Hyperbole among Canadians?

Yep....the Americans continued a tradition of actually applying such ideas, and changing them up as well.

But not in any much more significant way than Brazil or Australia.

Yes I have....several times...including the "likes of" how such information was/is applied. This aspect continues to escape you. America has co-opted your elite icons into mere popcorn.

Their not my "elite icons" since I don't aspire to the likes of. You are misapplying your view as mine again, and that simply isn't the case. The only "answer" (a generous term in this case) you have given is one about production values. Seriously, a typical response, but hardly worthy of someone who is so adept at oggling others in equal measure.

Your description of American "culture".

LOL, I don't think so:

Furthermore, your reduction of American culture to a self serving fiction only highlights the import and relationships Canadians have developed and express after years of "exposure" despite any shortcomings.

To which I replied:

And if you believe that American culture is somehow reduced by its self-referential national myths, your wheels have come off the track.

Previous to that we had been discussing the narrow fictional context of American pop culture through exported film - i.e. "Errol Flynn as Robin Hood." So how you arrived at me describing "American culture" as "all fiction" is in itself a fiction and the result of... self-referential thinking.

I accept that Americans - generally - don't really need to prove what they believe and are more than adept at deriving their beliefs from very well crafted stories about a particular topic that interests them.

In the least, I am glad you find this topic generally interesting!

Edited by Shwa

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But, but.... it has modified its radical beliefs... you just SUSPECT that they haven't in their heart-of-hearts from the sound of it. So how could they satisfy you ? They probably couldn't.

The NDPs core values are all about minorities and looking after their well-being. Their primary concerns are always with alleged discrimination, with advancing the agendas for gays and lesbians, for affirmative action on behalf of visible minorities,and for heavy taxation of the middle class in order to transfer that wealth tot he poor. The NDP is all about causes. And it pays little attention to realities. If doing what they want to do for the environment throws millions out of work, well that's a sacrifice they're prepared to make. It's not like those working people are important anyway - unless they're visible minorities.

The NDPs core values are all about minorities and looking after their well-being. Their primary concerns are always with alleged discrimination, with advancing the agendas for gays and lesbians, for affirmative action on behalf of visible minorities,and for heavy taxation of the middle class in order to transfer that wealth tot he poor.

what kind of monster are you? "alleged discrimination"!?!?!?

affirmative action is absolutely just and transferring the wealth of the rich classes to the poor is a positive thing...

Oh I get it, youd rather be oppressing people... k k

The NDP is all about causes. And it pays little attention to realities.

The NDP's latest cause is Sri Lanka.

NDP MP Paul Dewar said the government should focus on helping Sri Lanka to rebuild after a long civil war, instead of trying to block Tamils from entering Canada.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/harper-vows-to-toughen-laws-as-tamils-zip-through-hearings/article1676616/

Canada's NDP - nation builder.

Ok, so... what was the reason in your mind ? I don't know enough about Scotland to say. Maybe it was the resources and land available to Americans ? What percentage of Scots owned their own land versus farming on leased land ?

Oh, I'm not saying public education wasn't a factor in America's development; merely that America didn't invent it. As for Scotland, the country is the size of a postage stamp. Most Scots took their gained education and made something out of themselves in other parts of the Empire.

Says you, but that isn't the topic here. Canadians do not cite Australian or Brazilian references in equal measure compared to the Americans, which was/is the topic.

But Australia and Brazil were 'for example' outside references (but it could as easily be Britain or Germany or Japan or China) which is completely on-topic.

It doesn't matter what the names of the things are, it's still based on the Westminster System.

Oh but it does matter "what the names of the things are" if you were actually following the topic of that particular discussion. So do you want to give us some insight into why those names are as they are in la belle province, or does that not fit in with the role you have chosen here?

Oh, I'm not saying public education wasn't a factor in America's development; merely that America didn't invent it. As for Scotland, the country is the size of a postage stamp. Most Scots took their gained education and made something out of themselves in other parts of the Empire.

...or America as was pointed out.

No. America didn't invent education, science or agriculture but they invented the American Way, which is a framework for individuals to prosper based on their skills and work.

No. America didn't invent education, science or agriculture but they invented the American Way, which is a framework for individuals to prosper based on their skills and work.

When was the "American Way" invented, do you have an approximate date for that?

Oh but it does matter "what the names of the things are" if you were actually following the topic of that particular discussion.

And it doesn't matter what the topic was. The Quebec National Assembly is a Westminster style parliament.

The Bougoisie and the Petit Bourgoisie...

Have'nt you read The Communist Manifesto?

No no no

There are the rich

the filty rich

Thwe Wealthy

The fabulously wealthy

The independantly Wealthy

The nouveau rich

The Old Money

The Landed Gentry

The Money Bags

The Loaded

The Well to Do

Well Heeled

The Idle Rich

....and so on

No no no

There are the rich

the filty rich

Thwe Wealthy

The fabulously wealthy

The independantly Wealthy

The nouveau rich

The Old Money

The Landed Gentry

The Money Bags

The Loaded

The Well to Do

Well Heeled

The Idle Rich

....and so on

Don't forget the Stinking Rich, who are related to the Filthy Rich in a way. Then there are the lottery winners...