Layton to make statement concerning his future

Guest American Woman

Who said anything about keeping it a secret? In Williams' case, he never uttered a word about his impending heart surgery. All communications were handled by his office.

Do you suppose one reason he never uttered a word about his surgery is because he had it in the United States rather than in Canada?

In Jack's case he personally led the communications aspect.

So what? What difference does it make if it's communicated by his office or by him, when he's the one holding the office and he's the one affected by it?

In the end, in both cases those who needed to know were provided the information. It's just interesting to compare the different PR approaches.

It's interesting that one sought treatment in the States and one sought treatment in Canada, too, no?

I raise this issue because it seems there are those who are not as impressed with the way Williams has handled his "communications" as you apparently are.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right. Vowing to fight his cancer--so that he can, you know, survive...is "grandstanding."

No more like Hervé Villechaize saying as Tatoo, "De Cancer! De Cancer! De Cancer! "

Yes, it's very much like that, but less intelligent.

...and a Charter Right.

Ah, more of the "Canada sucks" theme. Well, whatever gets you wet.

Edited by bloodyminded

Right. Vowing to fight his cancer--so that he can, you know, survive...is "grandstanding."

Yes, grandstanding...of the first order. You'd think he'd just won an election....nice suit!

Yes, it's very much like that, but less intelligent.

You are so...superior. LOL!

Ah, more of the "Canada sucks" theme. Well, whatever gets you wet.

The Charter of Rights and Freedoms "sucks"? I respectfully disagree, but it is also your right to say so. Carry on.

He has more chance beinmg elected than dying of this....

"On average, 85 Canadian men will die of prostate cancer every week."

http://www.cancer.ca/canada-wide/about%20cancer/cancer%20statistics/stats%20at%20a%20glance/prostate%20cancer.aspx?sc_lang=en

Yeah I guess these guys all won the lottery.

You should rename yourself. Sir Swallows.

Only if you will call yourself M. Asshat

Do you suppose one reason he never uttered a word about his surgery is because he had it in the United States rather than in Canada?

I don't know. Even if that was his motive for announcing his surgery through a spokesperson, it's not something he would want made public.

So what? What difference does it make if it's communicated by his office or by him, when he's the one holding the office and he's the one affected by it?

Regardless of the form of the announcement, I feel just as much sympathy for Mr. Williams' health challenges as I do for Mr. Layton's. Yet, that doesn't preclude me from thinking Jack the politician would not pass over an opportunity to increase his popularity. I don't know why Williams didn't make the public announcement himself that he would have heart surgery and that it would take place outside Canada. Was he too chicken to speak for himself or was he too sick to do so? The fact that just before the announcement, Williams said the war of words with the PM was over (re his Anybody But Conservatives campaign) leads me to believe he wasn't himself. :lol:

It's interesting that one sought treatment in the States and one sought treatment in Canada, too, no?

Well it certainly stirs discussion both in the media and on message boards.

I raise this issue because it seems there are those who are not as impressed with the way Williams has handled his "communications" as you apparently are.

You would be wrong as I'm not impressed one way or another. My point is that a politician in the throes of a personal crisis is still a politician and necessarily, this will impact on how he conducts himself before the public.

Edited by capricorn

:) Your overweening partisanship and near-sexual obssession with "the left" is more important to you than life-and-death issues of actual human beings.

That's just sad.

Goodness! If speaking of Jack Layton makes blood flow to the most inappropriate appendage - then it might be what the call a leftist man crush. Jack loves the idea of total equaity and going gay for Jack might just be the in that the left needs..but hw should pull the moustache - kind of bring about a hetro-errotic bit of imagery.. sorry Jack - but all this talk about your prostrate being the male G - spot is quite disconserting.

I read in one of the articles that it's actually closer to 99%.

Good luck Jack and may the powers of nature and God assist you - If Jack had not gone for the exam - he would have lived just as long not knowing that his prostrate was turning into a potatoe. Now if they give him extreme and aggressive treatment he can say goodbye to his irrection.

:) Your overweening partisanship and near-sexual obssession with "the left" is more important to you than life-and-death issues of actual human beings.

That's just sad.

