Cut backs to the military

Army Guy

As a consumer I have the option not to purchase that company's service or product. Hence, it's of no cost to me.

You're completely clueless as to how much money's wasted and the sheer number in military moves across this country aren't you.

It's sickening.

And a hell of a lot more than $20 out of the taxpayers pocket too.

What about oil companies that pay for oil rig workers to come from here in the East to work out in Alberta? the employee doesn t pay for that ...the employer does but i bet you knew that didn t you... :rolleyes:

Edited by wulf42

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jaysfan.

They should be thankful they have a job and are being kept/paid by us.

We are greatful, not only for the job, but for the honour of serving this great nation. We owe our very existance to the people of Canada that much is true and from one soldier i say "thanks" for this once in a life time oportunity.

This nation has chosen a very select group of people / tax payers to provide the essential service of defending this nation and carrying out our foreign policy. This group of people live by words such as duty,honour and sacrifice. We take these words to the next level, not just to show our commitment to our Nation and it's people but because we think our nation deserve nothing more than excellance.

And all we ask in return is a few momnets of your time on Nov 11, and perhaps some of your respect. nothing more.

Until such time as there's conscription then those who choose to be employed by the military and paid by the taxpayer, they should be paying their own way and costs.

Well as long as we're at it, why not make firefighters pay for the cost and upkeep, and what the hell, even the gasoline, that goes into the firetrucks they drive. That'll save some of your taxes.

Make cops pay for their cruisers. They can drive them home from work afterwards. That'll save some tax dollars for you.

Hell, why even bother paving our roads??? Do you have any idea how many tax dollars are wasted on road maintenance every year??? Damn those spoiled-brat drivers. Dirt roads were good enough for my Pappy......

Paramedics can buy ambulances out of their personal income. Why should we pay for those???

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well as long as we're at it, why not make firefighters pay for the cost and upkeep, and what the hell, even the gasoline, that goes into the firetrucks they drive. That'll save some of your taxes.

....make welfare recipients earn there benefits....

As part of the Strategic Review process, organizations examine their direct program spending and the operating costs of their major statutory programs to assess how and whether these programs: are effective and efficient; meet the priorities of Canadians; and are aligned with core federal responsibilities.

What are our priorities? I'm not aware of any in depth analysis or public review or poll that sought to determine this. Shouldn't knowing this be a core federal responsibility? I suspect by core federal responsibility they really mean responsibility to treaties with our military allies - but what if Canadians beg to differ? How would we ever know without asking what our priorities are?

Well said..........it is blows me away how many stupid Canadians we have in this country when it comes to our Military! i laugh when you hear the argument "when was the last time we were invaded" crap...lol that is because we have a military to stop them with...unfortunately we rely on the Americans to much.

Yet these same Canadians who say we should rely on the U.S. "let them worry about it" crap our the same people who bash the U.S.A at every chance! Canada is on a downward spiral sad really.

These same Canadians? Hmmmm...let me guess - Do you mean the extreme left?

Lest we forget...it was Diefenbaker and the Tory's who first decided we could rely on the U.S. for our defence.

It blows me away how many times I've had to point that out when it comes to these mournful laments about our military budget.

Edited by eyeball

Look folks, our military looks the way the Americans want it too. They didn't and still don't want us to have any kind of potential threat up here. Its that simple. They just want our money, nothing more and nothing less.

NO, NO, NO, Our military is exactly the way CANADIANS want it...I'm sure we've all heard the stories of Americans offering us equipment by the boat loads at reduced prices, that includes our NATO allieds , shit Germany practically gave away it's older leo tank fleet away...and yet we did not even ask "how much".

No we are in our current status because Canadians want us there plain and simple...we need to own this problem...

Look folks, our military looks the way the Americans want it too. They didn't and still don't want us to have any kind of potential threat up here. Its that simple. They just want our money, nothing more and nothing less.

That's an opinion that lacks evidence.

Lest we forget...it was Diefenbaker and the Tory's who first decided we could rely on the U.S. for our defence.

It blows me away how many times I've had to point that out when it comes to these mournful laments about our military budget.

