$3 billion a year of your tax money is not enough!

Why is it that the billions of dollars America gives Egypt and Jordan and Pakistan, etc, etc, never get much attention? It only seems to be money directed towards Israel. The lone progressive and democratic country in the Middle East.

I think it's because Israel gets more than just money from the US. I don't see the US working with or giving any weapons/technology to the surrounding arab states. I could be wrong.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be wrong.

You are correct. You could be wrong...

http://www.defenseworld.net/go/defensenews.jsp?n=Jordan signs letter of intent with Boeing for Attack Helicopters&id=4500

The officials said that before leaving Monday on a tour of the Middle East, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice would announce those proposals, along with the plan to sell $5 billion or more in sophisticated weaponry to Saudi Arabia and other rich Gulf states.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/29/world/africa/29iht-arms.4.6885066.html

You are correct. You could be wrong...

http://www.defenseworld.net/go/defensenews.jsp?n=Jordan signs letter of intent with Boeing for Attack Helicopters&id=4500

Well it is but one way the US makes their money.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/29/world/africa/29iht-arms.4.6885066.html

I find it ironic that the article states Saudi Arabia as a moderate state. But then there was a carrot for Israel.

The proposed package would come with a sweetener for Israel: a 25 percent increase in U.S. military aid, from an annual $2.4 billion today to $3 billion a year, guaranteed for 10 years, Olmert and officials in Washington said.

I think it's because Israel gets more than just money from the US. I don't see the US working with or giving any weapons/technology to the surrounding arab states. I could be wrong.

Oh Christ yes...you are most certainly wrong.

But back to the question...given these realities, why the big hard on for only Israel?

Edited by bush_cheney2004

JBG, I got some questions to bounce off you. And yes they are hypothetical.

Do you think the Jews would have accepted another piece of land somewhere else in the world if it was offered at that time?

Would it have been rejected because it was not the ancient homeland of the Jews?

Is the ancient tie the only real reason they have for creating Israel where it is today?

M. Dancer I was wrong about how other countries were created in the area. I'll give you that much.

Why is Jerusalem holy to the religion of Islam?

The Soviets did that...but now the Russkies want money. Too bad.

Edited by DogOnPorch

M. Dancer, Dogonporch and BC. I won't reply to any more of your posts unfortunately, so you 3 can stop wasting your time.

I will reply to JBG once he has time to answer, and I can carry on some kind of civil debate with him.

I feel you pain. It sucks to be wrong so many times in one thread, but I would have supposed you would be used to that by now.

M. Dancer, Dogonporch and BC. I won't reply to any more of your posts unfortunately, so you 3 can stop wasting your time.

I will reply to JBG once he has time to answer, and I can carry on some kind of civil debate with him.

Asking why Jerusalem is a holy place to Islam isn't civil? Informing you that the Soviet Union is no longer there to give the Arabs free weapons isn't civil?

Gee..."shitting on Israel" is so civil. You are forbidden to reply.

Not really. My rankings were based on ODA per capita, while yours are based on total gross aid. Just different ways to look at the #'s.

Also, my stats were from 1999.

Here's the list i was reading, go to page 261, table 11.2: Africa and Development

Unfortunately that seems to be the case. I do not recognize Israel as a state, so I am labeled anti-semetic. Regardless of my, what I think are legitimate reasons, for not recognizing them.

You may not agree that Israel should exist as a state, which is fine, but by the definition of the term "state", Israel meets every criteria and it is without a doubt a "state".

Here's a decent definition of a "state" in an international political sense:

"The state as a person of international law should possess the following qualifications: (a) a permanent population; (B) a defined territory; © government; and (d) capacity to enter into relations with the other states."

Most definitions of a "state" also often include that a state must posses a monopoly over the legitimate use of force (violence), and that the state is a sovereign entity where its sovereignty is recognized in the international system.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

Why is Jerusalem holy to the religion of Islam?

Almost the same reasons why it is important to Israel. What I find odd is that many have no problems with Israel taking land during the 6-day war and calling it spoils of war, when the Jews lost the land in ancient times, and others gained the spoils of war. I find that hypocritical in some fashion.

Are the ancient ties the ONLY reason why Israel exists where it is today? And if another piece of land was offered to them, would they have taken it? Or was it a case of 'Modern Israel or bust'?

Like your daily dump on Canada is civil?

LOL! I knew you could not resist responding.

I don't hate on Canada the way you enjoy "shitting" on Israel. However, I do delight in turning the tables on your smug and sanctimonious Canadian opinions about the US or Israel.

Back to this thread....Israel is an ally of the United States, just like Canada...and deserves no less "support". I don't think some of these folks realize that (from the American policy perspective).

Almost the same reasons why it is important to Israel. What I find odd is that many have no problems with Israel taking land during the 6-day war and calling it spoils of war, when the Jews lost the land in ancient times, and others gained the spoils of war. I find that hypocritical in some fashion.

Are the ancient ties the ONLY reason why Israel exists where it is today? And if another piece of land was offered to them, would they have taken it? Or was it a case of 'Modern Israel or bust'?

So why is Jerusalem holy to Islam? I think I missed it in your post.

LOL! I knew you could not resist responding.

I don't hate on Canada the way you enjoy "shitting" on Israel. However, I do delight in turning the tables on your smug and sanctimonious Canadian opinions about the US or Israel.

Smug is as smug does.

Back to this thread....Israel is an ally of the United States, just like Canada...and deserves no less "support". I don't think some of these folks realize that (from the American policy perspective).

Whoa whoa whoa .. you .. you want to get the thread back on track? What have you done to the real BC_2004?