More Liberal Tolerance At University of Ottawa

Machete used in anti-Semitic attack

OTTAWA — A well-known student supporter of Israel at Carleton University and an Israeli engineering student at the university say they are counting themselves lucky to have survived an attack with what they say was a machete near a Gatineau bar early Monday.

Nick Bergamini, 22, vice-president of the Carleton University Students’ Association, said he and roommate Mark Klibanov were leaving Le Volt bar on Promenade du Portage at 1:45 a.m. when a group of about 10 men began yelling in English and Arabic that they were Zionists and Jews.

Link

Isn't 'Israeli Apartheid Week' enough for these people?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be expected... antisemitism is rapidly on the rise in Canada, and this is obviously tied to the influx of Arab immigrants. I have personally seen incidents on the very edge of open violence at UBC related to gangs of Arabs during apartheid week.

The more immigrants from the middle-east are let in the greater the physical danger to members of the Jewish community in Canada will become. Trying to gloss this over is nothing more than political correctness in the face of mortal danger.

Edited by Bonam

Guest American Woman

Trying to gloss this over is nothing more than political correctness in the face of mortal danger.

And trying to make it into something it's not is nothing more than dishonesty.

And trying to make it into something it's not is nothing more than dishonesty.

What is it not? An attack by Jew-hating Arabs on some Jewish students who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time? I think that's precisely what it is.

Edited by Bonam

Guest American Woman

What is it not? An attack by Jew-hating Arabs on some Jewish students who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time? I think that's precisely what it is.

What is isn't is what the title of this thread, and the opening post comment, claims. And you have no problem with that?

Edited by American Woman

It would help a lot though if Israel were to halt their building plans in Jerusalem so the two sides might have a mutually acceptable reason to get back to the table in earnest to work out a lasting peace accord beginning with the West Bank folks. Perhaps if the folks in Gaza were to see some progress, they might elect to become part of the solution.

Just a thought. Maybe its too much to ask.

What is isn't is what the title of this thread, and the opening post comment, claims. And you have no problem with that?

You mean that he made a mistake about which university it's at? So it was at Carleton instead. Obviously the title should be edited.

That doesn't make the issue any less.

Edited by Bonam

It would help a lot though if Israel were to halt their building plans in Jerusalem so the two sides might have a mutually acceptable reason to get back to the table in earnest to work out a lasting peace accord beginning with the West Bank folks. Perhaps if the folks in Gaza were to see some progress, they might elect to become part of the solution.

Just a thought. Maybe its too much to ask.

Irrelevant. People who come to Canada should leave their old conflicts aside. If they cannot do that, then they shouldn't be here. We don't need to be importing the Arab-Israeli conflict to our streets.

Guest American Woman

You mean that he made a mistake about which university it's at? So it was at Carleton instead. Obviously the title and the OP should be edited.

That doesn't make the issue any less.

Obviously.

It's a pretty big mistake, to get the university wrong. It also has nothing to do with the university; it's not an example of anything at any university. It happened at a bar. And the comment about Israeli Apartheid Week is misleading. Last but not least, it has nothing to do with "liberals."

Edited by American Woman

Obviously.

It's a pretty big mistake, to get the university wrong. It also has nothing to do with the university; it's not an example of anything at any university. It happened at a bar. And the comment about Israeli Apartheid Week is misleading.

I agree getting the university wrong is a substantial mistake. But the content of the article remains the same. Hate-filled mobs of Arabs are attacking Jews in Canada, and yet we keep importing them by the thousands, with no thought to public safety.

Irrelevant. People who come to Canada should leave their old conflicts aside. If they cannot do that, then they shouldn't be here. We don't need to be importing the Arab-Israeli conflict to our streets.

Thats just plain silly. The fact is that conflict is happening and your desire to throw out all the riff raff is what's irrelevant.

The debates over the ME conflict do take place here in Canada and unfortunately they often can generate violence. Yer just gonna have to live with your intolerance towards Arabs.

Guest American Woman

I agree getting the university wrong is a substantial mistake. But the content of the article remains the same. Hate-filled mobs of Arabs are attacking Jews in Canada, and yet we keep importing them by the thousands, with no thought to public safety.

Its' not just getting the name of the university wrong; the incident has nothing to do with the (Carleton) university. The two who were attacked are students there and one recognized one of the attackers as a student. Who knows if the rest were even students? But it happened in the early hours of the morning outside of a bar. Furthermore, saying that it was "tolerated" by the university and liberals is not only completely false, but truly bizarre. It seems to me as if Shady is trying to drum up anger against the university and liberals rather than discuss the incident factually.

