Need for National Myths, Canada v. U.S.

. A well worded question would not be so widely open to subjective interpretation as to its meaning.

I think it would be the opposite.

A "defined" set of attachments mean some would say no, while all the same being attached to this country (or any other where asked).

So...Do you love your parents?

"Yes"

Do you love your parents when they drink/discipline you/drive fast?

"No"

"Bonam does not love his parents" screams the headline.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes...straight and to the point. Those who don't have one try to convince us otherwise.

I guess we would have to get into exactly what you are pledging. Allegiance is a pretty ambigous term. Can you tell me some of things you have done in order to honor this pledge?

The pledge and the word "allegiance" in this context are rooted in "Nemo potest exuere patriam" in British law. It was basically a contract between the sitting monarch, and his subjects. So in that context you were very much pledging allegiance to a "government".

But you claim instead of be pledging allegiance to some sort of "concept".... a symbol. What does the contract look like, and how does this "symbol" decide when it needs you?

Edited by dre

I guess we would have to get into exactly what you are pledging. Allegiance is a pretty ambigous term. Can you tell me some of things you have done in order to honor this pledge?

First and foremost....allegiance to one nation over all others as a citizen....with rights and responsibilities....and exercising same with fidelity.

The pledge and the word "allegiance" in this context are rooted in "Nemo potest exuere patriam" in British law. It was basically a contract between the sitting monarch, and his subjects. So you very much pledging allegiance to a "government".

The Americans put an end to that silly notion....constitution and country, with flag as a symbol....trump any his/her highness. Perhaps this confusion is at the root of a very different understanding.

But you claim instead of be pledging allegiance to some sort of "concept".... a symbol. What does the contract look like, and how does this "symbol" decide when it needs you?

It doesn't...we do.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

First and foremost....allegiance to one nation over all others as a citizen....with rights and responsibilities....and exercising same with fidelity.

The Americans put an end to that silly notion....constitution and country, with flag as a symbol....trump any his/her highness. Perhaps this confusion is at the root of a very different understanding.

It doesn't...we do.

It doesn't...we do.

You do what?

Close. The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is God's Country. :)

My country.

My son took his fellowship specialty in Texas and while he lived there I visited him on several occasions. While it certainly had some interesting cultural features I found all the people I came in contact with down there to be quite friendly. When we took in a Texas Rangers baseball game I did notice an element of patriotism expressed at the outset of the ball game. Each society expresses its patriotism in a different way with some more or less attached to such a commitment.

Guest American Woman

My son took his fellowship specialty in Texas and while he lived there I visited him on several occasions. While it certainly had some interesting cultural features I found all the people I came in contact with down there to be quite friendly. When we took in a Texas Rangers baseball game I did notice an element of patriotism expressed at the outset of the ball game. Each society expresses its patriotism in a different way with some more or less attached to such a commitment.

I've been to Houston and a little town called Kemah, and like you, I found all of the people quite friendly -- and there were cultural differences from where I live, too. Which only makes sense considering the size of the U.S., the number of states, and the vast differences among them. There is an element of patriotism at ballgames, I agree. It's part of the fun. But I think that's true in Canada, too. At least I thought so when I went to a Blue Jays game in Toronto. I do agree, though, that each society expresses its patriotism in its own way. I've seen very strong exhibitions of patriotism from other nations, and I think it's great. I think allegiance to one's country is a good thing.

Guest American Woman

...cuz you're not ugly ?

Thank you. :) But Gosthacked said BC was the "American Stereotype," not the stereotype of the "Ugly American." I would hope that they are two different things; that Americans in general aren't stereotyped as "ugly."

Naw I wont keep bugging you... its plain to everyone reading that you cant answer the question. Besides... im sure youre way too busy fulfilling that pledge!

Learn how to play this game:

1) Nobody is obligated to answer your questions

2) Only Americans are allowed to know the answer