"no Negro dialect'

Thanks for the video BC - I have this big wide high res screen in front of me - but can not be bothered to find out how to turn the sound on...sorry - I know you want to educate me but it's supper time...and I would rather eat then learn...jezzz - I am American after all! Obama is welcomed into the house - it is now his house..Mr. Ried and the likes had better get use to the fact that a Negro is sleeping in Lincolns bed!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just pondering and putting myself in Mr.Rieds shoes for a moment. It could be that Ried just had an awkward moment. He may have in his own simple way been paying Obama a compliment that may have consisted of "It has been a very pleasant surprise to find that there is a negro dialect in America that shows blacks can articulate a thought" I am sure he meant well. He might have been better to use a white dialect and said "That Obama fella sure knows how to talk real good like" or maybe - Yes sir ree bub..I have never been so impressed with a negro since I saw the movie Green Mile....and so on...From my own feelings being white..and growing up in the 50s and 60s the only black person that I knew and the only one that existed for a hundred miles was my music teacher Mrs Joesph...I was to young to notice she was black - later I learned to be apprehensive about blacks because I was told by others that they were mean and could hurt you - our media in Toronto continue with this de-education. When I cross the street to get some Jamacian food - I have a wonderful time with staff and customers...cos's they know I am in good faith...BUT I do get awkward sometimes around super beautiful black woman...who are the brightest and most kind...and If I could go back in time I never would have mated with a white woman...knowing what I know now. Having said that - I have dialogue in mind and dialect is an absurity to me.

That's real a real down home discription...Bush Cheney uses the term "fish belly white" - took a while for that to register..fish belly white is the most nasty way to describe the tecture and tone of my skin - I want an apology immediately...good lord it makes my skin crawl...kind of makes me want to wiggle away and go spawn somewhere - take it back BC - I won't be able to sleep at night...I wonder if fish have different dialects...Yhooo brow waz up wit the Salmoned coloured hooker?

Is the video meant to show that a black man from the 1960s speaking the truth about racial relations in the U.S. is somehow less offensive than an old white man, using the exact same terminology, doing the same thing in 2010?

No time to educate you about Malcolm X .... suffice it to say that he was also a "light skinned", "no Negro dialect" kinda guy when he wanted to be, way before Obama. Reid is no Malcolm X....and Malcolm was certainly not an old white man approving a Negro's candidacy.

Or, more accurately, Reid believes that "field negroes" are unelectable to POTUS. Do you think Reid was incorrect in this assessment?

Feel free to come up with a random, divergent response to avoid the question. Maybe something to do with Canada...

Edited by BubberMiley

Or, more accurately, Reid believes that "field negroes" are unelectable to POTUS. Do you think Reid was incorrect in this assessment?

Yes....Reid even thinks that Obama is "black".

Feel free to come up with a random, divergent response to avoid the question. Maybe something to do with Canada...

OK...we're still waiting for that "field negro" Prime Minister. Maybe Harry Reid's expertise can help.

I'll make you a deal. When you and/or Shady start criticizing all the stupid things Republicans said about Obama regarding his race, I'll make a comment about what Reid said.

Until that time, your criticism of Reid is purely partisan, and has nothing whatsoever to do with what he said.

That's so lame, American Woman ...

For the record, I don't think Reid's remarks are worth the ink they're getting. Indelicate use of words about one of these subjects that is full of taboos. In this clip, it seems to me that Ann Coulter is right. She points to the trifling things that Republicans have said, and paid huge penalties for ... and contrasts it to this, which all the usual suspects are eager to explain away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gie-WEj9GDA

First of all, because in this political climate, PC trumps the truth. Secondly, if you really need it spelled out for you, it's because of the partisan 'criticism' that's made it a political issue.

This is really it in a nutshell.

Of course this is pure partisanship. If this was about merit, it wouldn't be in the news at all, because this story has no merit.

However, it must be pointed out that Obama's supporters and allies have themselves chosen the weapons these fights will be fought with. When people like Jimmy Carter or Maureen Dowd or thousands of bloggers are running about attempting to attack Obama's opponents by branding them as racists, they're setting a standard that their own "team" had better be wary of as well.

Coming up with a sound-bite that brands your opponent a racist (or a sexist, or an antisemite, or some other terribly un-PC thing) is way more powerful than making arguments of substance. Because you can't sound-bite anything of any substance, and who has time to listen to an argument of substance when there's all these sound-bites that are so much more interesting?