Edited by American Woman

Its' not just getting the name of the university wrong; the incident has nothing to do with the (Carleton) university. The two who were attacked are students there and one recognized one of the attackers as a student. Who knows if the rest were even students? But it happened in the early hours of the morning outside of a bar. Furthermore, saying that it was "tolerated" by the university and liberals is not only completely false, but truly bizarre. It seems to me as if Shady is trying to drum up anger against the university and liberals rather than discuss the incident factually.

I don't care about what shady is trying to drum up. If you are gonna quote me you may want to reply to what I am saying not to what shady is saying.

Thats just plain silly. The fact is that conflict is happening and your desire to throw out all the riff raff is what's irrelevant.

The debates over the ME conflict do take place here in Canada and unfortunately they often can generate violence. Yer just gonna have to live with your intolerance towards Arabs.

No, it's not just plain silly. If we get immigrants from Darfur, do we accept that they go start killing each other over the genocide, in Canada? No. If we get immigrants from China, do we accept if they go start oppressing immigrants from Tibet, in Canada? No. When we get immigrants from Russia and immigrants from Chechnya, is it all fine and dandy if they are fighting in the streets here in Canada? No. This is exactly the same. Part of being an immigrant is leaving your old conflicts at home. If people are not ready to do that, then they should not be let into Canada. If they hold their ancient hatreds as a higher priority than starting a new life, then let them stay in the lands that gave rise to their ancient hatreds.

It seems to me as if Shady is trying to drum up anger against the university and liberals rather than discuss the incident factually.

Like I've said. Carleton University is a stones throw away from the University of Ottawa. And they foster the same kind of political environment. The students involved in attacking these particular Jews were members of Carleton University. And I wouldn't be suprised if several of the attackers were also members of the University of Ottawa, aka 'Israel Apartheid' U.

It's not suprising that these folks didn't want Ann Coulter and especially Ezra Levant (Jewish) speaking over at U of O.

Edited by Shady

Guest American Woman

I don't care about what shady is trying to drum up. If you are gonna quote me you may want to reply to what I am saying not to what shady is saying.

I am replying to what you're saying. You said "I agree getting the university wrong is a substantial mistake," and I'm pointing out that it's more than getting the name of the university wrong. You go on to state that you think letting Arabs in is a problem, and I responded by saying I think drumming up anger against the university and liberals, who are not guilty as claimed, is a problem.

I am replying to what you're saying. You said "I agree getting the university wrong is a substantial mistake," and I'm pointing out that it's more than getting the name of the university wrong. You go on to state that you think letting Arabs in is a problem, and I responded by saying I think drumming up anger against the university and liberals, who are not guilty as claimed, is a problem.

I think there is a strong argument to be made that universities that hold such blatantly antisemitic events as "Israeli Apartheid Week" do much to create an atmosphere where some students (and other members of society) may think that their violent acts against Jews are in some way legitimate or justified.

And before you respond with saying that Israeli Apartheid Week is not antisemitic and is rather merely legitimate criticism of Israel, let me tell you that I have personally seen the event at UBC and it contained all the signs of both classical and new antisemitism. The event included symbology such as: an Israeli flag morphed into a Swastika, Jews wearing the same armbands they were forced to wear in Germany injecting Palestinian children with AIDS, and maps of Israel labeling the entire region "Palestine" with all the towns and cities renamed to Arab names. This was all accompanied by bearded Arabs yelling through megaphones about how Jews and Israel are the root of all evil.

When impressionable Arab youths, already filled with much loathing for Jews as a part of their culture, are exposed to these kinds of events, they very well may become enraged enough to go commit violent acts. For all of Canada's laws against hate speech and incitement of violence, the events and groups that could most warrant the existence of such laws seem to go completely ignored.

Edited by Bonam

Mr. Canada, is that you?

Well, I'm sorry, but the racism in your statement makes it hard to distinguish. Painting Arabs with some kind of hateful brush is simply disgusting.

Denying that antisemitism is extremely prevalent among Arabs would be even more disgusting. It is the simple truth. The fact that importing large numbers of immigrants from areas of the world where Jews are hated increases the danger to Jews in Canada is undeniable. It is not an issue of hate but of truth.

Edited by Bonam