Recruitment woes plague Harper's government

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090607/...ry_recruit_woes

Around Parliament Hill, insiders and outside observers point to a serious political recruitment problem: finding and keeping experienced people has been a challenge for Prime Minister Stephen Harper's government.

When seasoned hand Bruce Carson left Harper's side last year, complaints began that even at the top there was a dearth of experienced staff.

The reasons behind it are disputed.

Some place the blame squarely on the Federal Accountability Act, Harper's first major piece of legislation after he formed government three years ago.

The act removed the priority status for political staff seeking jobs in the public service. And it created a five-year cooling-off period for employees before they could take jobs that involve lobbying government.

There has been talk about this for week and CP indicated it was a major problem on Don Newman's program on Friday.

I suspect if Harper doesn't get a handle on it soon that other problems in various departments are likely to happen.

Dobbin's topic posts are hilarious. I think he wakes up in the morning drooling for a negative story concerning Harper. I don't know about you guys, but I'm looking forward to the "Harper burns his toast this morning" thread. You just know it's coming. :lol:

Dobbin's topic posts are hilarious. I think he wakes up in the morning drooling for a negative story concerning Harper.

That's hilarious...mostly because it seems to imply that you wake up in the morning drooling for a negative story concerning Obama given your topics in the US section.

Dobbin's topic posts are hilarious. I think he wakes up in the morning drooling for a negative story concerning Harper. I don't know about you guys, but I'm looking forward to the "Harper burns his toast this morning" thread. You just know it's coming. :lol:

Shady's replies are hilarious. I think he watched for every positive story he can find for the right and grasps at things like European elections which generally don't mean anything even when the left wins. You just know it's coming.

Or - Harper has the runs... thanks for the laugh this morning :)-

Harper is the Prime Minister. He is not covered to the extent that Obama is, yet he is a national leader and the nation, as expressed by the media, does view his every move as newsworthy.

It's what people try to exaggerate into scandal/crisis that gets ridiculous. Jdobbin does quite clearly spend EXCESSIVE amounts of time cruising the internet looking for something he can use to hopefully make Harper look bad and he often presents what he finds in the most unfavorable light with glaring omissions.

Do people remember the magazine/newspaper subsidies, where a right-wing Alberta publication received something like $27,000 (among millions dolled out to various other publications) and Jdobbin was presenting it as though it were a travesty worth discussing at length?

He's like a spam bot with a really good filter and an anti-Harper algorithm.

Edited by Moonbox

It's what people try to exaggerate into scandal/crisis that gets ridiculous.

exaggeration is not necessary when all the Harper Conservatives need to do is simply open their (foul) mouths!

they must really, really, really have a hate-on for Toronto - really!

Top Tory curses Toronto

Transport Minister John Baird meets city's application for streetcar cash with a blunt, and profane, dismissal

Councillor Linda Rydholm of Thunder Bay, home of the Bombardier plant, said the project needs approval. "Our workers need the contract to continue or start."

Miller said Toronto's bid will help the overall economy in Ontario and create immediate jobs.

apparently... a project not stimulating enough for Conservative Transport Minister Baird. Another typically "obscene" response from the Conservatives!

Shady's topics are hilarious because even Rush Limbaugh is not as negative as he is. His magic negro posts, TelePrompter posts are all the stuff of legend. Didn't you write about his mustard choice as well? Or was that other right wingers out there?

Edited by jdobbin

Jdobbin is this kind of like the "I know you are but what am I?" response? If you're going to mock someone, at least do it originally.

You're the newsbot of the Liberal party and that's what you're known for here. Sorry. Don't get so upset about it.

exaggeration is not necessary when all the Harper Conservatives need to do is simply open their (foul) mouths!

they must really, really, really have a hate-on for Toronto - really!

Top Tory curses Toronto

Transport Minister John Baird meets city's application for streetcar cash with a blunt, and profane, dismissal

Councillor Linda Rydholm of Thunder Bay, home of the Bombardier plant, said the project needs approval. "Our workers need the contract to continue or start."

Miller said Toronto's bid will help the overall economy in Ontario and create immediate jobs.

apparently... a project not stimulating enough for Conservative Transport Minister Baird. Another typically "obscene" response from the Conservatives!

As usual, it's what you didn't quote that gives the true story. Shades of jdobbin!

Here's what you omitted:

Baird told his aides that Toronto's application for federal infrastructure funds was the only one out of 2,700 applicants that didn't meet the eligibility criteria.

A reporter overheard him saying Toronto shouldn't complain about not getting the funds fast enough.

"Twenty-seven hundred people got it right. They didn't. That is not a partnership and they're bitching at us," Baird was heard saying.

"They should f--- off."

So 2700 other municipalities could fill out the paperwork correctly except for Toronto? What else is new? Toronto probably felt they were too important to have to bother.

