Union Busting in Wisconsin

Wisconsin Republicans will face their first recall election after passing Gov. Scott Walker's anti-union budget "repair" bill. Recall petition organizers plan to file their signatures today against Dan Kapanke (R-LaCrosse).

Kapanke is seen as the most vulnerable of all the eight Republican Senators targeted for recall. So far more than 15, 588 signatures have been gathered.

http://www.care2.com/causes/politics/blog/first-wisconsin-lawmaker-recall-petition-filed/

Hopefully the Dems will be able to pick this guy off.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wisconsin Republicans will face their first recall election after passing Gov. Scott Walker's anti-union budget "repair" bill. Recall petition organizers plan to file their signatures today against Dan Kapanke (R-LaCrosse).

Kapanke is seen as the most vulnerable of all the eight Republican Senators targeted for recall. So far more than 15, 588 signatures have been gathered.

http://www.care2.com/causes/politics/blog/first-wisconsin-lawmaker-recall-petition-filed/

Hopefully the Dems will be able to pick this guy off.

Good luck! I think a lot of that union bullying down there isn't going to be looked upon in a good light.

How's the challenge going in Ohio?

I find it interesting that ALL the democrats flee the state to avoid a vote.But recall a few Republicans for staying and voting.

Somehow forgetting that it is the Democrats who are not being honest with their status as legislators.

:rolleyes:

If you think that is the reason why Republicans are being recalled you are mis informed.

If you think that is the reason why Republicans are being recalled you are mis informed.

Democrats can't stand losing a democratic vote. Simple.

It appears that the WI supreme court vote wasn't the resounding defeat for Walker that was expected.

Looks like the unpopularity of Walker's budget reform was quite overblown. The Republican incumbent won re-election to the Wisconsin supreme court.

You do in the last 150 years only 5 incumbents have lost a supreme court seat. If you think a man who won with 90% of the votes last time winning with 50% votes this time is a win you live in pretend Shady world.

You do in the last 150 years only 5 incumbents have lost a supreme court seat. If you think a man who won with 90% of the votes last time winning with 50% votes this time is a win you live in pretend Shady world.

90%??? How did he manage that?

My bad he had 97% of the vote in 2001. Again in 150 years only 5 people have lost a Supreme court election.

And the incumbent won again. America is not the leftist nation you think it is, or Obama would like it to be. I think he is toast in 2012.

My bad he had 97% of the vote in 2001. Again in 150 years only 5 people have lost a Supreme court election.

Those don't sound like numbers reflecting a real election. How did he manage that? Did anyone run against him? Because Republican judges don't get that support in red states like Texas let alone a blue state like wisconsin.

I think quite the opposite. I think he will get a second term. I am just not sure why I think that yet.

His politics are too similar to that of France.

The reason you are not sure why is a bunch of unevaluated and ignored information that you probably don't want to look at. Unfortunately, the Republicans don't have a strong contender. A lot of them are establishment Republicans playing the political game. Americans, in my estimation, don't like politics to be a big part of their life.

The big question to ask is are their enough people that have a vested interest in continuing politics as usual. Obama never brought change to Washington which I think a lot of people thought he would, but he is trying to do as he said, "fundamentally transform America".

If he is re-elected I expect a few attempts at secession which is not a reflection of a unifying, transparent, non-partisan leader who wants compromise from opposition and gives none unless he can make some claim to historical precedent, a la the biggest budget cut ever. And while people are looking at the biggest budget cut ever it is suppesed to obscure the biggest budget ever.

He is a self-centered, know best, elitist politician; a savior of the world. Run! Run fast! Underscore the word "politician" which are noted for trampling on humanity in the name of saving us from ourselves.

Unions forward the collectivist attitude and is probably the reason they are less popular in America now than they were in the fifties and sixties. If they can bully their way in WI and a few other places

that seem to be heating up and gather enough support and "sympathy" then Obama might win a second term.

We'll see if America will sacrifice it's principles of individual freedom for the collective good, which is where Obama wants to take America. Are there enough that will follow? Americans are not really good followers. They like to be leaders. Obama represents himself as the leader of the followers not the leader of leaders.

• 1 month later...

I remember saying this Bill would be struck down because of the open meetings law. Looks like I was right again. Bill Busted the Republicans are forced to re-pass it if they want it to be law because right now it was thrown out.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings...and she is a Republican.

I remember saying this Bill would be struck down because of the open meetings law. Looks like I was right again. Bill Busted the Republicans are forced to re-pass it if they want it to be law because right now it was thrown out.

That isn't the end of the process....as BC points out.

Madison - The state Department of Justice asked the state Supreme Court on Friday to immediately vacate a judge's decision that voided a plan by Gov. Scott Walker to greatly limit collective bargaining for public workers.

In its filing, the department said Dane County Circuit Judge Maryann Sumi made so many errors in a ruling Thursday that the Supreme Court should throw out her decision even before it hears oral arguments in the case June 6.

