Coraline

kimmy

I had heard someone describe the animated movie Coraline as a horror movie for children, but I don't really agree. It's not really a horror movie, and I don't think it's a childrens' movie either. At times the movie is quite creepy and some of the images might be disturbing to children.

Coraline Jones is an 11 year old from Michigan who has been uprooted and taken to live at the strange, decrepit "Pink Palace" apartments in some countryside location. She has no friends, and her parents are too busy with work to pay her any attention at all. Left to her own devices, she explores the Pink Palace and meets her bizarre neighbors. She also discovers a tiny door, which leads to nothing less than another world... one exactly like her own, but better. Way better. The Pink Palace really is palatial in this other world, and instead of broken down eccentrics, its inhabitants are brilliant and fascinating people. In the other world, Coraline's parents are interesting and attentive. Disturbingly, however... in this other world, everyone's eyes have been replaced by buttons, like on a doll. Everything else about the other world is so nice, however, that Coraline quickly gets over the buttons, and she visits again and again. Soon, her "other mother" invites her to stay in the other world forever.

It's a simple enough story, not much different from The Wizard of Oz or The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. Child enters magical kingdom of make-believe, learns important life lessons, performs feats of daring, returns to real world with increased appreciation and improved sense of self. Coraline differs in having a more frightening and sinister tone than those films, and by closely paralleling the child's dream world with the real world she wants to escape. Voiced by prolific 15-year old Dakota Fanning, Coraline is a bit of a brat, but she's a good kid at heart.

"Enchanting" is a word that kept coming to mind as I watched this movie. The animation is simply amazing. The film was done using stop-motion photography, but this isn't your dad's Claymation stop-motion. The creators used "3-d printing" technology to transform computer models into thousands upon thousands of actual physical objects that were filmed on a soundstage. I can only guess at the reason for creating actual physical models rather than leaving everything inside the digital... but whatever the reasons, the results are spectacular to look at.

Coraline was a considerable critical success and a moderate commercial success this year, and I think deservedly so. I quite enjoyed it.

-k

"Enchanting" is a word that kept coming to mind as I watched this movie. The animation is simply amazing. The film was done using stop-motion photography, but this isn't your dad's Claymation stop-motion. The creators used "3-d printing" technology to transform computer models into thousands upon thousands of actual physical objects that were filmed on a soundstage. I can only guess at the reason for creating actual physical models rather than leaving everything inside the digital... but whatever the reasons, the results are spectacular to look at.

I saw the trailer in theatre, and the animation was stunning. The modeling gives a depth and texture not common in other animated films from very good production shops. Makes me appreciate "King Kong" even more!

Seen this preview yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiPR6kA4_iU

Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton)

That story sounds completely different from Coraline! ;)

hmmm... I wonder if we'll get "Sleepy Hollow" Tim Burton, or if we'll get campy showtunes Tim Burton.

If it's the former, I'd be interested in seeing Alice done in a scary, surreal style. But if it's the latter I don't think I could sit still for two and a half hours of Danny Elfman "caper" music.

-k

{"Cue the tubas!"

boompa, bompa, boompa, bompa, boompa, bompa, boomp!

boompa, bompa, boompa, bompa, boompa, bompa, boomp!}

That story sounds completely different from Coraline! ;)

hmmm... I wonder if we'll get "Sleepy Hollow" Tim Burton, or if we'll get campy showtunes Tim Burton.

If it's the former, I'd be interested in seeing Alice done in a scary, surreal style. But if it's the latter I don't think I could sit still for two and a half hours of Danny Elfman "caper" music.

-k

{"Cue the tubas!"

boompa, bompa, boompa, bompa, boompa, bompa, boomp!}

Sorry, kimmy. I do agree that Coraline looks very cool. Though her killing the small lizards was disturbing in the preview. A kid might object strongly...

Sorry, kimmy.

Not at all! I was considering mentioning Alice in Wonderland along with Wizard of Oz and The Chronicles of Narnia in my opening message, but couldn't recall the story well enough to know whether it was a good comparison.

I didn't mind the side-track at all, as it seems almost too closely related to not merit a mention. I hadn't realized there was a new Alice movie in the works. I just hope it doesn't have Danny Elfman caper music.

I do agree that Coraline looks very cool. Though her killing the small lizards was disturbing in the preview. A kid might object strongly...

There's lots of sights that might be disturbing to kids in the movie. If I'd seen this when I was little, I'd have probably had a hard time sleeping for a few days. But nowadays, when kids can watch CSI on TV in prime time, I'm not sure if they're as sensitive.

-k

Heheh...too true. I didn't mind the Mars Attacks! music...50s campy at times.

Here's one I'm waiting for...still waiting for...

Not at all! I was considering mentioning Alice in Wonderland along with Wizard of Oz and The Chronicles of Narnia in my opening message, but couldn't recall the story well enough to know whether it was a good comparison.

I didn't mind the side-track at all, as it seems almost too closely related to not merit a mention. I hadn't realized there was a new Alice movie in the works. I just hope it doesn't have Danny Elfman caper music.

There's lots of sights that might be disturbing to kids in the movie. If I'd seen this when I was little, I'd have probably had a hard time sleeping for a few days. But nowadays, when kids can watch CSI on TV in prime time, I'm not sure if they're as sensitive.

-k

Perhaps don't take the kids to see this if they own Anoles or Geckos.

:lol:

This video shows some of
, although doesn't discuss the "3-d printing", which was done using this company's technologies.

-k

Yes! I saw that earlier and was blown away. I thought there'd be some CGI. The Freak Brother Movie is a much smaller effort, apparently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grass_Roots_(film)

And then there's these timeless stop-motion animation classics...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KvMX4okQyM

Edited by DogOnPorch

The Freak Brother Movie is a much smaller effort, apparently.

