"Birthers" movement problem for GOP

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the National Review:

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=ZTRjM...WVjNzRmODE2NTI=

The attention paid to President Obama’s place of birth is not unprecedented. In fact, it may be the only thing President Obama has in common with Pres. Chester Arthur, whose opponents whispered that he had been born in Canada. A number of unsuccessful presidential candidates—George Romney, Barry Goldwater, and Lowell Weicker among them—actually were born outside of the United States (in Mexico, the Arizona Territory, and Paris, respectively) to American parents and thereby into American citizenship. If the conspiracy theorists have evidence that President Obama went through the naturalization process, let them show it. But there is no such evidence, because this theory is based on unreality, as two minutes’ examining the claims of its proponents reveals. The hallmark of a conspiracy theory is that a lack of evidence for the theory is taken as yet more evidence for the theory. Indeed, the maddening thing about dealing with conspiracy hobbyists of this or any sort is the ever-shifting nature of their argument and their alleged evidence: Never mind the birth certificate, his step-grandmother said he was born in Kenya! (No, she didn’t.)

I think even the Review is getting concerned about how this taking off.

I think even the Review is getting concerned about how this taking off.
The National Review and the Republicans can think what they want.

I think that this in fact helps parties opposed to Obama. It plants in some voters' minds that Obama is somehow disloyal or not truly American.

If I compare another equally false perception, based on similar innuendo and false claims, many American voters suspected that Bush Jnr was slow. Such campaigns are all about planting a doubt or a suspicion in some (not all) voters minds.

All this talk about Obama's birth certificate puts a doubt in some people's mind.

-----

To turn this issue around, I think that we will see Obama in the next few months being "very American" and saying "folks" alot. Obama will try to sound like his grandfather.

I was not surprised to see Biden at the "beer summit" despite the fact that Biden doesn't drink beer, and indeed doesn't drink alcohol at all. Nevertheless, Obama needs Biden now.

Edited by August1991

The National Review and the Republicans can think what they want.

I think that this in fact helps parties opposed to Obama. It plants in some voters' minds that Obama is somehow disloyal or not truly American.

It is pretty obvious what is meant to cause in some people's minds.

The ferocity of the attacks are getting louder and louder and thoughtful conservatives know this blots out the message that Republicans themselves may want to focus on such as the economy.

If I compare another equally false perception, based on similar innuendo and false claims, many American voters suspected that Bush Jnr was slow. Such campaigns are all about planting a doubt or a suspicion in some (not all) voters minds.

This was some sort of conspiracy theory?

All this talk about Obama's birth certificate puts a doubt in some people's mind.

And anger and fury among some people. It is something that you apparently see no danger in.

To turn this issue around, I think that we will see Obama in the next few months being "very American" and saying "folks" alot. Obama will try to sound like his grandfather.

It won't matter if people don't believe he is American.

They will want him removed no matter what. They will be angry at anyone who contradicts the story that Obama was not born in an America and has no right to be President.

I was not surprised to see Biden at the "beer summit" despite the fact that Biden doesn't drink beer, and indeed doesn't drink alcohol at all. Nevertheless, Obama needs Biden now.

Once again you seem oblivious to the danger of so many people adamantly believing in something to the point that it hurts the party they apparently support.

No conspiracy, just alot of "folks" who don't like Obama. They're hitting him on a weak spot - his loyalty or connection to basic American values.

It isn't about loyalty. How wrong can you be?

It is about him not being an American. No amount of charm offensive is going to change that.

This crowd is getting so fired up that they pose a danger.

No conspiracy, just alot of "folks" who don't like Obama. They're hitting him on a weak spot - his loyalty or connection to basic American values.

Agreed.....President Bush was hounded incessantly about Texas Air Guard service for the whole 1st term, to the point where a prominent news anchor and a producer committed professional suicide in their zeal to bag a president.