Raising the US debt ceiling

For another day. But as the anarchist faction in your congress grows it's not difficult to see down the road to where your society dissolves. Further cuts to your miserly entitlements are only going to exacerbate the income disparity situation further. Your minority families scrape by on less than $6,000 a year. Half your population owns 2% of your wealth. Poverty grows while income mobility continues to shrink, and the only homes selling are those in gated communities with high walls and armed guards.

Great society you're building down there.

Complete nonsense, all based in fantasy.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

I realize you are anxious to have this issue resolved but until it is ratified both in the House and Senate and accepted by the President this remains outstanding.

Nope. I'm not anxious in the least. But until it is official, you can keep up the 'doom and gloom' if you're not ready to let it go yet. :)

Guest American Woman

Not anxious, but posting such vital info at 4:48 am...

<auto- insert roll-eyes icons>

Perhaps you could tell me what time you get up, so I can post according to your schedule. :P

Nope. I'm not anxious in the least. But until it is official, you can keep up the 'doom and gloom' if you're not ready to let it go yet. :)

Pardon me if I remain sceptical about the direction being followed. Even if ratification is forthcoming I see much more pain for ordinary citizens in your country. The techniques used by the Republicans in leveraging the debt ceiling will be utilized again. If anything things are about to get a lot worse.

For another day. But as the anarchist faction in your congress grows it's not difficult to see down the road to where your society dissolves. Further cuts to your miserly entitlements are only going to exacerbate the income disparity situation further.

I sure hope so....but it still won't be much worse than Canada as a percentage of GDP. Accordingly, you must think your "society" sucks too. We already know how you feel about immigrants and...errr..."black males".

Your minority families scrape by on less than $6,000 a year. Half your population owns 2% of your wealth. Poverty grows while income mobility continues to shrink, and the only homes selling are those in gated communities with high walls and armed guards.

I live in a "minority family" and our income is more than most others, regardless of your racist labels. Go talk to some poor "majority" families to get a better perspective.

That's what LBJ thought too.

Guest American Woman

Pardon me if I remain sceptical about the direction being followed. Even if ratification is forthcoming I see much more pain for ordinary citizens in your country.

I'm sure you do, and of course what someone living in another country "sees" trumps reality.

The techniques used by the Republicans in leveraging the debt ceiling will be utilized again. If anything things are about to get a lot worse.

If you say so. I didn't really expect anything different from you. B)

Guest American Woman

Your minority families scrape by on less than $6,000 a year.

I know a lot of minority families who would be very insulted by your racist stereotyping.

Half your population owns 2% of your wealth.

Just following the world trend. The richest 2% of adults in the world own more than half of global household wealth .....

Poverty grows while income mobility continues to shrink, and the only homes selling are those in gated communities with high walls and armed guards.

Wow. And to think I see differently every day. Good thing I had you to set me straight!

Good Lord, you have an active imagination! :lol:

It must be, since the well being of the world apparently depends on what we do. <_<

Edited by American Woman

I'm sure you do, and of course what someone living in another country "sees" trumps reality.

If you say so. I didn't really expect anything different from you. B)

Each person has their own reality irrespective of borders. In your country I see a rotten and corrupt political system.

Guest American Woman

Each person has their own reality irrespective of borders. In your country I see a rotten and corrupt political system.

No, people may have perceptions of the reality, but life of an ordinary citizen in the U.S. isn't your "reality." It is, on the other hand, my reality.

No, people may have perceptions of the reality, but life of an ordinary citizen in the U.S. isn't your "reality." It is, on the other hand, my reality.

Exactly. People see the reality that they want to see. Or more accurately, the reality they pretend to be true. It makes them feel superior. In Canada, we have an unfortunately large amount of pseudo-superiority citizens that think they're better than all things American. They also like to shit on all things American. Mostly out of gross misunderstand and ignorance. But it makes them feel better for whatever weird and crazy reasons. I'm sure that Sigmund Freud would have a field day with them.

Guest American Woman

It boggles the mind, really. I'm still rolling my eyes over the claim that the only houses selling in the U.S. are in gated communities with high walls and armed guards. I would love to know how many Americans actually live in such a place. Good grief. That has to be one of the most outrageous claims yet. They don't even exist where I live. I have to wonder - do people really believe that crap? And that "ordinary citizens are going to experience even more pain?" WTF? Ordinary citizens aren't experiencing pain. And apparently minorities are all living on a $6000 income. :blink: And the thing is, families living on $6000 income are likely living in government subsidized apartments all but rent free, getting food stamps, and medicare - and childcare, if they need it while working or going to school/college/university. They aren't living on the streets eating left-over spam out of garbage cans.

