Mayor Miller, Best Mayor Mississauga, Markham could hope for..

M.Dancer

A friend of mine once told me that John Sewell was the best Mayor that Hamilton and Markham ever had, meaning the Sewell policies drove small manufacturing away from Toronto for the enrichment of those cities...

Seems like City Hall wants to do to local retailers what Sewell did to manufacturers...and in the process, drive Torontonians away to do their shopping in Vaughan Mills..

Ms. Carroll has some fans with her tax plan. Glen Murray, the former mayor of Winnipeg who now heads the Canadian Urban Institute in Toronto, has long been a fan of city sales taxes. Mr. Murray, considering his own bid for the Toronto mayoralty, notes that major U.S. cities benefit when tourists visit, for example, by collecting sales taxes on the tourists’ purchases, whereas Canadian cities end up subsidizing tourists’ transit rides without realizing any benefits. He did not return calls yesterday.

The Toronto Board of Trade, whose director of policy Brian Zeiler-Kligman also joined the panel yesterday -- organized by Global Public Affairs -- dodged a question about a city sales tax, saying he’d wait and see whether any politician had the guts to actually ask for that tax authority. Toronto right now has power in the City of Toronto Act to levy a hotel tax and a liquor tax, but has not done so.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/toronto/archive/2009/11/05/toronto-needs-to-levy-its-own-sales-tax-city-budget-chief-says.aspx

MD,

What is the right level of taxation? Toronto did last year impose a vehicle registration tax and a land transfer tax. Yesterday a city council committee discussed a new tax on billboards. We also pay separately for water and garbage.

“We are now getting $600-million a year more from the federal and provincial government,” Mr. Zeiler-Kligman told the panel yesterday. “The problem is that the city budget has grown by $1-billion in that period.”

Miller agreed to a review of city operations after the Land Transfer Tax came in. He hasn't got around to that yet, apparently.

RIGHT of SOME, LEFT of OTHERS

That tag line is positively Hardneresque.

Miller seems "green" and lefty. I doubt very much if he is the real deal. He likes to fine poverty stricken bike riders $80.oo a pop for riding a bike without a bell. He also likes to hit up older bike riders that putter up the quiet one way streets the wrong way...that's about $150.oo. You would think that he would like to encourage those that use muscle power, but instead there is always some sort of money grab that seems more like extreme money grabing conservatism rather than that warm and fuzzy planet loving liberalism he supposedly stands for.

Having mentioned that, I have started listening to Mr. John Tory who is now a fledgling radio talk show host. A very fast speaking hyeractive person with absolutely no real cutting edge ideas. He seems to be a total systems man. Whether that system is broken or unethical is of no interest to Tory. He blasts on mindlessly pulling what seems to be the neo-con party line. As for Mr. Smitherman, our gay mayoral possiblity, well it seems that Smitherman will vacilate to the right and then to the left. What ever suits his sweet and ambitious soul, he embraces shamelessly. Not saying that gays are dishonourable..but it seems that they are more than self serving.

It looks like there really is no good candidate for mayor of Toronto. To bad that the former legalist who had a running battle down Bloor Street with a crazed biker will not be signing in for the job any time soon. Looks like there is not one single person in the potential running that is fit for the job. Toronto is a city state, much like old Rome. There are three primary positions in Canada - they are Mayor of Toronto - Primier of Ontario and the office of Prime Minister. Who will oust the Mayor of Rome? I really don't believe that a city that is about to include a tax for simply being a Torontonian is a city that can be controled federally. Who ever controls Toronto controls Canada - until Toronto is totally destroyed and made useless..once that takes place - Ottawa might finally take the place of this renegade.

Not being prejudical nor holding human being in general contemp for what they do in private - I still say we don't need more gays in positions of privledge and power. They have more that enough already..and if anyone thinks that all blind people are saints and all lilt taking gays are harmless people don't understand - that these people are also capable of great social harm..They may want to marry - and they may want authority over children BUT - they can not help but be anti-real male and anti-nuclear family...BUT we have a problem in Toronto - no one of any value wants to run - and even if a good man or woman did want to lead the city - It's a closed shop.

A friend of mine once told me that John Sewell was the best Mayor that Hamilton and Markham ever had, meaning the Sewell policies drove small manufacturing away from Toronto for the enrichment of those cities...

Seems like City Hall wants to do to local retailers what Sewell did to manufacturers...and in the process, drive Torontonians away to do their shopping in Vaughan Mills..

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/toronto/archive/2009/11/05/toronto-needs-to-levy-its-own-sales-tax-city-budget-chief-says.aspx

I remember as a kid when Sewell was running about City Hall..with his leather jacket,jeans and long hair...all of US rebels wanted him for mayor - we thought he was cutting edge - a hippy for mayor - how wonderful and how very liberal we all thought, but he never revealed that he slept with men - To this day I resent the little rat for misleading the public..IF he had shown that he was openly gay NO ONE would have voted for him - and John is in his old age still sticking his head in places where it does not belong...I really thought the guy was cool- he was not..and time has shown that.

