Possible European Trip - Summer 2011

So, I'm thinking about taking a trip to Europe this summer. I want to stick to only one country for this trip, and I think I've narrowed it down to either Ireland or the UK. I'm really into both history and natural beauty. I love looking at old architecture and human made structures. Where should I go, or should I consider somewhere else altogether?

Edit: I have 7 - 8 days in country (I want to leave a day for rest when I get home).

Edited by Smallc

So, I'm thinking about taking a trip to Europe this summer. I want to stick to only one country for this trip, and I think I've narrowed it down to either Ireland or the UK. I'm really into both history and natural beauty. I love looking at old architecture and human made structures. Where should I go, or should I consider somewhere else altogether?

Edit: I have 7 - 8 days in country (I want to leave a day for rest when I get home).

One could spend 7-8 days in London alone.

Where should I go, or should I consider somewhere else altogether?

UK is a great choice. You'll have to learn the language.

UK would be my choice of the two...3 days in london should cover the major sites...7-8 days isn't much time, a month would be better but a wee bit expensive...

my next trip this summer Rome...

I'm about to become a 1/3 owner of a multi million dollar retail business. I'll probably never get to take a vacation longer than this again. I plan to spend about half of my time in London if I go. The only thing is at the current time, trips are priced a wee bit expensive. Hopefully they will come down next month, as they usually do.

I'm about to become a 1/3 owner of a multi million dollar retail business. I'll probably never get to take a vacation longer than this again. I plan to spend about half of my time in London if I go. The only thing is at the current time, trips are priced a wee bit expensive. Hopefully they will come down next month, as they usually do.

7-8 days is just too short the first and last day are wasted on actual travel, 9 is the minimum for me, 12-14 my preferred time...If you think you'll never get a long vacation again bite the bullet now put the extra expense on the credit card...

plan it it out well, there are many deals to be had...booking plane and hotel packages together can get you free bonus meal or extra night...and booking through european sites of Venere.com or Travelocity can also save you cash vs booking them through a canadian server...my daughter tells me the public museums of the UK are free admittance...eat like the locals and buy meals in sandwich shops or bakeries I survived 3 days in paris on tasty baguettes(subs) which cost me 9 euros per day, hotel provided free all I could eat breakfast...

You'll have to make up your mind-what nature is left in Europe?

I note the responses upthread all mention man made attractions.

nature is still there you just to know where to look, most of us N americans think of europe in a historical context so that's what we go to see, europe's tourist industry is geared towards that but the natural aspect is there if you want it...europeans see us in the opposite way since we're comparatively devoid of history...

So, I'm thinking about taking a trip to Europe this summer. I want to stick to only one country for this trip, and I think I've narrowed it down to either Ireland or the UK.
How are you planning to travel around either country or as others have suggested, are you thinking of spending the whole time in one or two cities? Where do you plan to stay? Expensive hotels, cheap hotels, bed & breakfast or youth hostels? Do you want to be free to go where you like or do you want a pre-planned itinerary?

IMV, nothing beats a small rental car with a GPS. Hotels in the UK are pricey so I would shop around online before going.

If I were going to Ireland, I would definitely go to the west coast. (Google Cliffs of Moher.)

I agree with you on the cliffs August. On vacation, I like to travel by transit and rail. That said, I'm not really sure I'll be going this year, since I have to choose between the trip and renovations to where I'm living, and right now the renovations are winning lol.

Wyly, I have up to 9 days in country, that doesn't include travel days. I'll never ever after next month get a vacation longer than that without putting an undue burden on my parents (they already have one the ay thing are now). They'll get the same length of vacation, whether or not they choose to go anywhere.

I agree with you on the cliffs August. On vacation, I like to travel by transit and rail. That said, I'm not really sure I'll be going this year, since I have to choose between the trip and renovations to where I'm living, and right now the renovations are winning lol.

Wyly, I have up to 9 days in country, that doesn't include travel days. I'll never ever after next month get a vacation longer than that without putting an undue burden on my parents (they already have one the ay thing are now). They'll get the same length of vacation, whether or not they choose to go anywhere.

I went earlier this year. Flew to amsterdaam, spent 2 days there, then flew to Paris, and spent 2 days there.

Then I took the Eurorail all the way down to Peripignon, and spend a few days in the mountains, in a little commune called Ceret, then over to Italy and Greece mostly by rail. I had 2 weeks though. Love the trains btw. Eurorail is about a million times more comfortable than a plane even though its slower. Theres big booth seats that face each other with a table in between... I played poker, was able to plug in my laptop, etc.

You'll have to make up your mind-what nature is left in Europe?

I note the responses upthread all mention man made attractions.

Oh there's plenty of natural beauty to be had in Europe. The Alps are awesome for one, I could spend months and months there. And there's no lack in the UK either, lots of beautiful natural scenery in Scotland. And yeah, I second the cliffs too.

Edited by Bonam

Eurorail is about a million times more comfortable than a plane even though its slower. Theres big booth seats that face each other with a table in between... I played poker, was able to plug in my laptop, etc.

it would depend on which train you take and how far you need to go, Amsterdam-Paris (train) or London-Barcelona(plane)...a plane would be hard pressed to match the speed and convenience of the bullet trains, city center to city center without the airport check in time and security hassles...euro trains are punctual and comfortable a no brainer for me on short to medium excursions...

• 1 month later...