Yet, as bleak as America is, I'm told that what we do affects the world - and we are therefore responsible for what happens in the world, for the well-being of the world. We must act responsibly on behalf of the whole world. But. We are not to interfere in the world at all. We are not to police it. It's none of our business what happens in the the world outside of the U.S. We are only to be responsible for the well being of whole world - beyond that, it's absolutely none of our business.

*Whew*

That felt good ...................... :)

Yet, as bleak as America is, I'm told that what we do affects the world - and we are therefore responsible for what happens in the world, for the well-being of the world. We must act responsibly on behalf of the whole world. But. We are not to interfere in the world at all. We are not to police it. It's none of our business what happens in the the world outside of the U.S. We are only to be responsible for the well being of whole world - beyond that, it's absolutely none of our business.

America shouldn't be responsible for what happens in the world but do to certain events it holds the position it does today. There is a reason I want to end thing like central banking, the IMF, the World Bank, the BIS, fiat currencies. I don't want the economics of the planet controlled by a few.

Exactly. People see the reality that they want to see. Or more accurately, the reality they pretend to be true. It makes them feel superior. In Canada, we have an unfortunately large amount of pseudo-superiority citizens that think they're better than all things American. They also like to shit on all things American.....

Where does that come from....Trudeau? Clearly it's not all or even a majority of Canadians. America's critics can be found around the globe, often with good reason, but the wholesale vitriol heaped on America by some Canadians defies logic. We've covered this in other threads, as the topic doesn't really seem to matter, and is made all the more comical by the identical animosity and resentment displayed by/for Quebec in Canada.

America shouldn't be responsible for what happens in the world but do to certain events it holds the position it does today. There is a reason I want to end thing like central banking, the IMF, the World Bank, the BIS, fiat currencies. I don't want the economics of the planet controlled by a few.

What's your alternative? Why do you believe you are so dependent on what happens in the United States? What are you doing to change your "reality"?

In Canada, we have an unfortunately large amount of pseudo-superiority citizens that think they're better than all things American.

And in America,,,

They also like to shit on all things American.

And in America,,,

Mostly out of gross misunderstand and ignorance. But it makes them feel better for whatever weird and crazy reasons.

etc

I know a lot of minority families who would be very insulted by your racist stereotyping.

What the hell are you talking about, you brainless shrew? Pew Resarch came out with the information last month that the income disparity between whites and minorities has never been greater. The median worth of a White American is about twenty times that of a black or hispanic american, and the gap is growing. The racism is in your own society

The wealth gap between the third world and the west is well known. But most nations prefer not to see that level of disparity in their own societies.

US had no choice but to come up with an extension of some kind, for now. I think everyone would have been astounded if they couldn't come to some sort of an agreement. Now I'm no expert but from what I see, this is only a beginning and there is a lot more that needs to be done before they're even on a level playing field, let alone starting to get the economy rolling again.

Problem I have is, without consumer spending and getting new money INTO the system, everything is on hold and the debt will keep increasing. If they keep fritterin away at the system without coming up with an actual solution there won't be anything left to cut. Then they'll be broke for sure.

It boggles the mind, really. I'm still rolling my eyes over the claim that the only houses selling in the U.S. are in gated communities with high walls and armed guards. I would love to know how many Americans actually live in such a place. Good grief. That has to be one of the most outrageous claims yet.

A few cursory checks of google finds little new on gated communities in the US. What information is there quotes census data which is ten years or more out of date. At that time somewhere between 4-8 million American households were in gated communities. I did find information fairly well repeated that 40% of all new homes in California are in gated communities, and in Florida, well over half. But the phenomenon is not well-documented. But as of ten years or so ago the numbers of gated communities I've seen were over 30,000. I have no doubt the numbers are substantially greater now.

And that "ordinary citizens are going to experience even more pain?" WTF? Ordinary citizens aren't experiencing pain

Really? The millions of foreclosures have been entirely painless? The tens of millions who are born into poverty, grow up in poverty, live in poverty, and die in poverty feel no pain?

And apparently minorities are all living on a $6000 income

I misspoke. What I meant to say, as I said earlier, is that the median worth of Black families is $6,000 vs over $113,000 for Whites

Income disparity reaches record levels