It's been suggested that due to its size and it's own peculiar culture not shared by any other part of Ontario Toronto should be its own province.

I would suggest that Toronto be made it's own planet! The rest of us in Ontario have nothing in common with that city.

It might be different if they had a hockey team that could win a Cup once in a while!

As usual, it's what you didn't quote that gives the true story. Shades of jdobbin!

As usual, you don't give the true story. I show a link to the full article when I post and follow the rules about posting usually the opening paragraph or two. You just want to take your partisan shots. The moderators have been quite clear about not including huge amounts of an article and yet somehow you think I am neglecting something if I just post the opening excerpt and the link. Yeesh.

Edited by jdobbin

Jdobbin is this kind of like the "I know you are but what am I?" response? If you're going to mock someone, at least do it originally.

And here is the one of the top personalizers on the forums. Expected to hear from you in this thread.

You're the newsbot of the Liberal party and that's what you're known for here. Sorry. Don't get so upset about it.

I think we have Dobbin Derangement Syndrome here. Don't get so upset about it. That's what you are known for around here.

Problems with people knowing how to run government departments.

Such people are not hired. They are promoted from within the public service. Political staff, on the other hand, are recruited from other governments and parties, and the private sector to advise the PM, party and ministers.

So far there does not seem to be a problem with the way the government is running its various departments - at least, no worse than it was before they took over.

Political staff, on the other hand, are recruited from other governments and parties, and the private sector to advise the PM, party and ministers.

I was referring to political staff rather than the civil service. There has been a lot of empty positions as noted by both CP and the Hill Times. It has an affect on the ability of the minister to do their job.

There are various reasons why it might be happening but Harper should address it because too many ministers might be at sea without better management in their offices.

And here is the one of the top personalizers on the forums. Expected to hear from you in this thread.

In your own words:

I'm not personalizing, I'm merely pointing out my observations of your behavior. :lol:

I think we have Dobbin Derangement Syndrome here. Don't get so upset about it. That's what you are known for around here.

Dobbin Derangement Syndrome? You've actually named your condition? I'm not upset about it, but I do feel bad for you and how hard you try.

Canadians won't know the problems the Tory government is having or just how well they are going their jobs until they leave! For some reason when the same government is passed the four year mark, that is when they are front page news for the wrong reasons. Perhaps another Harper can't get people, is everyone know this is NOT the REAL conservative government, just he Alliance calling itself one. Baird's remarks has no place in politics, even though Dick Cheney, told another Congressman to do the same!

In your own words:

I'm not personalizing, I'm merely pointing out my observations of your behavior. :lol:

And I am merely observing yours which is a obsessive.

Dobbin Derangement Syndrome? You've actually named your condition? I'm not upset about it, but I do feel bad for you and how hard you try.

As do I as I seem to be the center of your universe.

Edited by jdobbin

And I am merely observing yours which is a obsessive.

As do I as I seem to be the center of your universe.

Check my post count and check yours. Tell me which of us is obsessive. :blink:

The intellectual voids that are the majority of your posts draw my mockery like a moth to the flame. I'm so sorry it bothers you, but I get kicks out picking apart stupid/blind/partisan rhetoric and skewed facts. I don't save it just for you, you're just the most dogmatic and persistent of my targets.

I eagerly await another, "I know you are but what am I?" response. <_<

Edited by Moonbox

Check my post count and check yours. Tell me which of us is obsessive. :blink:

Think I'm just a much faster typer than you.

The intellectual voids that are the majority of your posts draw my mockery like a moth to the flame. I'm so sorry it bothers you, but I get kicks out picking apart stupid/blind/partisan rhetoric and skewed facts. I don't save it just for you, you're just the most dogmatic and persistent of my targets.

The intellectual void appears to your since you really can't go through a day without responding to my posts. Insubstantive, personal and stupid replies is what I have come to expect and I am never disappointed.

I eagerly await another, "I know you are but what am I?" response. <_<

I eagerly wait for another reply that indicates that I am the center of your universe.

The intellectual void appears to your since you really can't go through a day without responding to my posts. Insubstantive, personal and stupid replies is what I have come to expect and I am never disappointed.

Once again, the best response you come up with is, "NO YOU". A day without responding to your posts? You've started FIVE threads that are at the top of the list right now and they're totally inane. It's hard not to respond to your crap because you SATURATE the whole forum.

As for personal, get over it. You've made a clown of yourself, the whole community makes fun of you for it and has labelled you for the hack that you are. You're too emotionally invested in the Liberal brand and 18000 posts of partisan Liberal garbage in 3 years shows that. You're trying WAY hard and you care WAY too much.

I eagerly wait for another reply that indicates that I am the center of your universe.

My woman is the centre of my universe. The Liberals, on the other hand, are the centre of yours.