Raising the US debt ceiling

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would point out Obamacare was polling at the same level when it came out to.

Nope. Obamacare never polled well. Ever.

Finally read up on the Cut, Cut and Balance Act and the BBA amendment. A bit of a joke i'd say, spending cuts...yet zero cuts in defense spending?

Doesn't sound like you read up on it at all. That a pretty inaccurate summary. Try again.

Finally read up on the Cut, Cut and Balance Act and the BBA amendment. A bit of a joke i'd say, spending cuts...yet zero cuts in defense spending? It looks like a means for Republicans to hammer through an amendment making it much harder to raise taxes. A super-majority? Ya like that will ever fly.

CC&B serves a political purpose for the record, useful during next years elections. Such posturing insulates against voter backlash for the compromise(s) that will ultimately be made.

The debt problem has nothing to do with taxes or spending by themselves, but simply spending more than tax revenues bring in. Any debt-reduction will obviously need cuts in spending AND increases in taxes to be most effective. Does it take a rocket scientist to figure this out? Why does this have to go on ideological lines? Just fix the problem logically.

Because the third rail of politics is/are very popular entitlement programs, going back to the days of FDR. The US Constitution provides for funding the armed services...not prescription drugs or medical care.

So are you saying that Canada is at the mercy of "extremist simpletons"? How did this come to be?

It was the great de-evolution of the famous American system - who ever gathered the most wealth gets to rule - gathering the beans into one pile does not a genius make.

You made me click on the JBLs for that - you are slipping my friend - now give me something funny....the floor is yours...so have you noticed that Obama seems to be shrinking? What's that all about - He seems to be losing power - like a ship with a leak that is listing dead in the water...and the crew is so bored that they have all jumped over board.

...so have you noticed that Obama seems to be shrinking? What's that all about - He seems to be losing power - like a ship with a leak that is listing dead in the water...and the crew is so bored that they have all jumped over board.

I think Howard Davidowitz summed things up pretty well...Obama promised miracles in exchange for blowing another $4 trillion dollars and he came up way short. Inspiring speeches don't count for much if the price is still going up.

I think Howard Davidowitz summed things up pretty well...Obama promised miracles in exchange for blowing another $4 trillion dollars and he came up way short. Inspiring speeches don't count for much if the price is still going up.

Maybe there is just a little girl inhabiting Obamas being? A kid that has gotten hold of dad's credit card and feels that money is power and having a wise mind is of little use in the material world..not to knock Obama to much, but he is a light weight. Do you think the next up and coming high officer to preside over your nation will have some substance? You are pretty much due of a good one----IF AMERICA has learned it's lesson ...but even if it has it seems that it is impossible to get the right person into office - the system is offically defective - wonder if those in power see that? Personally I doubt it. Good vision and supervision has gotten rare. Those that sit in the big chairs will never doubt the validity of their actions...it takes a good man or woman to look at themselves and say "I am wrong" - You can not make it right if you insist on flogging a dead horse even if it is in a state of decay.

BC - Why is it that people like you are not in public office? Do all the good and wise Americans just hunker down and let the storm pass? You seem like a very capable person....You should be President...not joking...but explain to me why men like yourself are not in power?

.... Good vision and supervision has gotten rare. Those that sit in the big chairs will never doubt the validity of their actions...it takes a good man or woman to look at themselves and say "I am wrong" - You can not make it right if you insist on flogging a dead horse even if it is in a state of decay.

I don't think it really matters....the "system" is bigger than any individual or political party. A deal will be done but not enough to upset next year's election cycle. They will just "kick the can down the road".

BC - Why is it that people like you are not in public office? Do all the good and wise Americans just hunker down and let the storm pass? You seem like a very capable person....You should be President...not joking...but explain to me why men like yourself are not in power?

Well, I was class president back in primary school. But people like me wouldn't last two minutes in public office....too direct and insensitive to varied political interests. That's why the "flat tax" never got anywhere....it distilled a sentiment that ignored all the special interests for a pragmatic, broad based, and much simplified tax code. Steve Forbes tried that and got nowhere.

As to your larger question...I'd rather change the water pump on a car than be president, and lots of other more qualified people feel the same way. Washington is for people with large egos who crave power, not box wrenches.

So how are the surrounds on your JBLs....foam still good? ;)

Well, I was class president back in primary school. But people like me wouldn't last two minutes in public office....too direct and insensitive to varied political interests. That's why the "flat tax" never got anywhere....it distilled a sentiment that ignored all the special interests for a pragmatic, broad based, and much simplified tax code. Steve Forbes tried that and got nowhere.

As to your larger question...I'd rather change the water pump on a car than be president, and lots of other more qualified people feel the same way. Washington is for people with large egos who crave power, not box wrenches.

So how are the surrounds on your JBLs....foam still good? ;)

The JBs are large and belong to the kid - They are mostly used for play back when he or I (when he lets me ) record...There is a full drum kit in the former living room - piano - midi-key set up...nice Fender Base a couple of electic guitars - one accoustic...a violin...percussion stuff....not that I am on point here...but the sound that comes out is great - Oh he runs the JBLs via an older pioneer sterio reciever and on to there is a sytem that will take 10 mikes for live off the floor - all the drums are miked if needed..He also has a friend who has a record store...old fashioned stuff for the turn table....and as for the water pumps - I can change one of those...for a person that did not know much about cars - I got pretty good.