That is just too cool. I used to read the FFFB comic books when I was a kid, those with the old Heavy Metal were two of my favourites. Of course HM turned into a washed out rag eventually, the writing just didn't live up to earlier standards.

That is just too cool. I used to read the FFFB comic books when I was a kid, those with the old Heavy Metal were two of my favourites. Of course HM turned into a washed out rag eventually, the writing just didn't live up to earlier standards.

Me too. I had/have (?...better look through the garage) all the 'Fat Freddy's Cat' stuff, as well. Not to mention Robert Crumb, Art Spiegalman, Jay Lynch and so forth. I was a bit of a cartoonist myself back in the day. Inspired by the aforementioned...plus Doonesbury and Bloom County. I even had a Canada Council for the Arts grant to pursue my passion...lol. It was back in the dropping a safe on a mouse = art days. All this while putting on rock concerts and such...good times the 1990s were.

:D

Re: Heavy Metal

I totally agree. By the 90s, it sucked the Big Kahoona. I have a big box of them around here somewhere. Do you remember "So Beautiful...So Dangerous"? Or, how about "The Bus"?

'Epic' was the other good one for a while...

Edited by DogOnPorch

Seen this preview yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiPR6kA4_iU

Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton)

SOLD !!! I freakin LOVE Depp. I mean I hated him for a long time. But then Fear and Loathing came out. New respect for him. He is perfect for that part.

New CG movie called 9.

http://www.filminfocus.com/focusfeatures/film/9

One of my old Faves

Metrolpolis CGI with cell animation

Kimmy, I got to tell you, I loved Coraline, I thought it was just fantastic.

I have seen it twice now, and rarely do I get through 1 movie, let alone watch one twice.

Kuzadd, I'm not sure about this, but you've raised children, right? In your opinion, what age of children would you consider this film appropriate for?

I've been wondering since I saw it about whether it's actually a childrens' movie at all, or if the reviewers who said it's too creepy for kids are just overprotective worrywarts.

-k

Kuzadd, I'm not sure about this, but you've raised children, right? In your opinion, what age of children would you consider this film appropriate for?

I've been wondering since I saw it about whether it's actually a childrens' movie at all, or if the reviewers who said it's too creepy for kids are just overprotective worrywarts.

-k

Yes, I have.

The age is a tough call. It really depends on the child.

When my daughter was young she absolutely loved gremlins, her cousin one year older was mortally terrified.

"the reviewers who said it's too creepy for kids are just overprotective worrywarts."

I think some of that is likely to be overprotective worrywarting.

I recall, we all went as a family to see one of the Jurassic park movies, cause of course the kiddo wanted to go. AS we sat there watching, and I thought OMG, maybe this wasn't the right decision, I can see the nightmares from this one, and you know what, she loved the darn movie!

I wasn't as impressed. Sometimes kids get so caught up in the spectacle they miss the parts that may be considered disturbing.

I recall, we all went as a family to see one of the Jurassic park movies, cause of course the kiddo wanted to go. AS we sat there watching, and I thought OMG, maybe this wasn't the right decision, I can see the nightmares from this one, and you know what, she loved the darn movie!

I wasn't as impressed. Sometimes kids get so caught up in the spectacle they miss the parts that may be considered disturbing.

That's a really good point. As many kids go to big blockbusters like Transformers and Pirates of the Caribbean and Harry Potter as will go to "children's movies", and they have some pretty frightening stuff too. But I guess people don't think of them as "childrens' movies" so it doesn't trigger the same alarm bells for some reason.

-k

If you have seen Pan's Labyrinth, how many notches below that on the seriously creepy vibe would you put Coraline?

I too would like to see Tim Burton's Alice. But for a long time I have really wanted to see a movie adaptation of American McGee's Alice. Imagine Burton's trailer but with a brown haired Alice who grew up in an insane asylum, wielding a big knife, and lots of blood, and you should get a basic idea of the vibe of that game, hehehe...

If you have seen Pan's Labyrinth, how many notches below that on the seriously creepy vibe would you put Coraline?

They're not remotely close. Pan's Labyrinth is a far, far more unsettling film.

The villain in Pan's Labyrinth-- the real one, not the CGI ones-- is one of the scariest movie monsters I think I've ever seen.

-k

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen Coraline. (I'm not exactly in its demographic but like "The Watchmen", it's on my list merely because posters here have piqued my curiosity.)

It's a simple enough story, not much different from The Wizard of Oz or The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.
Kimmy, I can't speak about Coraline but "The Wizard of Oz" and "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" have very different storylines.

C.S. Lewis wrote "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" essentially as a children's version of Christ's cruxification. It's a wonderful story, very powerful.

For some, "The Wizard of Oz" is an allegory about the gold standard but to me, both the novel and the movie are about illusion and reality. IMV, Baum wrongly suggested that perception makes reality.

Kimmy, I can't speak about Coraline but "The Wizard of Oz" and "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" have very different storylines.

C.S. Lewis wrote "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" essentially as a children's version of Christ's cruxification. It's a wonderful story, very powerful.

For some, "The Wizard of Oz" is an allegory about the gold standard but to me, both the novel and the movie are about illusion and reality. IMV, Baum wrongly suggested that perception makes reality.

I realized that "Wardrobe" was a Christian allegory (and not a particularly subtle one...) and was unaware of a connection between Oz and the gold standard.

In comparing the three films, I wasn't referring to any deeper meaning. I was just referring to the general premise: children transported to different worlds where they are somehow far more important than they are in real life, perform brave deeds, learn valuable lessons, and return to their ordinary lives with greater appreciation of themselves and the people around them.

-k