Harper on Stage

You know, I'm not surprised it turned out to be his wife behind it. I've often said the Conservatves have the most incompetent communications team/spin doctors of any major political party in the country, and have had for years. They are incapable of coming up with something like this which is so easy to arrange yet will do wonders for Harper's image. Any halfwit could have seen since he became leader of that party that there was a profound need to soften his image and make him seem more like a "regular guy" but his handlers' best effort since that time has been to put him in a sweater for an election ad. :rolleyes: Harper should fire his communications team and let his wife take over.

That whole performance reminded me of Mayor Tommy Shanks of Mellonville...

Not at all. I don't tell anyone how they should live their lives, that is up to them, the choice is the individuals to make. I cannot control anything beyond my own actions and feelings. I live my life by a certain set of values and morals that are of my own personal choosing. People are free to live their lives as they deem fit.

I just like to make sure that women are making an informed decision. Women are free to choose of coarse as I'm also pro-choice you see. I just to help women make the correct choices. Giving them as much information as I can helps in that regard. You'd be surprised how much disinformation is actually paraded as fact. Everyone is entitled to make a informed decision.

Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing to be celebrated.

Ok I'm confused, in your earlier post you said you're firmly pro-life and now you're saying you're also pro-choice? You can't be both the two are mutually exclusive. You said make sure they make the correct choices. This seems to imply to me that the "correct choice" would be what fits with your moral code.

You can live your life anyway you see fit, and live by which ever moral code you deem to be correct. You can even work to raise funds for whatever cause you feel deserves it. But I find it hard to believe you practice what you preach when in one post you speak of causing other organizations to "fail" while in another post you champion free speech and choice. How is attempting to cause an organization to fail who counters your own moral code about freedom? Sounds like you're trying to limit people’s choices to just one, even as you so desperately want our political choices limited to just two parties.

As a taxpayer, it really gets me riled up when scumbags like United Way and UNICEF are going around taking money that ought to be going to Revenue Canada. That's all I'm saying.

-k

PWNED!!!

I agree Kimmy. It also bugs me when scumbags like those get their greedy hands of money that would otherwise go to government tax-collectors!

I suppose by now, everyone's seen Stephen Harper's performance over the weekend. The media and pundits have gone to great lengths to analyse the "strategy" behind the event. What were the image people up to? What strategic advantage was he trying to gain. Well, here's the story:

Last year Steve criticised fancy galas as elitist. This year they are convienent.

Someone else having fun..... :P

Who cares whether I'm pro-life or pro-choice? It doesn't take away the fact that you're acting ridiculous. :lol:

I think it is ridiculous to say that taxpayers don't help pay for charitable contributions. If you had read the thread, this is the claim I was countering.

An interesting take on Harper in the following story.

We met outside the House of Commons. He was gracious but extraordinarily serious. I don’t exude frivolity myself, but Harper is so solemn and sober that I felt like Adam Sandler.

Politicians try to project warmth, humour and intimacy, but within 30 seconds of meeting Harper I knew that his style was different, and always would be. It was amusing all these years later, in the last election, to see Harper’s handlers try to loosen him up with a soft blue sweater — as if a single trip to The Bay could transform him.

Ottawa Citizen

An interesting take on Harper in the following story.

Ottawa Citizen

not to worry - Harper hasn't changed his tune. The following is a much more astute and accurate Ottawa Citizen take on Harper... besides... we never saw his hands - it was faked - despite the assurances from the PMO that it wasn't! We never see Harper's hands in the video... just like in wafergate!!! :lol:

But does anyone doubt the sincerity of his words last October when he dismissed the artists who attend "rich galas" as living off of "subsidies" provided by "ordinary working people"? That also seemed to provide a pretty authentic glimpse into Stephen Harper's soul.

More importantly, it echoes the political rhetoric the Conservatives consistently employ to define themselves. It is the sort of populist, sometimes demagogic, language that Stephen Harper delights in using to attract and define his desired voting coalition.

In Stephen Harper's political universe, he leads the Tim Hortons crowd and disdains the Frappuccino drinkers -- never allowing for an instant the possibility that those who slurp a double-double might also enjoy "the arts" or that those who order their coffee with a caramel twist could also cheer on the occasional hockey fight.

That is Stephen Harper's stock-in-trade. That is his political playbook. It almost certainly reflects his honest world view. And it is not about to change.

