Why isn't more done to make more Canadians Polymaths?

A recent study demonstrated that we have the ability to become unilingual or bilingual at approximately the same level - yet the level of bilingualism in Canada is miserably low for a country with two official languages.

Why isn't more being done to target children at a younger age for bilingualism.

Why not provide materials via heritage and official languages that can be assessed by anyone to help their children be bilingual - instead of political attack ads why not connecting people with resources for this?

With an early childhood development program - exposure to french or english at a younger age could be accomplished much quicker.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sa=t&ct2=ca%2F7_0_s_1_0_t&ct3=MAA4BEgBUABgAWoCY2F6AW0&usg=AFQjCNHLcj-2znvsU9c7ASmYr4ijqjsXig&did=5b1175c5a4a7564b&sig2=wG7DftToFMAtELgDuNHdkw&cid=8797661830641&ei=JYhiTZDuH6CINeye4LED&rt=HOMEPAGE&vm=STANDARD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.montrealgazette.com%2Fnews%2Fcanada%2FBabies%2Bequally%2Bprepared%2Bgrow%2Bbilingual%2Bstudy%2F4318182%2Fstory.html

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... polygamy is illegal in Canada, so... :unsure::)

No it isn't.

Canada is a "freeish" country you know.

Bountiful British Columbia is a Mormon community & the mayor had 7 wives & 48 kids last time I checked. Actually 1 left & took her brood with her to PrinceAlbert, Saskatchewan, but you get my point.

I, myself, have had many partners, sometimes interchangeably.

I think the biggest issue is keeping languages after they've been learned at a young age, not learning them in the first place. One of the languages that I learned and was fluent in by the age of 7, I've now almost completely forgotten, because I didn't use it at all after moving to Canada. My French is also getting worse and worse as I use it very rarely. On the other hand, my English and Russian both continue to be very fluent and only improve over time since I use them on a regular basis. My sister is the same way, she was basically trilingual (English/French/Russian) at age 5 but is now only fluent in English.

You nailed that one, Bonam. There has to be some opportunity to use a language in order to either gain or to maintain fluency. There will be no (or very little) French/English bilingualism any place where either Francophones or Anglophones are hens teeth.

Same deal- I'm not going to learn to competently speak Russian unless ther's someone else around who speaks it by preference.

My three grandchlidren here in Manitoba are in French Immersion. In Vancouver, where my son lives, Chinese would probably be a better second language to learn.

Why only "one or the other"

Do both!

imo chinese hard learn.

Youths ability to learn languages apparently diminishes as they age. If you don't do it now, it may take longer later.

Youth need to be bombarded with as much information as possible - the more "meaningful info" as opposed to mindless video games - they have the better positioned they would be - atleast in the past -- in 10 or 20 years if things stay ongoing the world will be devoid and intellectually soulless due to technology.

Cyber interface already exists the technology game is only about refining and perfecting.

No need for implants anymore either - the technology can only grow.

IBM's 2020 mass produced brainchip is also mind boggling why they would be putting implantable chips slated into manufacture.

the brain chip combined with the chip brain make for a odd mix.

http://trendsupdates.com/ibm-to-design-chip-based-on-human-brain/

see: if it doesn't load

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/secret_projects/implants.htm&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&source=www.google.ca'>http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:AhdSEvGmoxwJ:www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/secret_projects/implants.htm+http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/secret_projects/implants.htm&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&source=www.google.ca

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/secret_projects/implants.htm

AND IT IS THE DEFENCE DARPA..

http://www.darpa.mil/mission.html

then you have the brain thought reader etc... these chips could act as a technological amygladia, as well as combining the techonlogies automate and control --- humans without people really knowing.

DARPA’s main tactic for executing its strategy is to constantly search worldwide for revolutionary high-payoff ideas and then sponsor projects bridging the gap between fundamental discoveries and the provision of new military capabilities.

You can "tag and control" entire populations with this technology.

If they have the CIA to control people, even torturing and commiting crimes to do it, then you better beleive it isn't a fantasy they would use this sort of technology. All they need is a technological device for safe implant --- and with nanotech it could even crawl in through your ear and perform surgery. It seems far fetched but this is real.

Of course the USA isn't the only technological nation out there... so it is not just a US threat.. it is just that IBM is gearing up resources to mass produce the stuff and in the US and funded by DARPA a US military thinktank.

Edited by William Ashley

I'm not sure what it is that some westerners have against bilingualism. I'm not sure exactly why it's seen as damaging.

Native speakers of Langauges, as percentage ofpopulation

English: 71.5%

Chinese languages: 8.5%

Punjabi: 4.0%

German: 2.2%

French: 1.4%

As usual, there are better things to spend money on than the french squeaky wheel.