I don't think Obama supporters are angry at the game itself, I think they're just angry that the other side can play too.

-k

It's irksome to see the successful American black media heads flocking to make something of this incident. They always wanted to be white and have white status - now they have it and it seems that it is not enough. They like the old school whites will not be satisified untill they have dominance. Look at the Obama beer summit..a professor who spewed, to para pharase..."

Boy do you know who I am" - This is much like the feminist movement that once was controlled and guided by well meaning and wise woman - but is now rendered non-existant - Once these feminist leaders became men they abandoned the cause. The blacks in Amerian politics should shut up - They have a dream come true - what more do they want? You would assume that holding the most powerful office on earth should be enough. They should count their blessings and stop persecuting this Cracker.

I don't think Obama supporters are angry at the game itself, I think they're just angry that the other side can play too.

No, I think they're relishing the hypocrisy of those who cry about everything being too PC suddenly becoming extremely sensitive. Otherwise, they're happy to throw Harry Reid under the bus.

No, I think they're relishing the hypocrisy of those who cry about everything being too PC suddenly becoming extremely sensitive. Otherwise, they're happy to throw Harry Reid under the bus.

Looks as if human sacrafice in strange forms still exists. Harry Ried might just be a donation to the cause of civil liberty..You know that whole common good thing and the destruction of the individual. Looks like the blacks as with some of the Jews simply will never forget or forgive....never again they all cry! I say take Harry Ried out from under the bush and maybe lynch him - or maybe a cruxifixion would be in order - a double cross...Ried is a supporter of Obama - and now the ungrateful little black and white pigs want to destroy the guy...It reminds me of the decendants of holocaust Jews who have no gratitude for the people that granted them life though salvation of their sorry asses.

You can't blame "the right" for picking up the tactics that their opponents have been using against them. You can't bring a knife to a gunfight, Bubber.

I wouldn't be "relishing" this. It's a sad day for political discourse in the United States. So was Jimmy Carter's outburst. So was Maureen Dowd's column. (and before somebody says it, so was Joe Wilson's outburst, but for a different reason.) All of this is sort of thing is sad.

Hopefully there is a backlash against this sort of politics.

-k

Then how do you account for Sharkman calling it "sick" and Shady starting the thread?

Oh right, if it doesn't fit with your preconceived prejudices about "liberals," it doesn't really exist.

Never mind.

Ok leave that part out and comment directly to this instead.

Scientifcally, the black race is termed negroid. I remeber seeing commercials on TV when I was a kid for the "United Negro college fund".

Edited by Mr.Canada

Ok leave that part out and comment directly to this instead.

Scientifcally, the black race is termed negroid. I remeber seeing commercials on TV when I was a kid for the "United Negro college fund".

What do you want me to comment on? Your spelling? It's atrocious.

Otherwise, what you say is correct. But be careful what you say or Sharkman and other right-wingers will call you "sick" too. :lol:

This is really it in a nutshell.

Of course this is pure partisanship. If this was about merit, it wouldn't be in the news at all, because this story has no merit.

However, it must be pointed out that Obama's supporters and allies have themselves chosen the weapons these fights will be fought with. When people like Jimmy Carter or Maureen Dowd or thousands of bloggers are running about attempting to attack Obama's opponents by branding them as racists, they're setting a standard that their own "team" had better be wary of as well.

-k

There's a bit more to it than that. Yes, I despise PC speak - no surprise to anyone here, I'm sure. But the fact is that a considerable number of Republicans ARE out and out racists, and when the "slip up" what they're actually doing is letting slip the obvious, not simply making an incorrect, and publicly embarrasing use of terms.

Would anyone really be surprised to know many Republican leaders use the word nigger in private conversations? I wouldn't. But Reid simply slipped up by saying the word Negro in referencing the fact that many more Americans would have trouble voting for a shuck and jive, ebonics type "field negro" politician with a big forehead, nose and lips.

I'm neither a big fan of Reid or Obama, but I don't see Reid's statement as racist.

That guy just used the N word! My oh my, I wonder how it got past the censors at Mapleleafweb? As you know the diverting away from real life altering issues is through the use of political correctness..which is a tool. A tool much like the politcally commericalized use of fear mongering commonly called terrorism. PC is dibilitating! You do make a good point as far as Ried is concerned - that a man of his status should at least be intelligent. This is proof that you just might have the wrong people in high office- not your best.