Individual Liberty

August1991

So you mean like...when somebody in the pub says, "America sucks!"? You can ask if you want, but no response is owed. I do not typically badger members for such responses. All of this chatter is voluntary.

You have low expectations of members, then. Would you expect me to answer a query more than another poster ? Maybe I take this forum more seriously than you do. If that's so, it's because I've been a member of garbage strewn forums in the past and I value this one.

I would expect you, more than say Lictor, to be able to back up your points because you are able to, and you are more careful about what you say... also I'm interested in alternative points of view but only if they're logically solid.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt you will become an expert in Canadian law or for that matter American law. I challenge you to identify a state that doesn't have the capacity to seize property from it's citizenery regardless of the label attached to it.

I suspect you're right that in both countries the government will eventually get its own way. However, it does seem that it's a lot easier for that to happen here in Canada than in the USA.

The Right to Property was left out of our Charter deliberately, you know. It was a bone thrown to Ed Broadbent to get him onside with the Agreement. If such a Right doesn't matter, why was it so important to Ed in the first place?

-

America's strength is not in its leaders; it is in its republican institutions. And these institutions are based on individual liberty.

I wasn't talking about leaders; I summoned Carter's name because he made the sick joke that "the destruction was mutual," a point with which you no odubt agree (you've already determined 50 000 American troops dead more vitial than millions of Vietnamese peasants....who aren't part of the Cold War "costs" incurred by the poor, noble victims (Americans).

I was talking about the institutions. You're the one talking about leaders.

Edited by bloodyminded

I suspect you're right that in both countries the government will eventually get its own way. However, it does seem that it's a lot easier for that to happen here in Canada than in the USA.

The Right to Property was left out of our Charter deliberately, you know. It was a bone thrown to Ed Broadbent to get him onside with the Agreement. If such a Right doesn't matter, why was it so important to Ed in the first place?

As I recall the provincial premiers and there officials were involved in the discussions that culminated in the repatriation of the constitution and the eventual promulgation of the Charter. To subscribe such power to Ed Broadbent is, to say the least, a stretch. As a property owner I am certainly aware of the parameters of property ownership as it relates to land and housing. I doubt there is much difference between the mechanism here and in many of the states in the USA.

Edited by pinko

A number of provinces still strenuously opposed this guarantee. While there was opposition to the whole concept of a Charter of Rights among the provinces, the actual content of the proposed Charter was of less concern, with the exception of the property rights guarantee. Accordingly, this guarantee was omitted from the Charter contained in the proposed resolution of October 1980. In the absence of a consensus on this issue, the government was prepared to defer it to the "second round" of constitutional reform, when it could be incorporated pursuant to the amending formula in the new Constitution.

http://dsp-psd.pwgsc.gc.ca/Collection-R/LoPBdP/BP/bp268-e.htm

Eminent Domain is a great example of why one more conservative judge on the Supreme Court is absolutely necessary.

Hi Shady,

Your note made me curious about who voted FOR this.

The case was Kelo vs. City of New London.

3 of the 5 concurring judges who carried it were appointed by Republicans as it turns out.