Asian mall in Toronto

Why is that?

We obviously are not representative of this country so please tell me why we aren't getting participation from everyone else?

Why don't they come on here and talk about politics and such?

Just curious.

(and yes I know what the answer from the far left is going to be).

You do realize that this is essentially an anonymous message board that has no prerequisite on ones ethnicity,right???

You really should stop acting like a half wit and embarassing yourself...

Obvious foreign dress and heavily accented English (or no English at all!) make me feel like I'm no longer in Canada.

You should come live over here.

Why would anyone think that this is some sort of place to call home.

I have a bunch of people in rags and cloth around their heads loitering the sidewalks. People who do not speak English and don't consider themselves a member of my country.

How can I look around and consider this place my home?

I have a bunch of people in rags and cloth around their heads loitering the sidewalks. People who do not speak English and don't consider themselves a member of my country.

Then move ya moron!

And what place would that be? Where I live, I have not seen people in rags (except for the homeless) and with cloth around their heads. I have rarely met people unable to speak English, and while I know there are some people in my place who do not consider themselves Canadians, there is no lack of losers who would not consider them Canadians no matter what.

BTW, the place where I live is called Toronto.

Out of curiosity, what is the definition of an "Asian mall"? The nature of the businesses? The ethnicity of the business owners? By what means will this "Asian" characteristic be achieved and maintained?

What if they get a bunch of lease applications from non-Asian business people who want to open shops that are not particularly Asian in theme?

-k

Well, if you look at the Pacific Mall at Kennedy & Steeles you would know right away it's Asian. All lettering is in Chinese, you'll be hard pressed to find English (or French) anywhere, when you go into the mall it's more than obvious when you see the merchandise and the vendors. http://www.guidingstar.ca/Pacific_Mall_&_Market_Village_in_Markham.htm

a Grand Asian Shopping Experience, although it has been raided more than once for pirated videos. :)-

I did read that there was an expansion going on, not sure what happened, I don't go there any more.

BTW, in the same neck of the woods, even the seniors centres and nursing homes are all Asian.

found this

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/653446

Edited by scribblet

What if they get a bunch of lease applications from non-Asian business people who want to open shops that are not particularly Asian in theme?

Since all business correspondence is done in Chinese the applications would be filed in the 'round file'.

I know this for a fact since an old associate of mine worked as head of security for Parker Place Mall in Richmond-one the earlier Chinese (not Asian Chinese) malls in Richmond.

From him I learned how cronyism permeated the business of the mall-how RCMP were called on certain people but not others even if was obvious they dealing drugs in the mall.

Out of curiosity, what is the definition of an "Asian mall"? The nature of the businesses? The ethnicity of the business owners? By what means will this "Asian" characteristic be achieved and maintained?

-k

All the shops are owned and run by people from East Asia. Mostly China. Lease applications would probably be denied because mostly Chinese people use the mall. Like Jack Weber said, it's good business. In the Asian malls around me, they sell a lot of bootlegged merchandise from dvds to designer glasses. There are also cell phone shops. The one by my old office had no less than 3 herb stores of the exact same franchise.

Woah is this Kimmy asking this?

That's the least person I would expect asking this. A normal, fair question that is unbiased.

Not sure where this is coming from, but the VAST majority of Kimmy's posts are unbiased. I can't wait until she see's this and destroys you with her particular brand of rapier like wit. Good Luck.

-k

The Pacific Mall, located in North Toronto, is the largest indoor Asian mall in North America. It is a shopping attraction that incorporates a traditional Pacific market style. It has 400 stores selling a large variety of retail goods as well as herbs, prepared Chinese foods and entertainment. Pacific Mall is surrounded by a shopping complex encompassing over 500 stores and has over 1500 indoor and outdoor parking spaces for your shopping convenience.

The Pacific Mall and other shops in the complex are highly influenced by the oriental artistic style. Visitors locals and tourists are offered a unique oriental shopping experience.

http://www.pacificmalltoronto.com/about.html

Lived in Markham for a couple of years...Forget the beautiful and hopeful notion of a multi-cultural society...We have a new system of social organization...it is called

GHETTO.