• 2 months later...
Ms. Carroll has some fans with her tax plan. Glen Murray, the former mayor of Winnipeg who now heads the Canadian Urban Institute in Toronto, has long been a fan of city sales taxes. Mr. Murray, considering his own bid for the Toronto mayoralty, notes that major U.S. cities benefit when tourists visit, for example, by collecting sales taxes on the tourists’ purchases, whereas Canadian cities end up subsidizing tourists’ transit rides without realizing any benefits. He did not return calls yesterday.

Just so we know what kind of suckers we Torontonians are....

Glen Murray was just elected...

Glen Murray (born October 26, 1957) is a Canadian politician and urban issues advocate. He served as mayor of Winnipeg, Manitoba from 1998 to 2004, and was the first openly gay mayor of a large North American city.[1] He subsequently moved to Toronto, Ontario, and was elected to the Legislative Assembly of Ontario as MPP for Toronto Centre in 2010.[2]

He also likes to hit up older bike riders that putter up the quiet one way streets the wrong way...that's about $150.oo.

It's not just you big city slickers that have to put up with this sort of crap.

A friend of mine in our town of 1450 souls was fined $200 recently for driving diagonally across an empty municipal parking instead of following the marked lane round and round to where he wanted to go.

It's the municipalities first marked parking lot. I can't imagine the windfall the village will realize should we ever get a traffic light.

It's not just you big city slickers that have to put up with this sort of crap.

A friend of mine in our town of 1450 souls was fined $200 recently for driving diagonally across an empty municipal parking instead of following the marked lane round and round to where he wanted to go.

It's the municipalities first marked parking lot. I can't imagine the windfall the village will realize should we ever get a traffic light.

Does your small town have a lawyer ? I imagine he would be able to verify whether you have a `don`t drive diagonal` law.

Does your small town have a lawyer ? I imagine he would be able to verify whether you have a `don`t drive diagonal` law.

We've got one retiring lawyer, but I don't know. It just happened the other day. I'm pretty sure my buddy will be able to get it dropped. I'm betting it was just our newly stationed RCMP officer who laid the charge. I guess we just haven't broken him in yet and educated him to the small-town laid-backedness we're accustomed too.

Sadly it seems there's more and more stupid little laws and by-laws and regs and fines and such creeping up on us every time we turn around too - OTOH maybe there's just less discretion amongst cops and by-law officers these days. I think it's equal measures of both sometimes.

I think I might have to move up the Sandspit, apparently you can still drive on the beaches up there. You'd be crucified and your children sold into slavery if you tried that around here.

Edited by eyeball

I love the service you get in Toronto - I live on the lower east side and everyday is garbage day..I just stick the damn stuff on the corner and run back into the house and hide - It's gone within a couple of days...maybe the crack addicts are eating it.

Lower east side ? I have never heard a resident use such terms when describing part of the city.

Lower east side ? I have never heard a resident use such terms when describing part of the city.

It really is a wonderful neighbourhood for a city. Kind of like parts of New York back in the 70s. It is gentrified in part and some of the orignial inhabitants still lurk about..the poor decendants of the Irish - I am just on the east side of the Don River and you still feel the history all around..Cork Town...where they made the booze that destroyed most of the anglos...and the building on the corner of Bolton and Queen east - the old Masonic temple - the libray across the street - and an old bank converted into a very upscale international fashion house - And my friend that allow me to run a line of credit that have been around for 30 years...I know them all - the rich - the poor - and me.

Oh I forgot - I was having my coffee on the bench in front of Canada's oldest Cigar Store..I made a new friend - Frank - who is 92 - boy does he have a grip - sharpest eyes, great hearing and a fine mind..but he is amost vapour and bones - he did tell be that he lives with a "younger" woman and has sex at least once a month...NOW that made me feel young - to see someone over thirty years older checking out the babes...Frank better not fall down or he will instantly turn to ash and blow away...He also has long hair growing out of him like a Star Wars character.

I am just on the east side of the Don River and you still feel the history all around...

I used to live on the west side of the valley at Thorncliff Park. Speaking of history one of my earliest memories is of my Dad taking me to watch the last commercial steam train that left Toronto as it headed north on the tracks on my side of the river. I couldn't have been more than 4 years old maybe even 3 and a 1/5.

The snow was deep and it was as quiet as a pin and as still as a painting, until the train came.