So much for the descript ...Washington is like it's little brother Ottawa - same stuff..large egos - power addiction and not the best people for the job - not everyone wants to be boss...but some seem to need to feel important - I don't - cos I already know a am important and don't need to be told.

....So much for the descript ...Washington is like it's little brother Ottawa - same stuff..large egos - power addiction and not the best people for the job - not everyone wants to be boss...but some seem to need to feel important - I don't - cos I already know a am important and don't need to be told.

I never really understood the appeal...had to laugh at the idea of John Kerry joining the Navy just to emulate JFK, only to be beaten by George Bush because Kerry disgraced his uniform. I'm not worried about any of this crap because I am old and remember when we lived well with far less. Today's kids have no idea how good they have it.

Back to the JBLs...I run a pair of L96's from the early 80's. Now that you mention it, my old Pioneer SX-1250 does have two microphone inputs. Hard to explain to a kid with an iPod.

I never really understood the appeal...had to laugh at the idea of John Kerry joining the Navy just to emulate JFK, only to be beaten by George Bush because Kerry disgraced his uniform. I'm not worried about any of this crap because I am old and remember when we lived well with far less. Today's kids have no idea how good they have it.

Back to the JBLs...I run a pair of L96's from the early 80's. Now that you mention it, my old Pioneer SX-1250 does have two microphone inputs. Hard to explain to a kid with an iPod.

No I did not mean the Pioneer - the inputs I was talking about belong to a piece of recording gear...It allows a 8 mikes to run into the computer - The kid has kicked up his hard drive to the point that the memory is pretty impressive - along with a number of recording programs...that are pretty good...You can create what used to cost 175 bucks an hour in the old 24 track analog studio - at home - providing you have a high end recording mike for vocals..Plus if you want REAL orchestrated sound or great techno stuff - It's all there - If you want you can take one of your old pop tunes and make it sound as if you have hired a real symphony....Yes - I had to struggle to dig up the cash to record - the kid does it as his leisure - but _ he knows if you want good gear or anything else you have to work for it.

I don't know how I managed but all of my kids have great work ethics...probably because I gave them nothing and they figured out if they wanted something - they would have to hunt it down and kill it themselves - so to speak - My kid knows about the old technology...you would be amazed these days - a kid interested in music will listen to everything - all we listened to and more...it's pretty good how educated the ones are who desire to learn - it's all there for them - they do have it good.

How so?

Those identifying as Tea Party members lack a proper understanding of the place government plays and in particular the use of debt in ensuring public services are provided. They have ham strung their nominal leader John Boehner in averting the financial crisis looming if the debt ceiling is not given the proper mandate. This next week will determine which model of government is preferred and how the market reacts in the event the Republicans are unwilling to move off the position of intransigence demonstrated to date.

The fundamental question will be whether the Grover Norquist model is the one accepted.

Nope. Obamacare never polled well. Ever.

Yah accept it did. The individual mandate as pointed out by the Washington post polled as high as 70% in favor. I don't remember you using as an argument then to why you were wrong to oppose it. Now I remember it is because you are a hypocrite. Cut Cap and Balance sounds great however when the media takes it seriously and starts explaining what it would to defense, SS and Medicare expect it to drop just like health care did.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/23/AR2009062303510.html?hpid=topnews

Guest American Woman

Yah accept it did. The individual mandate as pointed out by the Washington post polled as high as 70% in favor.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/23/AR2009062303510.html?hpid=topnews

The key words there being "as high as...." because it also polled as low as 44% "depending on the specific provisions."

That's not exactly evidence of "polling well."

The key words there being "as high as...." because it also polled as low as 44% "depending on the specific provisions."

Exactly. Not to mention that there isn't one single reference to a poll speciically regarding Obamacare. It's just more pablum from punked.

One poll on Cut Cap and Balance is just as good as one poll on health care reform. I bet you a polling firm polled Cut Cap and Balance like this "Would you support Cut Cap and Balance knowing it will take the government back to 1966 levels of spending, Cut Medicare and SS by as much as 50% and put the Defense of American in Jeopardy leading lay offs at all levels of government." It would poll at 44% to. You might think that an unfair question but I ask you to go look at the question Rasmussen was asking at the time it was getting 44% support on health care reform.

BTW there is only one poll on Cut Cap and Kill Medicare because no one takes it seriously because of things I listed above. The Republicans needed the Dems to vote it down so they can run commercials about it. There is a reason when it failed in 1998 they didn't bring it back up in 2001 when they controlled both houses and the presidency. It is bad policy, they could of enacted they chose to not to. Think about it.

Edited by punked

One poll on Cut Cap and Balance is just as good as one poll on health care reform.

Once again, you're completely wrong. Cut, Cap & Balance is specific legislation, on paper. So-called health care reform is just a general concept, which means different things to different people. Just more pablum.

Exactly. Not to mention that there isn't one single reference to a poll speciically regarding Obamacare. It's just more pablum from punked.

That poll at 70% Shady was on an individual mandate dummy, which is what you like call Obamacare which I call Romneycare. Like it or not Shady what is good for one is good for the other. HYPOCRITE!

Once again, you're completely wrong. Cut, Cap & Balance is specific legislation, on paper. So-called health care reform is just a general concept, which means different things to different people. Just more pablum.

Nope that poll was not on "health care reform" it was specific to an individual mandate which is specific legislation which was what Romney I mean Obamacare is. Stop being a hypocrite for one minute and learn something.