No Extradition for Marc Emery

Libby Davies(NDP), Ujjal Dosanj(Liberal), and Scott Reid(Conservative), all asked the justice minister Rob Nicholson to refuse to extradite Marc Scott Emery, Canada's "Prince of Pot". THey presented a petetition containing thousands of signatures, in a a rare showing of cross party co-operation to ask the justice minister to stop this travesty of justice. Contact Rob Nicholson and tell him to refuse extradition. Also take the time to call these three excellent MP's and thank them for standing up for a patriotic Canadian like Marc. Most people only call when they are pissed about something. When MP's do something good like this we should call them to voice our support.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Libby Davies(NDP), Ujjal Dosanj(Liberal), and Scott Reid(Conservative), all asked the justice minister Rob Nicholson to refuse to extradite Marc Scott Emery, Canada's "Prince of Pot". THey presented a petetition containing thousands of signatures, in a a rare showing of cross party co-operation to ask the justice minister to stop this travesty of justice. Contact Rob Nicholson and tell him to refuse extradition. Also take the time to call these three excellent MP's and thank them for standing up for a patriotic Canadian like Marc. Most people only call when they are pissed about something. When MP's do something good like this we should call them to voice our support.

I don't see why this person should be excused from following the law. He knew the rules, and he broke them. What kind of precedent does it set if we go back on our extradition agreements ? Not a good one.

Guest American Woman

Also take the time to call these three excellent MP's and thank them for standing up for a patriotic Canadian like Marc.

Patriotic? What in the world has he done that's "patriotic?" :unsure:

Edited by American Woman

Guest American Woman

Calling him "patriotic" for breaking the law is just mind boggling bizarre. MP's having no respect for America's laws is also a bit difficult to understand.

I think it's because they probably consider those particular laws to be somewhat draconian (ours are arguably nearly as draconian). I'm sure they don't respect the fact that America's uses the death penalty either...and we don't extradite if the death penalty is on the table. Perhaps they see this as a similar type of case (much less severe of course).

That said, I don't consider Mr. Emery to be patriotic for what he did...not at all.

Guest American Woman

I think it's because they probably consider those particular laws to be somewhat draconian (ours are arguably nearly as draconian). I'm sure they don't respect the fact that America's uses the death penalty either...and we don't extradite if the death penalty is on the table. Perhaps they see this as a similar type of case (much less severe of course).

It sounds as if he'd have to do five years, which I don't think is off-the-wall for what he knowingly did. And the key word there is 'knowingly.' Why should he get off just because he'd get a lighter sentence in Canada? Like I said, it's total disrespect for our laws, and I think he did it expecting to be protected by the fact that he's in Canada and would have to be extradited. The fact that MPs are now calling for his protection is an invitation for anyone in Canada to break America's laws.

That said, I don't consider Mr. Emery to be patriotic for what he did...not at all.

The fact that your laws are nearly as 'draconian' as our makes it all the more difficult to figure where DrGreenthumb is coming from. Not to mention the MP's.

I think it's because they probably consider those particular laws to be somewhat draconian (ours are arguably nearly as draconian).

Our laws in Canada are "draconian"? You've got to be kidding me. We've got one of the laxest justice systems around.

Edited by Bonam

Our laws in Canada are "draconian"? You've got to be kidding me. We've got one of the laxest justice systems around.

I'm talking about our marijuana laws..and many European countries would consider our sentences for many things to be draconian. Norway for example, has outlawed the life sentence.

I'm talking about our marijuana laws..and many European countries would consider our sentences for many things to be draconian. Norway for example, has outlawed the life sentence.

So have we, since when is 25 years a life sentence. A life sentence should mean your in until you come out in a box that would be a life sentence.

So have we, since when is 25 years a life sentence. A life sentence should mean your in until you come out in a box that would be a life sentence.

I think you need to read the law. It's 25 to life. That means they are able to apply for parole after 25 years, it doesn't mean that they get out. The life sentence very much exists in Canada.

Edited by Smallc

I think you need to read the law. It's 25 to life. That means they are able to apply for parole after 25 years, it doesn't mean that they get out. The life sentence very much exists in Canada.

I wish I could find a statistic for you on how many issued a life sentence that don't even serve the 25 five years most are out in 10.

Our marijuana laws don't seem draconian. Prohibitions against marijuana have repeatedly been diluted or overturned in courts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_legalization_in_Canada#Key_court_decisions

As for outlawing the life sentence... heh. Well, firstly, let's just say that a life sentence for someone that's committed sufficiently serious offenses is far from draconian. Secondly, almost no life sentences in Canada are actually "life". It's 25 years, minus double credit for time served, minus early release after 2/3 of term, etc. Life sentence effectively may as well not exist in Canada except for a very few extremely rare cases.

Guest American Woman

Well, they are free to try to convince the government. That is their right, regardless of your laws.

So according to the MPs' way of thinking, other nation's laws should only be respected if they are exactly the same as Canada's. Do you honestly think it's ok to knowingly break another nation's laws, knowing full well what the penalties are for breaking those laws, and then not be held accountable? You think it's right that Canada protects a citizen under those circumstances?

I wish I could find a statistic for you on how many issued a life sentence that don't even serve the 25 five years most are out in 10.

If they were charged with say, first degree murder? They only have one chance to get that parole amount reduced, and they soon won't even have that option.

It's 25 years, minus double credit for time served, minus early release after 2/3 of term, etc.

25 years with no change of parole, double credit doesn't exist anymore, or soon won't, and early release cannot happen in the 25 year to life case.

So according to the MPs' way of thinking, other nation's laws should only be respected if they are exactly the same as Canada's.

I'm not sure, I'm not them.

Do you honestly think it's ok to knowingly break another nation's laws, knowing full well what the penalties are for breaking those laws, and then not be held accountable?

No, generally, and I didn't say that I agreed with the MPs. I do however respect their rights as they are defined.

You think it's right that Canada protects a citizen under those circumstances?

Well, that depends. I think it's right to protect them from say, death or torture, but otherwise, no.

I believe Cannabis seeds (aka his products) are legal to possess in Canada while it is not in USA.

Can someone confirm this?

Doesn't matter, he was breaking the law in the US. I'm sick of self absorbed idiots like him who hide behind this country while breaking the laws of another and then expect this country to save him from the consequences of his own actions. A fight he went looking for.