Native speakers of Langauges, as percentage ofpopulation

English: 71.5%

Chinese languages: 8.5%

Punjabi: 4.0%

German: 2.2%

French: 1.4%

As usual, there are better things to spend money on than the french squeaky wheel.

That's completely impossible, given that there are 7M french speakers in a single province, and almost 2 million is just two others. You must be talking about BC, which is only one place.

That's completely impossible, given that there are 7M french speakers in a single province, and almost 2 million is just two others. You must be talking about BC, which is only one place.

My mistake I thought I had included that those numbers were for BC only. Not that it changes anything, I don`t see any reason for British Columbians to cough up a dime to french special interest groups.

My mistake I thought I had included that those numbers were for BC only. Not that it changes anything, I don`t see any reason for British Columbians to cough up a dime to french special interest groups.

I guess maybe BC should be left out of all those bilingual jobs in the federal government huh?

Go BC inclusiveness. Also you are talking about "first languages" the french programs are to teach and train people to develope the second language.

I don't undestand why you would turn down training to enhance your ability to get government jobs, or why you would wish that on everyone else in your province. Then you have the west complain about being isolated -- try learning the languages of the country if you want into to it.. you can't lead if you can't communicate to them.

Sure the whole thing is poorly established (all schools should be bilingually immersed and rolled out. You can't enhance education if you don't plan for it... if a language doesn't have speakers it dies - that is the problem in the west for French - people are too ignorant of their compatriots in the rest of Canada - to learn a language that 1/5th of Canada was born and raised speaking. And is half their own langauge - yeah English is French if you didn't know the French took over England around 1000 AD. The elements of French are the "intellectual" words in English maybe French Xenophobes could actually learn something about their own langauge.

It doesn't make sense why the West of Canada would make themselves ineligible for management positions in government -- its more expensive and more difficult to learn down the road. Why have a secret language in Canada? Don't you want to know what they are saying?

It is extreme idiocy to attack your sister language.

"I don't need it" complex -- well don't complain about not being represented if you can't send people who can communicate to the table.

Right it doesn't work that way 4/5th vs 1/5th.

There is mob rule for you again.

Edited by William Ashley

I do not think we should be forcing people to learn another language just to keep the french happy, all it does is keep the numbers of so called french speaking people up, to keep the money and power flowing, it is sad that someone that only speaks english can't make it in this country.

I do not think we should be forcing people to learn another language just to keep the french happy, all it does is keep the numbers of so called french speaking people up, to keep the money and power flowing, it is sad that someone that only speaks english can't make it in this country.

It is sad someone wouldn't learn French to serve the 7 million who speak it as a first language.

Then monophones - something I am barely not complain that they aren't trained for what they need to do.

It is cultural genocide to eradicate the legitimacy of the French.

French is a blessing to the mind - much like English is complementary to the Francophones.

I don't see why ingrates can't be damned to learn a language or help people learn it.

Understand 7 million people is a sizable amount of population.

It is more than any of the politcal parties.

Edited by William Ashley

I guess maybe BC should be left out of all those bilingual jobs in the federal government huh?

I think the discussion should be about why those jobs need to be bilingual. Does it serve a purpose, or are people just bending over to the french whiners.

Also you are talking about "first languages" the french programs are to teach and train people to develope the second language.

There are four other languages it would be more beneficial for British Columbians to speak

I don't undestand why you would turn down training to enhance your ability to get government jobs, or why you would wish that on everyone else in your province. Then you have the west complain about being isolated -- try learning the languages of the country if you want into to it.. you can't lead if you can't communicate to them.

"They" won't be part of the country soon enough so I don't view it as a skill, more of a bar trick.

Sure the whole thing is poorly established (all schools should be bilingually immersed and rolled out. You can't enhance education if you don't plan for it... if a language doesn't have speakers it dies

Unless you're the French in which case people will throw tax payers money at you so you can shove your culture down other's throats.

that is the problem in the west for French - people are too ignorant of their compatriots in the rest of Canada - to learn a language that 1/5th of Canada was born and raised speaking.

First it was 11%, now its 20%.

And is half their own language - yeah English is French if you didn't know the French took over England around 1000 AD. The elements of French are the "intellectual" words in English maybe French Xenophobes could actually learn something about their own language.

And french is a derivative of Latin, should we be learning Latin now?

It doesn't make sense why the West of Canada would make themselves ineligible for management positions in government -- its more expensive and more difficult to learn down the road. Why have a secret language in Canada? Don't you want to know what they are saying?

It's not the west making themselves ineligible, it’s the east as usual tacking on needless requirements to these jobs.

It is extreme idiocy to attack your sister language.

Sister language? If french has a sister language it's Spanish or Italian, you know the one of the other romance languages. English is a Germanic language... Maybe you ought to read up a bit before you come in here telling people off for not knowing about their own language. Edited by Battletoads