Mayor Ford to nix Pride Funding!

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ANYONE, wanting a parade, if it is suitable, should find their own money to pay for it. Taxpayer's money should go to more important things than parades.

Bread and Circuses son, get with the program.

It depends on whether or not it would bring money to the city, or would loss money for the city....parades can bring a lot of positive attention!

Not if Mr. Ford of Shwa wear thongs and join in any parade. In Mr. Ford's case it would cause shock and awe. In Mr. Shwa's case it would cause him to catch cold.

I go back to my original point and that is if a city was to fund events so that every Tom, Dick, and I mean Dick, and Harry can vent their political views, they would soon run out of money.

Shwa tries to suggest I am trying to censor a particular opinion. I am not. I am stating the city can't afford to fund one particular opinion and be fair to all-it either treats all political opinions equally or acknowledges its limitation not to be able to fund the expression of them because the demands would never end.

Shwa of course skirted around that issue and I do mean SKIRTED around the issue.

He's also thong. I mean wrong. I mean dong. I mean oh never mind.

Not if Mr. Ford of Shwa wear thongs and join in any parade. In Mr. Ford's case it would cause shock and awe. In Mr. Shwa's case it would cause him to catch cold.

I go back to my original point and that is if a city was to fund events so that every Tom, Dick, and I mean Dick, and Harry can vent their political views, they would soon run out of money.

Every Canada Day parade and celebration I've been to--and I've been to quite a few--openly and unequivocally vents an eager and unquestioning support for the ongoing political view, based sheerly and absolutely on opinion, that War is Good, and that Canada is inherently, always, on the Right Side.

Edited by bloodyminded

It depends on whether or not it would bring money to the city, or would loss money for the city....parades can bring a lot of positive attention!

The Pride Celebrations does bring money to the City, to the tune of tens of millions of dollars, most of it taxable, lots of it going right back into the coffers of the City of Toronto.

Shwa tries to suggest I am trying to censor a particular opinion. I am not. I am stating the city can't afford to fund one particular opinion and be fair to all-it either treats all political opinions equally or acknowledges its limitation not to be able to fund the expression of them because the demands would never end.

Shwa of course skirted around that issue and I do mean SKIRTED around the issue.

Au contraire. Once anyone gets past your clumsy "patronage" dodge, you still have failed to recognize that public events contain elements of freedom of speech no matter who funds them. And they always will.

Not to mention that when I completely destroyed your position by posting the funding streams from the Toronto Arts Council, you didn't reply. I thought you had tucked your tail between your legs and fled like a pup. B)

Every Canada Day parade and celebration I've been to--and I've been to quite a few--openly and unequivocally vents an eager and unquestioning support for the ongoing political view, based sheerly and absolutely on opinion, that War is Good, and that Canada is inherently, always, on the Right Side.

I have been to some Aboriginal Day events - taken place right inside *gasp* government office buildings - where certain Aboriginal leaders had the unmitigated audacity to question the sincerity of the government towards settling outstanding land claims.

How DARE they! On public money! At a public event!

I have been to some Aboriginal Day events - taken place right inside *gasp* government office buildings - where certain Aboriginal leaders had the unmitigated audacity to question the sincerity of the government towards settling outstanding land claims.

How DARE they! On public money! At a public event!

Aren't universities subsidized by public money? No more political opinions on campus!

Aren't universities subsidized by public money? No more political opinions on campus!

Hey, aren't federal political parties subsidized with public money??? No more political opinions in political parties!!

:D

• 4 weeks later...

Pride likely to receive city funding after threats over controversial group

What I find interesting is a couple of passages:

The festival avoided the biggest threat to its future Tuesday when Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti abandoned a plan to make its funding contingent on banning the controversial activist group Queers Against Israeli Apartheid (QuAIA).

Mammoliti’s plan may have failed had he attempted to carry it through as Mayor Rob Ford had never expressed support.

So any notion that this was a Mayor Ford initiative seems to be wrong. This was a Mammoliti initiative and he might have been on his own with it and destined to fail, likely one of the motivations for him taking the Pride organizers at their word.

But what about Mayor Ford's deafening silence on the issue over the past few months? Perhaps he listens to his caucus after all:

QuAIA, however, found one ally on Ford’s executive: Councillor Peter Milczyn, who did not endorse the group’s message but decried any effort to silence it.

“Once you censor one group, one idea, even if you disagree with it violently, it starts a slippery slope,” Milczyn said. “Because what will be the next idea, the next group?”

I wouldn't link someone for freedom of speech as being an "ally" that is crappy journalism. But Milczyn has the right idea. Let the lunatics speak and remove all doubt in public.

• 2 weeks later...

Why should taxpayer's money be given to special groups?

Because like any good corporation - the Corporation of the City of Toronto makes investments in it's line of business to bring in revenue and thereby profit from it in one way or another.

Why should taxpayer's money be given to special groups?

Taxpayer money is not be "given to" special groups here. It's a grant to deliver a product, in this case an event that brings millions of dollars into the local economy. Your answer lies in there somewhere.

Edited by Black Dog

Nobody funds you or I for what we report ourselves to be. Also - as for discriminating between what is good and what is not good for some individuals - it is our right to disagree...for instance - If I find the whole celebration of gayity distasteful - or the man on man thing unpleasant....why am I forced to like it or fund it....Let gays and other gather up their own money for their own party.

Why is it on this forum when I do a little gay bashing are there no people her to run to the defence of artifical woman who in some strange way mimic females? I suppose that gay exists in the natural primative world in the fact that some creatures that are weak seek saftey - privledge - power all the other things that woman have - by mimicing them....odd...humans are so -----------well - animalistic.....maybe some of the bugs that hide from preditors that pretend they are sticks can fun their fellow mimicers?

In closeing I suppose that is my theory about this phenomena. That it is all about mimicing or disguise - like a blow fish that makes it self look bigger than it really is..Pretend females exist in nature also as I have mentioned...Garter snakes that release a sent that is similar to that of female snakes - The snakes who are male and warm themselves in the sun....cluster on top of this lazy mimicing male...who in turn steals their hard earned body heat and becomes mobile with less effort...Then the clever snake sneaks off looking for a female - he out wits the other male snakes - maybe he morphs into a fashion designer snake later? lol - all in good fun.

Saw one of Fords relatives - a good looking blonde woman who wants to sponsor and play in the near nude foot ball for females....This spectacle is slightly better than the gay day pride parade...at least us straight guys can celebrate being men by watching woman trying to be men........oooops - that's similar to men who badly mimic woman...oh well - it's a colourful world...we should have the right to choose the colour.