To those who argue that his tickling of the ivories represents an effort to widen that political strategy or, in particular, to reconnect with Quebec voters, don't bet the Steinway. He is of the view that his "everyman must hate the rarefied man" approach is working just fine.

Stephen Harper is who he is. And his political strategy is firmly established. That's one tune that won't be changing anytime soon.

So, after reading an entire thread which has swayed this way and that, no one has touched on the job he did onstage......so.....

I thought his vocal rendition of the song was quite faithful to the original. He emulated Ringo Starr's performance quite well. Instrumentally, it was well-performed, and again, faithful to the original, right down to the clean, crisp, yet midrangy, guitar sound. Backing vocals were delivered clearly, and all the correct harmony parts were delivered competently.

Mr Harper's piano playing caught me by surprise. While this song presents no great challenge for an accomplished pianist, it was still played well.

The mild discomfort which came across as the performer approached the piano was almost endearing.

A good, solid performance of a classic song.

All in all, I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

EDITED TO ADD:

One thing I love about Canada is the way that many of our politicians are willing to go out on a limb in the public eye. In no other country I can think of would you see high-ranking officials willing to be subject to the piss-takes perpetrated on shows like "Air Farce", "22 Minutes", "Mercer Report" et al.

Yes, occasionally we'll see a Sarah Palin on Saturday Night Live, but here it seems to happen on a more regular basis, all of the parties are involved at some point or other, and they all seem to be so relaxed about it all.

It's good fun, and I think it's a very humanizing element.

Edited by PocketRocket

http://thestar.blogs.com/politics/2009/10/...f-stimulus.html

Sing to us of stimulus

Say you're looking for information from your federal government about the economic-stimulus plan. You go to the government's website.

And then you notice that things are a little quiet at the old computer. Some piano music might be nice. Considerately, the federal government has thought about this -- just click on the YouTube link on the top corner, and you can be serenaded by Stephen Harper, singing a Beatles tune at the National Arts Centre.

What does this have to do with economic stimulus? I have no idea.

http://www.actionplan.gc.ca/eng/index.asp

The official Government of Canada Action plan contains the youtube video of Harper and Yo Yo Ma.

Other great Economic Stimulus tunes

Don't let me down

Baby your a Rich Man

Can't buy me love

Common Wealth

Day Tripper

Drive My Car

Dizzie Miss Lizzie

Don't Bother Me

Don't pass me by

Eight Days a Week

EVERYBODY HAS SOMETHING TO HIDE EXCEPT MY AND MY MONKEY

The end

Fixing a Hole

The FOOL on the HILL

Get Back

Hard days Night

Here there and everywhere

I am the Walrus

I'm a loser

Junk

LADY MADONNA

Let it Be

Lovely Rita Metermaid

Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds

Maxwells silver hammer

Money (thats what I want)

Nowhere man

Ob la di, Ob la da

Paperback writer

Penny Lane

Please Mr. Postman

Revolution

Revolution 1

Revolution 9

AND MANY MANY MANY MORE BEATLES STIMULUS HITS

Sung by Prime Minister Stephen Harper ..... :P

Just $9.99 from RIMCO

Edited by madmax

So its a link to the PM's you tube channel so what, also listed on that channel are dozens of events the prime minister has attended.

So what are the hacks at the star going to call this tube-gate?

Edited by Alta4ever

Actually, I'm going to side with Dobbin on this one (assuming he's going to criticize it). I can't imagine how any communications department could be this stupid. How could you not see that it's going to generate negative press? I'd like to know whose decision it was to include the links. They're either a moron or a brilliant liberal saboteur.

Edited by noahbody

Well, it's kind of funny but I also think that

the last thing we need in this forum is another Harper-burned-his-toast-this-morning poster.

I don't want to hear about gaffes unless they're very funny , or we have a Mel Lastman/Dan Quayle scale goofball politician, and in that case he should have his own forum.

Actually, I'm going to side with Dobbin on this one (assuming he's going to criticize it).

I think the Canadian Press story speaks for itself. Somehow the PMO has blamed the Liberals for the attention it is getting.

I have no problem with a website on stimulus. But the slogans and use of word such as "Harper's government" along with other electioneering is something Harper has opposed in the past. It seems the only retort is "The Liberals did it too!"

That can't be a very satisfactory answer for many supporters of the Conservative party. Many have to be looking for something that is different than a repeat of unseemly link between party and government.