Oblivion...

Oblivion Elder Scrolls IV is, of course, one of those inanely addicting FRPGs that you can mod to the maximum...

This one is actually popular with the ladies as it does what The Sims tried so very hard to do only much much better. There are way more than 100 ways to die, naturally...
:lol: Edited by DogOnPorch

As an interactive storytelling experience, Oblivion is not in the same league as games like Knights of the Old Republic or Mass Effect or Dragon Age.

But as a piece of beautiful, customizable eye-candy, Oblivion is still in a class of its own. It's still the PC game I own that makes the fullest use of my graphics card. I still occasionally fire it up, just for the pleasure of the beautiful landscapes, beautiful skies, dressing my beautiful Virtual Kimlet in beautiful armors and arming her with beautiful weapons...

Some of the work that hobbyists have created for the game is nothing short of astounding. I think I've replaced every landscape and city in the game with packs from the Beautiful Landscapes and Beautiful Cities series, and obtained just about every tweak and enhancement to the sky and the water and faces and vegetation and equipment and the textures that one could possibly get. I don't think there's much left for me to do in the game itself, but it's still a nice place to visit once in a while.

-k

...but it's still a nice place to visit once in a while.

-k

Ditto here, kimmy. Both my wife (who bought the darn thing) and I have spent numerous hours enjoying Oblivion and its older cousin, Morrowind.

It is a haul on the ol' video card...agreed; 512mb is pretty much a given for the full enchilada. Even then, some particular cards have issues with the game...purple water being a common complaint.

kimmy: dressing my beautiful Virtual Kimlet in beautiful armors and arming her with beautiful weapons...

Apachii Goddess Store anyone??

:lol:

The girls get the best goodies in Oblivion. Perhaps because some of the best modders are women...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI5CUlnFCMw

...then there's yer 'sexy walk'...

And deals like this to flesh out the Sims portion of the game...not to menion the 'playing house' portion of the game which my wife has endless capacity to do...placing furniture...wine bottles into racks...throw cushions onto the sofa...etc.

http://gamesource.ru/home/content/view/307/1/

http://gamesource.ru/home/content/view/314/203/

http://gamesource.ru/home/content/view/284/203/

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=24079

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=13275

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=30048

(NSFW)

kimmy: I don't think there's much left for me to do in the game itself...

-True once you get the vanilla Sean Bean, Patrick Stewart, Lynda Carter...et al...quest completed. But, other than that, it is the never-ending story with all the modders still going full bore. You can also start a character and never go to Kvatch...thus never triggering the whole Oblivion thing.

-The various companion systems (like this one) also allow you to recruit small armies of NPCs to do your bidding which is quite fun when dealing with some of the deadlier tasks. Makes all those buildings/towers/castles you end-up with important as you need them to house your private gangs of guys n' gals.

-The Game of the Year edition was released not too long ago adding greatly to the mods being made for what is actually a pretty old sim.

Good blurb of yours on the other thread re: video games.

B)

Edited by DogOnPorch

If you want to bring your system to it's knees ... try Crysis and Metro2033.

I built a new system a couple months ago, and I played Crysis at full, it still glitched out a bit in some sections, the DX10 stuff was not fully optimized in some areas of the game. But that did not stop me. Overall it's the best looking game in existence right now.

Metro2033 was great looking as well, and it's one of the first games that is in DX11. Chunky in some spots, but again not enough to really draw away from the game. Metro2033 was still missing something to me, it felt incomplete :(.

Also, Crysis 2 will be out soon, and I think it's the same engine as on Crysis

No love for Fallout 3, :D ? Of course, the beauty of that game lies more in its exquisite dreariness and ruin; though Fallout: New Vegas will be much more colourful and " pretty " rather than being just a washed out deadland. If you can play Oblivion, I am sure your computer can take Fallout 3, though with the settings turned down.

That's amazing!

I don't know whether it's amazing because it demonstrates how much you can do with objects and physics in Oblivion, or if it's amazing because some doorknob spent all the time to actually make that. :lol:

-k

That's amazing!

I don't know whether it's amazing because it demonstrates how much you can do with objects and physics in Oblivion, or if it's amazing because some doorknob spent all the time to actually make that. :lol:

-k

He or she no doubt used the Construction Set to set that up...far less tedious.

That's it I GOTTA get that game. I've been planning to forever but there is always another game I need to get first. Fable 2 kicks ass, and Fable 3 should be even better. I played Morrowind a lot on my old xbox, but never got oblivion. Fallout 3 was great, I borrowed it for about 2 months from my cousin. I completed the main story in about a week but there are so many side quests and achievements to go after. Knights of the old Republic was fun too. I love RPG's for the great storylines. I still think the original Halo is the best game EVER. I also used to love Harvest Moon on my ols PS2. Very addictive, if simplistic.

Kids on line playing games - become oblivious to the world..when you forget the world it forgets you.

1. Oblivion isn't online capable.

2. It has an R rating for the PC version.

3. As mentioned, popular with the ladies.

4. Why post in a thread in which you have zero clue what folks are talking about?

Edited by DogOnPorch

Got the game of the year edition for 360, already burned through about 5 hours. Note to self: SAVE GAme more often. Re-doing whole areas is not really that fun.

Agreed re: saving.

Unfortunately the 360 version can not be modded. The PC version becomes a different animal altogether once you add the extended executable.

http://obse.silverlock.org/

Edited by DogOnPorch

I played Oblivion for a while about two years back but somehow it didn't keep my attention. The way the world was made, it felt like an MMORPG, but without the other players.

Not trashing on the game, I can certainly appreciate it, just wasn't that entertaining for me.

• 1 month later...

I played Oblivion for a while about two years back but somehow it didn't keep my attention. The way the world was made, it felt like an MMORPG, but without the other players.

Not trashing on the game, I can certainly appreciate it, just wasn't that entertaining for me.

It has to be modded with certain 'key files' and have the other half of the executable installed before it is worth playing.