Political Test

I wish I could leave, but I can't. At least not yet. I hold the fort here every second weekend. Allows me an extended weekend every second weekend as well (which allows me to travel once a moth to visit home). Its my choice. There are not alot of people here willing to work weekends. Seeing as to how I work mainly for government and business, there is not a whole lot to do here, therefore its like free money :) But someone has to man the stations here 24/7. At least its not the overnight shift.

Diligent hugh? Good trait......when I worked in the film buisness I had days like you describe - hold the fort - socialize...eat....and make some cash - It was nice...sounds like you enjoy those who you are with. AS for free money - there is no such thing - you have traded your time for cash...so make the best of that time I suppose...cheers.

This guy has an obvious agenda.

My position on The Political Compass™ is at odds with the politicians I support

Politicians often speak in codes that disguise actual policy, with the aim of appealing to as broad a spectrum of the public as possible.

While the individual may identify with particular figures, if their positions and the consequences of those positions are acted upon, they may disagree.

The propositions in the test give the respondent an all-too-rare chance to consider many situations. Their reactions are sometimes quite different from the positions of their favourite politicians.

How can you determine where politicians are honestly at without asking them ?

How can you tell where they're honestly at by asking them? Especially around election time. We've relied on reports, parliamentary records, ... and actions that spoke louder than words.

We are occasionally asked about publishing the individual responses of politicians. We frown on this. The propositions are too vague to be considered statements of policy, and the individual responses are not significant in themselves.

He designs the test so that conservatives are placed near the middle, then places conservative leaders to the far right authoritarian and says "it's because they lie to us... I swear!"

Not really. I think conservatives in Canada are pretty far left compared to the US (where this test probably originated). In the US I would be considered a centrist and you would be a far left communist just as these results indicate.

Well, no, because Evening Star simply is not a "communist." Unlike the relative nature of "left/right" (I agree with you), "communist" is less so a relative term.

Economic Left/Right: 0.00

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.36

Result for "Strongly Agree" for every question (I tried it twice and came to the same result) I will now weigh the total results with each four answers for each question as to which questions carry the most weight and which do not.

(As of this writing, for all I know, they all could have equal weights. But only through trials and lots of free time will I know) B)

Economic Left/Right: 0.00

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.36

Result for "Strongly Agree" for every question (I tried it twice and came to the same result) I will now weigh the total results with each four answers for each question as to which questions carry the most weight and which do not.

(As of this writing, for all I know, they all could have equal weights. But only through trials and lots of free time will I know) B)

Kind of an interesting project, actually. Good luck.

Kind of an interesting project, actually. Good luck.

For example: Q1 P1 "If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations."

If "Strongly Agree" = 0.00 on the Economic Left/Right "Agree" Economic Left/Right +0.25 "Disagree" Economic Left/Right +0.88 "Strongly Disagree" +1.12

No changes on the Social Libertarian/Authoritarian scale.

I'll have an overall evaluation in a few days. I will do this for 5 or 10 questions a day. (Depending how I feel ) :P

Questions are weighed differently :( Which makes this project all that much more difficult. But I will get it done Muahaha B)

Q2 P1 "I'd always support my country, whether it was right or wrong." only effects the Social Libertarian/Authoritarian scale. An answer of "Agree" -0.10, an answer of "Disagree" -0.41 and an answer of "Strongly Disagree" -0.51

i.e. Starting with a Social Libertarian/Authoritarian score of 4.36 "Agree"= 4.26 "Disagree" 3.95 and "Strongly Disagree" 3.85

When I answered it, I got a pretty strange result. I'd really like to know if all results were equally weighted. I suppose I should read their rationale again, but I thought the questionaire was a bit loaded towards getting left-libertarian results.

I posted this on an American political forum I visit and the guys there are all laughing at it. It makes everyone way more "right" than they are. Did you scroll down far enough on the site to see that they put Obama and Hillary Clinton on the right?

Did you scroll down far enough on the site to see that they put Obama and Hillary Clinton on the right?

But they are! This is one place where I agree with Political Compass. There's no reason - so far - why the CPC should be as top-right as Political Compass places them though. I'd put them way closer to the Clintons.

Edited by Evening Star

Like, you realize where the left actually is on this spectrum, right? -10 on economics means the absolute extreme of economic collectivism - no more private property, complete socialization of the banks and finance, complete collectivization of resources and industry...

Edited by Evening Star

Economic Left/Right: -5.88

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.85

In a civilised society, one must always have people above to be obeyed and people below to be commanded. :lol:

Why is it the dominant ones that use the term civilized when it comes them being on top of the heap - If I were to go to some poor and back ward country and dominate the population , would I be civilizing them or would I just be a colonialist jerk?

To repeat.

The Political Compass Test in this thread's OP seems to pose good, irritating questions. If you want to know what others (your friends or acquaintances) think of you - it's a good first start.

For example, try the test (alone or together) with a new potential girlfriend or boyfriend. Later, compare scores, and answers - but make sure your potential partner understands English, and the moral/political implications of the questions.

-----

Post your results here in this thread and you may eventually be added to the graph. Check out the following link to see the mapping of other posters.

Edited by August1991

Touched? Smallc, have you ever tried the Political Compass test with a girl/boy friend?

I suggest that all anglophones use the test before marriage.

Yah if I would have known that my last wife was an atheist lefty I would have run the other way...but sex has no compass...nor are we provided with a guide book when it comes to choosing a mate..we go strickly on what feels good, which has it's consequences.

• 1 month later...