Parents of dying Ont. baby withhold consent to end life-support

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No worries....I have been called worse by better people - PET

I'm sure you have been called worse. I've only known you for the amount of time it took to read your Palinesque mouthfart. I can only imagine what people would have to say who have the misfortune of being in contact with your claptrap on a regular basis.

I'm sure you have been called worse. I've only known you for the amount of time it took to read your Palinesque mouthfart. I can only imagine what people would have to say who have the misfortune of being in contact with your claptrap on a regular basis.

:lol::lol::lol:

Two words...False chiclets....

Edited by Jack Weber

It's all good....I don't take myself as seriously as smug Canadians like yourself. After 20,000 posts, you are just another speed bump.

Who cares --- are life support units in short demand?

Do they not pay taxes?

My geuss is that the life support unit isn't needed for someone else and if it was it would be a resource issue - otherwise why cause mental trauma to people?

How much is this costing them - I bet their hospital bill for the birth of the baby made some doctors a few bucks.

How many life support units are there , how many are needed - could another hospital lend one?

Edited by William Ashley

Nature dealt the baby a losing hand. Nothing can be done to save the baby, and prolonging its life at no small expense is ludicrous, just as it was ludicrous to prolong the life of Schiavo's whose cerebral cortex had long ago disappeared to be replaced with cerebral fluid.

Exactly. The reality is that every system has rationing, and something that will do near nothing in a waste of resources.

Totally agree.

As heartbreaking as it is I'd rather make the resources available where a life can really be saved.

Traditionally, children are cared by family. Now the government want to take care of all about children, how to educate them, how to treat them in hospital and others, the government is the dictator of you thought on children, you have no right on how to bring up your children, so that more and more children did not even learned how to control themselves, more become drug users, more indulged in absurd behaviors, more become criminals. Because parents has less and less right to have their own opinion, otherwise, they will face fascists: CAS, cops, court, judges, lawyers, jails, lost money, lost job, lost house, become mental disorder, suicide.

Why the government want to remove your rights?

Because there are powerful lobbies of interest groups that controls the government, they want more money, they ask you to pay more tax, and give money to those public services, such as cops, jails, hospitals, medical industry, CAS, court, lawyers and many more. When you bring your own children, you use less money and take better care, when in those services, they ask for much more money from your tax and take poor care because they are not their children, their goal is make money.

This is current situation in "democracy" countries, actually, this is the so called "human right". In most non-"democracy" country, family have more right to decide how to bring up their own children.

What is democracy?, democracy is powerful interest group dictators have the freedom to make laws to bully you.

Edited by bjre

I didn't see a reason given by the MI Hosp... Did I just miss it?

But the doctors refused, saying it's not in the boy's best interests.

Maraachli and his wife, Sana Nader, lost their appeal before an Ontario Superior Court judge last week to stop the removal of Joseph's breathing tube.

Justice Helen Rady upheld an earlier decision by the Consent and Capacity Board of Ontario, an independent body, which ruled that Joseph's parents must consent to the tube's removal.

However, the family stood their ground and refused consent Monday morning and said they wanted to move Joseph to the Detroit hospital, where he had been previously treated.

From the article. It doesn't talk about what the Michigan hospital based their decision on, but, it's a pretty good bet that it has something to do with the above.

Edited by Smallc

What does DERP mean please....

a little more info from here I think, but it also begs the question: If the baby (or anyone else) reaches this tragic state, why are they put on life support in the first place? Sounds heartless I know, but considering what is being done here, it's no worse. I seem to remember around the time of the Terry Schiavo fiasco, watching an interview with someone about the use of life support systems. He said, it was never meant to sustain life indefinitely, it was only meant to be temporary life support machines enabling the patient to survive for a period of time until they are recovered from a problem.

It is real ethical and moral dilemma, especially when it also comes down to costs and rationing.

http://www.thesudburystar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2987022

Joseph's on a ventilator and fed through a tube. He's in what the doctors call "a persistent vegetative state." The doctors say he's blind and deaf. He's missing all five brain stem reflexes considered necessary for life -- gag, cough, eye movement, pupil and cornea responses. His brain deterioration is irreversible.