Raising the US debt ceiling

....Because half the population are immigrants from shithole countries, like Jamaica, Haiti, and Guyana.

Visible minority members who are born and grow up in Canada tend to have pretty much the same economic prospects as white Canadians. Why doesn't that happen in the United States?

The very term "visible minority" is inherently racist...and native born "minorities" do not have the same economic prospects in Canada. Another false claim backed up by nothing (of course).

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even when I'm awake...I see hateful Canadians! ;)

Why are you/they so angry at people who live just the way you/they do?

Are you still pissed off over Nixon shock? Get over it!

Sweet. A strawman and a lie. Im not angry at anyone. And I was never angry over "Nixon Shock".

If this weeks edition of your clown comedy routine is the same as last weeks (and the week before, and the week before, and 500 weeks and 20 thousand posts before that) then its probably time for turrets-syndrome-styled non-sequiturs about me watching american TV or working for US companies.

Can ya queue that up for us bozo?

I don't see an inherent anti-Americanism, but an inherent anti-injustice-ism. and it applies to anyone in any place in the world.

It's not that Canadians dislike America in its entirety. I would say we dislike the corrupt aspects of any country, even our own which we know full well is just as capable of doing bad things.

A lot of Canadians really cheered when Obama became president. They too bought into the hype of "change!", believing it might mean reforms that lead the country away from the perceived injustice it serves, both inside and outside of America. The point is, that shows we're not inherently anti American at all. Just like most of you, we want the good America.

This is a recurring theme....bash America as best they can, only to be shown circumstances in Canada for which they make excuses. I guess Canada's problems can be made to appear less so by comparisons to the USA. This would be consistent with a Canadian identity defined by !American.

Not me, I bash both Canada and America, both failures in my eyes.

I'm suggesting that once again, what's presented as something negative in the United States - also exists in Canada. If some Americans like/prefer gated communities, so do some Canadians.

Yes, murder is present in Canada too, just to a far, far lesser extent than in the United Stats.

That does not mean the social circumstances are comparable.

Edited by Scotty

The very term "visible minority" is inherently racist..

No, the Republican Party is inherently racist. There's nothing wrong with the term visible minority.

and native born "minorities" do not have the same economic prospects in Canada. Another false claim backed up by nothing (of course).

Natives aren't considered visible minorities in Canada. If you're going to obsess over this country you ought to get the terms right.

No, the Republican Party is inherently racist. There's nothing wrong with the term visible minority.

Not in Canada....it's official term for "coloured folks". LOL!

Natives aren't considered visible minorities in Canada. If you're going to obsess over this country you ought to get the terms right.

Already been covered sport...about 15,000 posts ago.

A lot of Canadians really cheered when Obama became president. They too bought into the hype of "change!", believing it might mean reforms that lead the country away from the perceived injustice it serves, both inside and outside of America. The point is, that shows we're not inherently anti American at all. Just like most of you, we want the good America.

So should Americans pine away for the "good Canada"? America isn't yours...by definition.

Sweet. A strawman and a lie. Im not angry at anyone. And I was never angry over "Nixon Shock".

If this weeks edition of your clown comedy routine is the same as last weeks (and the week before, and the week before, and 500 weeks and 20 thousand posts before that) then its probably time for turrets-syndrome-styled non-sequiturs about me watching american TV or working for US companies.

Can ya queue that up for us bozo?

:lol::lol::lol:

Gotta love Miss Saskatchewan,Wheat Festival Queen,huh???

Watch...

She know I have her on ignore so the standard response after I read these is..

Wait for it.....

"So much for having me on ignore"..

I know...It's kind of a let down...

Do you read my posts? They don't exist where I live. Yet houses sell. They do, however, exist in countries worldwide. Even in Winnipeg.

That shows the danger of just googling the words you want to see to do your research. There aren't any real gated communities in Winnipeg and the website is just a traffic generator. I believe there is a gated condo on the outskirts of the city, but I think that just means the doors lock.

What do gated communities have to do with stuff again?

Another member opined that the only current home sales in the US were primarily within "gated communities", and that "gated communities" were in an of themselves an indicator of an even darker doom that awaits America!

When shown that "gated communities" can also be found in Canada, the passion fizzled.

Another member opined that the only current home sales in the US were primarily within "gated communities", and that "gated communities" were in an of themselves an indicator of an even darker doom that awaits America!

When shown that "gated communities" can also be found in Canada, the passion fizzled.

