now on CBOFT Channel 5 (Rogers cable TV).

OK, but what about his appearance on that show was so wonderful that it could make him so popular overnight? It's not like he had never been on TV in Quebec before.

Where can I watch this online? (sorry not a cable guy). If anyone knows I'd be thankful!

OK, but what about his appearance on that show was so wonderful that it could make him so popular overnight? It's not like he had never been on TV in Quebec before.

Precisely.

The 2011 NDP surge is one thing I've never found a compelling explanation for, actually. The party was led by the same man who led them in the two previous elections. Their platform had not changed all that much, as far as I recall. Layton's position on federalism wasn't even any different from what the party had advocated in the two previous elections. Yes, the LPC and BQ had been declining but why, all of a sudden in the last two weeks of the campaign, did the NDP experience such a massive surge for which there had been no real indication until that point, led by a province that never gave them the time of day before?

Edit: It's not like it made no sense, since the BQ had practically been functioning as a Quebec wing of the NDP in terms of policy in the previous Parliament (before they really committed themselves to bigotry on a full-time basis). I just don't know why the surge happened right at that moment, so late in the campaign.

I really felt stupid after the 2011 election because I didn't know why either. I'm comforted by this :)

Edited by angrypenguin

It wasn't overnight, he had been campaigning for awhile in the province and Quebecers took a shine to him and his down home demeanor. If you're interested you can watch that episode on youtube that captures the essence of his participation on the show.

It wasn't overnight, he had been campaigning for awhile in the province and Quebecers took a shine to him and his down home demeanor. If you're interested you can watch that episode on youtube that captures the essence of his participation on the show.

I've seen some of it before and am watching this clip again now. Iirc, he mostly gave straightforward answers to questions about policy.

Edited by Evening Star

I skimmed through it (I can't speak French well), and I couldn't figure it out either.

What can I say ap. Who said Quebecers are easy to understand when it comes to their behavior in federal elections. What I know for sure is that pundits have repeatedly said that Quebecers tend to vote in a bloc (no pun intended). So when Quebecers decided to repudiate the BQ, they needed a party to coalesce to and they chose the NDP.

What can I say ap. Who said Quebecers are easy to understand when it comes to their behavior in federal elections. What I know for sure is that pundits have repeatedly said that Quebecers tend to vote in a bloc (no pun intended). So when Quebecers decided to repudiate the BQ, they needed a party to coalesce to and they chose the NDP.

Yes, I have heard this. The older French woman on CBC's Power and Politics said the same thing. The QCers usually rally behind one person. It doesn't seem like this is the case thus far. If anything, the fate of this will be decided shortly!

Edited by angrypenguin

I'm watching the show and it looks like Mulcair is up next. I've read there's a lot riding on the impression he makes here.

That dude must be exhausted, and he sure is desperate. He was campaigning all over the GTA today...and now he's doing this? Is this also in Montreal?

Edited by angrypenguin

the system has worked for well over two hundred years. Believe it or not, democracy is not the only consideration in government.

Round and round we go. I don't see why government should be the only consideration either. Oh well. I have to say you have a way of making our governance a spectacularly depressing topic. I can see why a government should be like a ship at sea where the desired state is long periods of boredom, with as few punctuated moments of terror as possible.

I just keep thinking about those old two buzzards running out of patience and concluding it's time to kill something.

Because they don't involve themselves in partisan politics. ToadBrother is right. Parliament is designed in such a way that the cabinet needs the support of the backbench. If they chose to go against the cabinet, we would have a more accountable PMO. Instead, we elect lap dogs and indeed many people expect lap dogs. So you get what we have now. It's not up to the Queen to fix how MPs do their jobs. It's up to the electorate to choose better MPs or become better MPs themselves.

I don't think monarchs like ours should have to involve themselves or get in between partisan politics to help improve the relationship her subjects have with her government. I don't think what I'm talking about has anything to do with ideology or partisanship. It's about the space between the governed and government that's at issue.

Apparently educating the public and encouraging the public to understand how their system works would work against the interests of political parties and politicians who are able to take advantage of the electorate's ignorance, i.e. the coalition = a coup notion. I fail to see why trying to remedy things like that fundamental misunderstanding should be regarded as partisan interference at all. Sycophants will probably squirm at the thought of a more educated electorate empowered with a better understanding, but...good.

I know people that have gone into politics and those that win all seem to go off to an indoctrination/retreat where I presume they're brought up to speed, shown the lay of the land, given their Goa'ulds and they just never seem the same again.

Where can I watch this online? (sorry not a cable guy). If anyone knows I'd be thankful!

ap, here's the link to watch online.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/tele

I don't watch online so I hope it works for you.

<<... ce document vidéo n'est pas disponsible dans votre pays.>> :(

Odd. I never have trouble watching CBC stuff.

Edited by Evening Star

Liberal lead is maintained - October 5, 6:00 am

Statistical tie between Liberals and NDP in Quebec. Trudeau's message of jobs and economy rather than niqab seems to be working......

NANOS TRACKING RELEASED OCT. 5, 2015, 6 AM
Nanos Nightly Election Tracking Highlights (3-day tracking ending October 4) - Liberals emerging with lead in national election race, Conservatives steady, NDP slide
  • National Ballot - The trend on ballot preferences is currently favouring the Liberals while the Tories remain steady and the NDP registered a decline for the tenth night in succession. Support for the Liberals stands at 35.6% followed by the Conservatives at 31.0%, the NDP at 22.8% and the Greens at 4.7%.
  • Quebec Race - The complexion of the race in Quebec is also starting to shift. From a high of 50% support at the beginning of the campaign the NDP have slid to 30.1% and are statistically tied with the Liberals who registered 28.1%. The BQ and Conservatives are tied for third with 20.4% (BQ support) and 17.4% (CP Support) respectively in Quebec.
  • Nik Nanos - Full charts and methodology

<<... ce document vidéo n'est pas disponsible dans votre pays.>> :(

Odd. I never have trouble watching CBC stuff.

I clicked on the link I provided and it worked fine for me. Here is a CBC story with the highlights of the Mulcair segment of last night's show.

edit: oops forgot link, here it is

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tom-mulcair-challenged-over-niqab-pipelines-on-tout-le-monde-en-parle-1.3256496

Edited by capricorn

I clicked on the link I provided and it worked fine for me. Here is a CBC story with the highlights of the Mulcair segment of last night's show.

edit: oops forgot link, here it is

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tom-mulcair-challenged-over-niqab-pipelines-on-tout-le-monde-en-parle-1.3256496

I am in the US. I'll check out your Ceeb link when I can.