Any scotch drinkers?

Anyone have any favourite scotches?

Mine would be Peat Monster, by Compass Box. It's a blended scotch. Strong smoke and peat taste.

http://www.compassboxwhisky.com/home.html

SmokeHead - Another really smokey tasting scotch. THis one is a single malt.

http://www.smokehead.co.uk/

I like really intense, smokey, peaty scotches.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well MSJ & Squid, what you guys like are Islay scotches, my fav too. I like Lagavulin and Bruichladdich best.

If I had to pick my favourite though, it would be the cask strength Arran from the Arran Distillery in the Island region.

if you guys are in Ontario, you could check out some events with the Companions of the Quaich.

Good bunch of people with Scotch not offered by the LCBO on offer.

EDIT: There are chapters in AB and BC as well.

Edited by Shakeyhands

Thanks for all the info!

I will have to try Lagavulin... sounds popular!

I just bought a new bottle... and it is quite nice. Old Pulteney 12yr old. Not my usual taste. Not nearly as peaty/smokey, but very good. It's a Highland scotch from the very north of Scotland, apparently.

Nice to have a change.....

p.s. out of curiosity, according to the BC Liquor website Lagavulin 12 yr old is $115.99. How much is it where you are from? Thanks.

Edited by The_Squid

Now the thirst is upon me. Thanks, assholes.

:)

Try beer...its better ! (did I say that out loud?)

Hate to tell ya but......I have a ton of that shite , I dust it twice a year and open them maybe once every three, that is when anyone wants some that is.

If the Glenmorangie and the Glenfiddich is good stuff (one is a 12 yr old) does it get better with age? Cuz Ive had them both for a dozen years now.

I never touch the stuff.

If I'm at a bar and am in the mood for something that isn't beer I usually go for glenlivet. I find it really tasty. Not a big fan of Johnnie Walker Red. It's cheap but I find it to be really harsh. Over the summer I tried some Johnnie Walker Blue Label. Reaallly smoothe but it wasn't overly spectacular. I'm looking to pick up a special occaision bottle and I've heard the Highland Park 16 is phenomenal.

I used to hate whiskey because I had only ever tried cheap Canadian sewage. But a friend convinced me to try Redbreast, and loved it. Tyrconnell is another Irish whiskey I really like. Tullamore Dew is very nice as a cheaper whiskey.

For Scotches, I have tried Glenmorangie 12, Dalmore 12, Glenfiddich, and Glenlivet. Dalmore had a bit too much of an oak flavor for my liking.

Buffalo Trace is a Kentucky bourbon I thought was pretty good.

A Canadian whiskey I do like is Tangle Ridge.

-k

Buffalo Trace is a Kentucky bourbon I thought was pretty good.

-k

Bourbon is in a lot of ways very similar to single malt scotch, the only differences (well, as large as they are..) are the corn mash and the aging in charred barrels.

You should try a sherry cask aged single malt Kimmy, I'd bet that you'd like it.

Sounds good... can you recommend one for me?

-k

Sure, love to! One of the better ones (and affordable to boot) is from The Edradour, which is Scotlands smallest (and cutest!) distillery.

http://www.lcbo.ca/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/details.do?language=EN&itemNumber=904995

or if you like peat fired Islays, the Bowmore Darkest Sherry Cask is incredible.

http://www.lcbo.ca/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/details.do?language=EN&itemNumber=503649

Imbibe carefully though, there are a lot more tannins in a sherry cask as opposed to a bourbon cask which is usually used.

p.s. out of curiosity, according to the BC Liquor website Lagavulin 12 yr old is $115.99. How much is it where you are from? Thanks.

lagavulin 12 yo islay scotch (scotland)

united kingdom (009765) 700 ml

MLCC: http://www.liquormartsonline.com/

I don't drink alcohol though, so....it doesn't really interest me.

Sure, love to! One of the better ones (and affordable to boot) is from The Edradour, which is Scotlands smallest (and cutest!) distillery.

http://www.lcbo.ca/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/details.do?language=EN&itemNumber=904995

or if you like peat fired Islays, the Bowmore Darkest Sherry Cask is incredible.

http://www.lcbo.ca/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/details.do?language=EN&itemNumber=503649

Imbibe carefully though, there are a lot more tannins in a sherry cask as opposed to a bourbon cask which is usually used.

I will keep an eye open. Have you been to Edradour yourself? It would be neat to visit little distilleries like that. Maybe when I'm rich I will do a tour of scenic distilleries.

I have been wondering about the cost of Scotches and whiskeys. When I return home to Edmonton for a visit, I buy a bottle of something, because it's far cheaper than here in interior BC, even before sales tax is added to the price.

For example, I got my bottle of Dalmore 12 in Edmonton for $43 + tax. I have seen the same bottle here for $70 + tax. Here a bottle of Redbreast costs $56 + tax, in Edmonton I bought one for $42 + tax.

I'm wondering if the difference is due to hidden provincial taxes, or if the difference is because I'm in a much smaller community. Maybe the demand here is not sufficient to make higher-end bottles worthwhile to carry without a big mark-up. Does anybody know? I feel like I'm getting gouged.

-k

I will keep an eye open. Have you been to Edradour yourself? It would be neat to visit little distilleries like that. Maybe when I'm rich I will do a tour of scenic distilleries.

I have been wondering about the cost of Scotches and whiskeys. When I return home to Edmonton for a visit, I buy a bottle of something, because it's far cheaper than here in interior BC, even before sales tax is added to the price.

For example, I got my bottle of Dalmore 12 in Edmonton for $43 + tax. I have seen the same bottle here for $70 + tax. Here a bottle of Redbreast costs $56 + tax, in Edmonton I bought one for $42 + tax.

I'm wondering if the difference is due to hidden provincial taxes, or if the difference is because I'm in a much smaller community. Maybe the demand here is not sufficient to make higher-end bottles worthwhile to carry without a big mark-up. Does anybody know? I feel like I'm getting gouged.

-k

Probably a combination of both. I'm not sure, though. Are BC liquore stores a provincial operation like the LCBO? I know bottles here are pretty much the same price everywhere.