Yeah I dont really see what gated communities have to do with anything. We have some of those up here where I live... mostly seniors. This isnt a high crime area but I think some people just like that way of living. Theyre probably just as scared of a car full of teenagers driving by their house at 2 in the morning and someone shouting "wahooo" out the window as they are of being the victims of serious crime.

Yeah I dont really see what gated communities have to do with anything. We have some of those up here where I live... mostly seniors.

Well, that's the thing..."gated communities" covers a lot of housing territory. If the point was to highlight socio-economic strata in the US, then that idea needs to be better developed. Hell, a state or federal penitentiary is a "gated community", as are military bases with housing.

Some residential developments like to give the appearance of being "gated", complete with faux guard shacks, well landscaped of course. All this means is that access is limited to few street entry points, and the streets may be privately maintained and considered to be private property.

But there are far more pedestrian examples of "gates" for regular rental housing complexes, seniors (as you mentioned), high rise buildings with the same net effect, etc.

Well, that's the thing..."gated communities" covers a lot of housing territory. If the point was to highlight socio-economic strata in the US, then that idea needs to be better developed. Hell, a state or federal penitentiary is a "gated community", as are military bases with housing.

Some residential developments like to give the appearance of being "gated", complete with faux guard shacks, well landscaped of course. All this means is that access is limited to few street entry points, and the streets may be privately maintained and considered to be private property.

But there are far more pedestrian examples of "gates" for regular rental housing complexes, seniors (as you mentioned), high rise buildings with the same net effect, etc.

Furthermore, I don't see anything inherently wrong with the idea of a gated community. Why should people not be allowed to live in a community, on private property, with their neighbors, that does not admit people that don't live there except by invitation? It sounds like it would create a safer and more neighborly environment for those that live in it.

Furthermore, I don't see anything inherently wrong with the idea of a gated community. Why should people not be allowed to live in a community, on private property, with their neighbors, that does not admit people that don't live there except by invitation?

I agree....my mother lives in such a community (for seniors) and there is a big ass iron gate that opens and closes with a keycode or resident actuated callbox. It is pure theatre for anyone really determined to get into the complex, but it does reduce the amount of public traffic and solicitors. The cost of her unit is about $600 per month...certainly not fancy by any measure.

Getting back to the topic, she and her neighbors were worried that Obama and the Congress were going to screw up their monthly social security checks that pays the "gated community" rent!

I could never stand it myself. The lots are usually really small or the places are full of patio homes. I can see how they make sense for seniors though... and I can see why someone might want to live on a private street where theres very little traffic and probably none at night. I have too much junk and not enough phear :ph34r:

This is a recurring theme....bash America as best they can, only to be shown circumstances in Canada for which they make excuses. I guess Canada's problems can be made to appear less so by comparisons to the USA. This would be consistent with a Canadian identity defined by !American.

Does not look like American politicos have much of a work ethic. From this debt "crisis' it clearly appears no one was managing anything. If you have upper management you would hope that they would manage something - looks like no one was working at all and this is the results - If these so-called leaders were taking care of buisness you would have a buisness - looks like they all collected their pay for years and did absolutely nothing.

That shows the danger of just googling the words you want to see to do your research. There aren't any real gated communities in Winnipeg and the website is just a traffic generator. I believe there is a gated condo on the outskirts of the city, but I think that just means the doors lock.

If the definition of a gated community is a series of single family dwellings located within a fenced in area and access through a locked gate with or without a security guard then, as far as I know, there may be one or two that meet this test. If the definition includes multi-level highrise buildings with a doorman and restricted access then there are a number of examples of such here in Winnipeg. The Wellington Crescent area comes to mind.

My son lived in a gated community consisting of a series of four plexes in Irving Texas with entrance and exit via a security card. In the immediate vicinity there were a series of housing developments some not bound by gates and others with gates and more restricted access. There was a Starbucks adjacent to this development where I went to read either the Dallas newspaper or the New York Times first thing in the morning. Most of the people living in the complex my son lived in were, for the most part, younger folks although I did see a few individuals closer to the demographic I occupy.

From my limited exposure to this community it seems like a relatively safe place.

The security features in some of the public housing units here in Winnipeg hasn't prevented much of the violence which seems to play itself out on a day to day basis here so I am somewhat sceptical as to the need for such arrangements.

At the moment I live in a quiet single family neighbourhood and unless health problems present I have no desire to move.

Edited by pinko