Oh I forgot - I was having my coffee on the bench in front of Canada's oldest Cigar Store..I made a new friend - Frank - who is 92 - boy does he have a grip - sharpest eyes, great hearing and a fine mind..but he is amost vapour and bones - he did tell be that he lives with a "younger" woman and has sex at least once a month...NOW that made me feel young - to see someone over thirty years older checking out the babes...Frank better not fall down or he will instantly turn to ash and blow away...He also has long hair growing out of him like a Star Wars character.

Sex once a month ? Cigars ? Sounds like paradise to me.

Sex once a month ? Cigars ? Sounds like paradise to me.

If I did not have to scrounge so much - the winter has been a little rough..I who really am not at ease with city living would condsider the hood paradise in a sense - I can go to the corner flower supermarket or the cigar store - and Yooung the Korean - always has a large bottle of brandy behind the counter - It's not uncommon for a few of us to stand in the store having a drink or two...Me and the Joe the brain damaged at birth gimp is friend - and he becomes pretrubed when I hold my hand still to light his smoke..because his body moves involutarily - He will say - why are you holding it still are you trying to make it difficult for me? We joke that he belongs to the Crypts - which means cripples...The shify strippers passing through are interesting also - they go to the bar on their days off when I play on Thrusday - I guess I am part of a very interesting culture.

• 3 weeks later...

Miller seems "green" and lefty. I doubt very much if he is the real deal. He likes to fine poverty stricken bike riders $80.oo a pop for riding a bike without a bell. He also likes to hit up older bike riders that putter up the quiet one way streets the wrong way...that's about $150.oo. You would think that he would like to encourage those that use muscle power, but instead there is always some sort of money grab that seems more like extreme money grabing conservatism rather than that warm and fuzzy planet loving liberalism he supposedly stands for.

Having mentioned that, I have started listening to Mr. John Tory who is now a fledgling radio talk show host. A very fast speaking hyeractive person with absolutely no real cutting edge ideas. He seems to be a total systems man. Whether that system is broken or unethical is of no interest to Tory. He blasts on mindlessly pulling what seems to be the neo-con party line. As for Mr. Smitherman, our gay mayoral possiblity, well it seems that Smitherman will vacilate to the right and then to the left. What ever suits his sweet and ambitious soul, he embraces shamelessly. Not saying that gays are dishonourable..but it seems that they are more than self serving.

It looks like there really is no good candidate for mayor of Toronto. To bad that the former legalist who had a running battle down Bloor Street with a crazed biker will not be signing in for the job any time soon. Looks like there is not one single person in the potential running that is fit for the job. Toronto is a city state, much like old Rome. There are three primary positions in Canada - they are Mayor of Toronto - Primier of Ontario and the office of Prime Minister. Who will oust the Mayor of Rome? I really don't believe that a city that is about to include a tax for simply being a Torontonian is a city that can be controled federally. Who ever controls Toronto controls Canada - until Toronto is totally destroyed and made useless..once that takes place - Ottawa might finally take the place of this renegade.

It's not easy being the Mayor of Rome. The Toronto Sales Tax is a pretty stupid idea when you consider a lot of people especially closer to the borders will be shopping outside, but in the end, it's because they don't raise property taxes. They went a little crazy this year and hiked property taxes by only 4%. In the GTA the average property tax hike is between 8-9%. It's easy to point fingers and say Toronto should either hike taxes or cut spending, but you can't really hike spending as the poverty level is a lot higher in Toronto than in the burbs. You also can't really cut spending. Idiots call in to AM640 and CFRB every day and complain that the city overspends. The question I have is where? Half the budget goes to the TTC. The rest goes to garbage pickup, snow removal and infrastructure repair such as roads and sewers and affordable housing which should be the province's jurisdiction anyhow. That's pretty much it. From where can Toronto cut? All of those services recieves too little money to begin with. They can break the unions but it wouldn't save that much money to make it politically expedient to do so. There's also inequities in funding. The TTC is the city's biggest expense. The TTC recieves, all governments included, a subsidy of 1.50 per ride. Ottawa, Calgary, Vancouver all get upwards of 4. People wonder why it's in such disrepair yet Torontonians pay the most. There's the reason.

Until the province and the feds can increase the transfers to the city after the Harris downloads are removed, a sales tax makes the most sense.

• 9 months later...

Change the header to "Mayor Ford, Best Mayor Mississauga could hope for"

http://www.thestar.com/news/transportation/article/902712--mississauga-only-too-pleased-to-take-toronto-s-light-rail-money?bn=1

Premier Dalton McGuinty needn’t worry – if Toronto Mayor Rob Ford doesn’t want it, Mississauga will be only too happy to take the province’s money to build light rail transit (LRT).

That’s the cheeky offer proffered by Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion in a letter to Ontario Transportation Minister Kathleen Wynne on Friday.

“If any Toronto transit contracts are cancelled I want to inform you up front that we could use the money that has been allocated for those projects, for transit projects in Mississauga,” says McCallion in a letter obtained by the Toronto Star....