Government could fall as early as Friday

jdobbin

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090911/...confidence_vote

A critical vote that could bring down the minority Conservative government has been tentatively scheduled for next Friday, sources tell The Canadian Press.

The so-called ways and means motion is usually a routine matter that signals an impending vote on a budget bill, but this time might very well act as the trigger that launches an election.

Unless the NDP supports the government, it looks like Friday will be the start of the election.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, will you blame the media, the electorate or something else if you don't get to see the destruction of Ignatieff?

I guess it depends on how much bias the MSM shows. If they actively campaign against Harper the way they have in the past, I sure won't have nice words for them.

If they just call it as it is, and Ignatieff doesn't light his own campaign on fire, I'll just be shocked.

I guess it depends on how much bias the MSM shows. If they actively campaign against Harper the way they have in the past, I sure won't have nice words for them.

I can't think of a newspaper except the Toronto Star that endorsed the Liberals.

I can't think of a media group that didn't have its pundits give freely of what they thought of the Liberals in the last few elections.

If they just call it as it is, and Ignatieff doesn't light his own campaign on fire, I'll just be shocked.

It is possible that the issue of the deficit and how seriously the parties address it might be what people respond to in the election. I hope for our sakes that this is true.

Wether the government falls will depend on Wednesdays opinion poll. If the trend continues watch and see whether Rae will start manouvering around Iggy...

If I were to bet I would put $5 against $7 that the government will survive Halloween.

To lose the vote on Friday, both the NDP and Bloc would have to vode against. It appears that Harper is offering a carrot to Layton:

Political speculation continued Saturday as CBC News learned of plans by the Conservative government to make significant changes to employment insurance, and as the clock ticked down to a possible House of Commons motion next Friday that could defeat the government.

Sources said the measures are being introduced to woo the NDP in advance of the possible confidence vote.

The proposed EI legislation will have two parts, CBC News has learned. The first part will extend benefits to laid-off workers who have worked for years, according to government sources.

The second part is to be introduced later in the month, and will fulfil a Conservative campaign promise from 2008 to extend maternity and parental benefits to the self-employed.

CBC

I have a suspicion that Harper has no objection to an election but wants to go into one on his terms.

I have a suspicion that Harper has no objection to an election but wants to go into one on his terms.

He probably hates the idea of losing a confidence vote so you're probably right.

If the NDP wishes to support the government, they do so at the peril of a percentage of the population who supported them for voting no confidence previously.

It depends what the NDP get out of it though. As was said on Power Play the other day, if they can succeed where the Liberals failed (EI) then it may actually hurt the Liberal numbers. Craig Oliver and Tom Clark don't think that things are going to last long anyway though, and I can't see it. We may avoid an election next week just to end up in one two weeks later. There is a feeling in Ottawa that the train has already left the station.

Edited by Smallc

It depends what the NDP get out of it though. As was said on Power Play the other day, if they can succeed where the Liberals failed (EI) then it may actually hurt the Liberal numbers. Craig Oliver and Tom Clark don't think that things are going to last long anyway though, and I can't see it. We may avoid an election next week just to end up in one two weeks later. There is a feeling in Ottawa that the train has already left the station.

I think anything that shows the NDP and Tory as working together will not be seen as good by many who support their parties.

the question I'm asking when Iggnatieff fails to win the federal election. Who's going to replace him as the leader of the liberal party?

The question I'm asking is when Harper fails to win a majority government, who is is going to replace him as leader of the Conservative party?

It's almost official. The NDP is going to fold.
You mean "fold" as in support the government?
"We'll side with the Canadian people, that's who we'll side with," Layton told CTV News Channel on Saturday. "And I guess I'm looking for results for Canadians. And I'm not ready to say that an election is somehow inevitable. We should be trying to make Parliament work."
CTV

That's as close to a blink as you're going to get out of a politician. So, fold or blink, it looks like Layton will vote to support the Tories.

The question I'm asking is when Harper fails to win a majority government, who is is going to replace him as leader of the Conservative party?
I don't what you're on to here, Dobbin.

If Harper gets the most seats, he's still PM and teh Conservatives are still in power. Why would they change leaders?

OTOH, if Ignatieff doesn't put the Liberals in power, and given the record of the past two leaders, I'd say his demise is a given.

I think anything that shows the NDP and Tory as working together will not be seen as good by many who support their parties.
It won't hurt the base of either. It helps Harper though because it goes against the false Liberal meme that Harper can't play with others. Edited by August1991

You mean "fold" as in support the government?

Yes, I mean support the government. The NDP hasn't supported the government since...forever. Suddenly, when they don't have the Liberals to fall back on, it looks like they're going to support the government.

I don't what you're on to here, Dobbin.

If Harper gets the most seats, he's still PM and teh Conservatives are still in power. Why would they change leaders?

If he gets fewer seats than what he started with, I expect the party will ask if they can do better at the next review which is within the party's constitution. That requires a vote following the election. How solid do you think his position will be? Rock solid? How committed do you think he will be to doing it all over again if the Liberals improve their results?

OTOH, if Ignatieff doesn't put the Liberals in power, and given the record of the past two leaders, I'd say his demise is a given.

Possibly. But you're on something if you think Harper's position is a solid proposition.

Yes, I mean support the government. The NDP hasn't supported the government since...forever. Suddenly, when they don't have the Liberals to fall back on, it looks like they're going to support the government.

consider Stevie boy doesn't play well with others, there's going to be an election sooner or later. He may not be able to run the country but he can run his party. He won't let the Liberals or NDP dictate the terms of the election. He'll make it so that the government falls on his terms and that would be sooner rather than later.