Near-sexual obession with "the left"? Project much?

....life and death issue?

I hardly feel layton in or not in the news is a life or death issue....well, for Layton and the NDP, Layton in the news is life or death...

I read in one of the articles that it's actually closer to 99% now.

Exactly....so lets recap....

Friday (the end of the news cycle)

the NDP give every media outlet a 3 hour advance window that Layton will say something important about his future.

Friday, 2 PM.

Layton (fighting bravely) announces he has a very curable form of cancer. Will remain as leader of the NDP. Will not miss anywork. Nothing really changed, except, layton, fighting bravely.

Near-sexual obession with "the left"? Project much?

This doesn't even make sense. I don't screech incessantly about this sinister force called "the left." I don't do this about "the right" either. It's just ideological whiners who obssess in these matters.

But I do very much enjoy listening to the pantywaists who throw continual tantrums about "the left." It's cute.

....life and death issue?

I hardly feel layton in or not in the news is a life or death issue....well, for Layton and the NDP, Layton in the news is life or death...

This is to what I was responding:

HE HAS FAR FAR MORE CHANCE OF BEING THE OFFICIAL OPPOSITION THAN DYING ANYTIME SOON....BUT HERE\S HOPING

You see?

No, probably not.

Edited by bloodyminded

Exactly....so lets recap....

Friday (the end of the news cycle)

the NDP give every media outlet a 3 hour advance window that Layton will say something important about his future.

Friday, 2 PM.

Layton (fighting bravely) announces he has a very curable form of cancer. Will remain as leader of the NDP. Will not miss anywork. Nothing really changed, except, layton, fighting bravely.

You can look at this as a case of the leader of the fourth party grandstanding by announcing he may have a reason for skipping school next session. But prostrate is a serious issue because, undiagnosed, it can lead to severe illness and death. By sharing, he reminds us men that we are not invulnerable and that, for all of us (men and women), regular checkups are important. Not unlike his ideological foe, Preston Manning, did in 2001.

I'm still not voting for him but I do sincerely wish him well. Despite his plastic front, I know he is a good person and is good for this country.

Even with a 99% 5 year survival rate, when people hear cancer, they still become afraid. I really can't say how I would handle it.

Well, you have 3 choices.

1) Make it a private matter between your familiy and confidants.

2) Have your office issue a brief statement outlining the facts and and remarking that while undergoing treatment that Mr. Layton will remain as leader and continue working.

3)Put all the news outlets on a alert about major news from Jack Layton himself concering his future; hold press conference and announce there will be no changes in the future.

By sharing, he reminds us men that we are not invulnerable and that, for all of us (men and women), regular checkups are important. Not unlike his ideological foe, Preston Manning, did in 2001.

So you are saying the whole dog ad pony show was a public service announcement?

Crafty...

But I do very much enjoy listening to the pantywaists who throw continual tantrums about "the left." It's cute.

Pantywaists and sexual obsession.

You know, you are a little bit creepy.

Edited by M.Dancer

Even with a 99% 5 year survival rate, when people hear cancer, they still become afraid. I really can't say how I would handle it.

99% with early detection, and the 5 year number is not curing cancer it's measuring of living with delaying death...unless it's diagnosed early survival drops very quickly...

men who get prostate cancer late in life tend not to die of it, it's generally slow growing they often die of other causes before the cancer can kill them...my father had prostate cancer when he was about 60, it returned 15 years later and spread throughout his body but didn't kill him directly, pneumonia did...

But I'm not the one with these obssessions. Try to pay attention.

Oh, and I see you are misapprehending the meaning of "pantywaists."

I know what it means. I'm just not interested in your sexual projections or what you imagine I'm like.

So tell you what, go stalk someone else

Edited by M.Dancer

I know what it means. I'm just not interested in your sexual projections or what you imagine I'm like.

So tell you what, go stalk someone else, preferably someone over the age of consent.

Ah, two implications about pedophilia. And to a father yet. Very bad form.

Look, I understand and appreciate insulting attacks, and have a weakness (and it is a weakness) for them myself.

But you're going too far. There are limits to incivility which decent people shouls strive to avoid.

And insinuating pedophilia is the nadir.