"These errors amount to a fundamental denial of due process and reveal the extent to which the circuit court was willing to exceed its jurisdiction in order to invalidate a politically controversial act of the Legislature," wrote Deputy Attorney General Kevin St. John.

Link

Looks like she really screwed up.

Sumi, who wrote in her decision that the there was “no conflicting senate” rule that would contradict the open meeting law’s time requirements (24 hours notice for a legislative conference committee, from which a bill can then be brought to the floor).

But as law professor William Jacobson points out on his blog, there is indeed such a rule and that it specifically exempts committee meetings held during special sessions.

Link

Looks like she really screwed up.

Yah the REPUBLICAN judge who was appointed by TOMMY THOMPSON who the REPUBLICAN governor right now says is a saint screwed up? Sure Shady sure. Either way it keeps the story in the news for the next few months leading up to the recall vote.

• 2 weeks later...

MADISON, Wisconsin (Reuters) – A sharply divided Wisconsin Supreme Court on Tuesday ruled that a controversial measure that curbs the collective bargaining rights of public workers in the state can go into effect.

In what was essentially a 4-3 decision, the high court overturned a lower court, which had ruled Republican lawmakers violated the state's open meetings law when they passed the measure in March.

"Access was not denied," the Supreme Court declared in Tuesday's decision. "There is no constitutional requirement that the legislature provide access to as many members of the public as wish to attend meetings of the legislature or meetings of legislative committees."

David Prosser, whose recent reelection to the state's high court had been hotly contested by opponents of the union measure, wrote in his eight-page concurrence that GOP legislators had good reason to rush things they way they did, given the ugly mood of protesters at the Capitol.

"The circuit court concluded that the legislature should have provided public notice of the special session conference committee 24 hours in advance," Prosser wrote.

"The court did not acknowledge that thousands of demonstrators stormed and occupied the state Capitol within a few hours of the notice that a conference committee meeting would be held."

But in its ruling on Tuesday, the Supreme Court said the circuit court judge had overstepped her authority and violated the separation of powers in the state constitution.

The court said "one of the courts that we are charged with overseeing has usurped the legislative power which the Wisconsin Constitution grants exclusively to the legislature ... exceeded its jurisdiction, invaded the legislature's constitutional powers ... and erred in the enjoining the publication and further implementation of the Act."

Yah the REPUBLICAN judge who was appointed by TOMMY THOMPSON who the REPUBLICAN governor right now says is a saint screwed up? Sure Shady sure. Either way it keeps the story in the news for the next few months leading up to the recall vote.

What don't you get about democracy? The REPUBLICAN judge was elected. The REPUBLICAN governor was elected. You don't like the results - now there has to be a recall vote. Democrats just have to get it their way - waaaahhh!

His politics are too similar to that of France.

Agreed, he's a world citizen, not particularly a lover of his own country.
Unfortunately, the Republicans don't have a strong contender. A lot of them are establishment Republicans playing the political game.
Anyone who's a "shoe-in" at this stage is peaking too early. Just ask Hilary Rodham Clinton. The current crop will be whittled down fast. I expect that anyone that played a role in the 2008 debacle, including Mitt Romney, already-withdrawn Huckabee, and (nominally non-candidate) Palen to be gone from the field.
Americans, in my estimation, don't like politics to be a big part of their life.
Except for those that do.

The big question to ask is are their enough people that have a vested interest in continuing politics as usual.

The voters have an annoying habit of not wanting to be dictated to.
Obama never brought change to Washington which I think a lot of people thought he would, but he is trying to do as he said, "fundamentally transform America".

***************He is a self-centered, know best, elitist politician; a savior of the world. Run! Run fast! Underscore the word "politician" which are noted for trampling on humanity in the name of saving us from ourselves.

He's a fraud and a phony. Makes the Wizard of Oz look like he has substance.

If he is re-elected I expect a few attempts at secession which is not a reflection of a unifying, transparent, non-partisan leader who wants compromise from opposition and gives none unless he can make some claim to historical precedent, a la the biggest budget cut ever. And while people are looking at the biggest budget cut ever it is suppesed to obscure the biggest budget ever.

Secession is political poison in this country. We lost 600,000 people over that issue.
Unions forward the collectivist attitude and is probably the reason they are less popular in America now than they were in the fifties and sixties.
It's public service unions that are unpopular. Most Americans pay property taxes and it is there that we are being hit in the wallet by the unions. However, private sector workers will find limited success at the public trough. Note that Chrysler and GM were forced into bankruptcy. That was not the case back in 1980.
Are there enough that will follow? Americans are not really good followers. They like to be leaders. Obama represents himself as the leader of the followers not the leader of leaders.
Obama has shown nothing of leadership ability that would make Americans want to follow. He had to use a parliamentary trick to get health care through.