There is nothing we can do about it - You bring in a ton of people from other nations (family) that nation will create a smaller nation withing a nation..It's human nature and the tribal system - and no one can change that.

Lived in Markham for a couple of years...Forget the beautiful and hopeful notion of a multi-cultural society...We have a new system of social organization...it is called

GHETTO.

There is nothing we can do about it - You bring in a ton of people from other nations (family) that nation will create a smaller nation withing a nation..It's human nature and the tribal system - and no one can change that.

Closer to the truth than most posters know Click Here to learn all about the so-called Golden Village.

Ya think?

Lets quote your link "Richmond is largely an affluent suburb"

Yea, a real ghetto

Especially funny because, you know, Richmond and Markham. Definitely the same area of the country. I thought there might have been a typo and the poster meant Richmond Hill, but nope.

Anyway, I've lived in Markham or next to Markham for my entire life. I've never had a problem. 99% of the people don't have a problem. What's the big deal? The only people with a problem with multi-culturalism seems to be the whackjobs that for the most part live no where near these areas.

Ya think?

Lets quote your link "Richmond is largely an affluent suburb"

Yea, a real ghetto

Your childish response adds little to the thread.

FYI Ghetto has a number of meanings-one of which is 'A district where members of an ethnic, religious or cultural minority are congregated' note there is no mention of economic status.

In Vancouver the neighbourhood known as the West End is often called a 'Gay Ghetto' other cities have them as well.

Your childish response adds little to the thread.

FYI Ghetto has a number of meanings-one of which is 'A district where members of an ethnic, religious or cultural minority are congregated' note there is no mention of economic status.

In Vancouver the neighbourhood known as the West End is often called a 'Gay Ghetto' other cities have them as well.

Fair enough, however the context is normally applied to economically depressed areas and of course our resident abuser was referring to a poor area (meaning he 's never been there).

Want to bet the gay ghetto is called that because of reasons not having anything to do with ethnicity religious or culture?

Someone is "gay" when they are happy. But we both know if I referred to someone as a gay chap..............

Edited by guyser

Not sure where this is coming from, but the VAST majority of Kimmy's posts are unbiased. I can't wait until she see's this and destroys you with her particular brand of rapier like wit. Good Luck.

Thanks, Shakey. I do try to be objective, but when it comes to these immigrant and immigration related threads I do have one persistent prejudice, namely that MikeDavid00 is an idiot.

The Pacific Mall, located in North Toronto, is the largest indoor Asian mall in North America. It is a shopping attraction that incorporates a traditional Pacific market style. It has 400 stores selling a large variety of retail goods as well as herbs, prepared Chinese foods and entertainment. Pacific Mall is surrounded by a shopping complex encompassing over 500 stores and has over 1500 indoor and outdoor parking spaces for your shopping convenience.

The Pacific Mall and other shops in the complex are highly influenced by the oriental artistic style. Visitors locals and tourists are offered a unique oriental shopping experience.

http://www.pacificmalltoronto.com/about.html

Now, see, that I could buy as a perfectly reasonable explanation. But this...

All the shops are owned and run by people from East Asia. Mostly China. Lease applications would probably be denied because mostly Chinese people use the mall. Like Jack Weber said, it's good business.

...not so much.

I could see a justification for denying an application if the nature of the business didn't fit the theme of the place.

But denying an application because the person who applied had the wrong country of origin? I would think that could end up in court.

-k

I could see a justification for denying an application if the nature of the business didn't fit the theme of the place.

But denying an application because the person who applied had the wrong country of origin? I would think that could end up in court.

-k

Correct. There is no proof that anyone has been denied a lease based on ethnicity. Mall operators would deny a lease to a company that they feel is not in keeping with the theme of their mall...for instance, how many big malls (the ones with marquee stores) have sex shops in them? That being said, I have not heard of any sex shops applying for a lease in any big mall.

On the otherhand, a quick look at the store directory shows that FIDO,Telus and Rogers have venues there...I can't say if cell phones are uniquely asian.

...all that is required is a vendor who wants to target the Asian community....and obviously, the ability to communicate with them.