The condition of our current security appartus and all that goes with that, belongs with the Citizens of Canada, it is after all what we the people of this nation are willing to live with, and accept...want to piont a finger, start with you and me.

We really haven't been relying on anyone. We would have to in a major conflict, but so would most countries. Realistically, we pull above our weight.

I know your a fan of the Military Smallc , but would you say the ability to deploy 3500 troops at one time, was pulling our wieght of a G-8 nation with close to what 36 million people.

I wish we could do more, and you know that I truly do. It's just that budget situations and a country where there are so many priorities don't allow for spending the extra 50% on the military that we probably should. Despite that, we have done a great deal of the fighting and heavy lifting in Afghanistan and even in Bosnia through the decade of darkness. I'm proud of what are forces are able to accomplish, and even though we're starting to see cutbacks now, we're still better off than we were a decade ago.

I truly hope that in the future we can spend more, even if we can't find more people. What I'd like the military to work towards is becoming even more mobile. Things like the C-17s, new C-130s, and the still going forward though at a snails pace JSS will allow that, but we need to do even more in this regard. Canada should be able to respond rapidly where needed, even if we can't put a big force on the ground for a long period.

We have a great deal of work to do, and some of it is being done as we speak...and there may be setbacks now. I simply hope that the Conservatives don't lose focus.

We really haven't been relying on anyone. We would have to in a major conflict, but so would most countries. Realistically, we pull above our weight.

I must disagree. We couldn't prevent an attack on Halifax! The Alaska Army National Guard is composed of approximately 1850 soldiers and maintains 77 armories and other facilities, more than 1,400 highly trained citizen-airmen in the air national guard, and another 1500 in the coast guard. Alaska has less than 700000 people in total with 4700 in "National Guard" status, not including full time military units.

Canada with a population of 33 million has about 65000 military of all kinds and another 26000 reservists. Do the math....

I must disagree. We couldn't prevent an attack on Halifax! The Alaska Army National Guard is composed of approximately 1850 soldiers and maintains 77 armories and other facilities, more than 1,400 highly trained citizen-airmen in the air national guard, and another 1500 in the coast guard. Alaska has less than 700000 people in total with 4700 in "National Guard" status, not including full time military units.

Canada with a population of 33 million has about 65000 military of all kinds and another 26000 reservists. Do the math....

Comparing ourselves to the Americans isn't fair. No one spends that much....and even they need our help sometimes (hurricane season for example). We should raise defense spending to levels that are slightly higher than now, say 1.5% of GDP.

As for preventing an attack against Halifax, well, it depends against who. Most who could beat us wouldn't be trying to, and the ones that might try, we don't have a hope in hell of defeating anyway.

Edited by Smallc

I wish we could do more, and you know that I truly do. It's just that budget situations and a country where there are so many priorities don't allow for spending the extra 50% on the military that we probably should

Which goes along way to proving my orginal statement of:

The condition of our current security appartus and all that goes with that, belongs with the Citizens of Canada, it is after all what we the people of this nation are willing to live with, and accept...want to piont a finger, start with you and me.

We as a nation made that decision and now we must own it, instead of blaming one polictical party or another, or the Americans...

As for preventing an attack against Halifax, well, it depends against who. Most who could beat us wouldn't be trying to, and the ones that might try, we don't have a hope in hell of defeating anyway.

correct, of all the countries that could successfully invade us only the USA questions our territorial sovereignty, and there is bugger all we can do about it if they choose to do so...

Oh they want something far more important, they want the Dudley Do-Right moral shine we put on things.

Only after a full public review and a referendum.

The only other country would possibly be Russia, and again, there's nothing we could ever do. Against other countries that challenge out sovereignty at all (Denmark for example) we could probably do OK.

but Russia recognizes our arctic NWP claims, the US does not...I don't foresee us coming to blows with any country that has the capability to do us in, they have no need or desire to...

ya we could take Denmark...

They do have those two really nice new ships though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absalon_class_command_and_support_ship

pretty...our one working sub should be able to handle them...I can imagine Denmark invading Canada with a dozen tanks in Labrador looking around and thinking "now what? which way to Ottawa?"...just wait till they run out of gas and send some of those local grumpy Innu hunters to accept their surrender...

Edited by wyly