The President Who Hates His Country

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, sometimes I wonder after reading responses in this forum just how many of the posters here are college pukes on some kind of assignment from the University of Lethbridge.

First of all I am not a graduate or student of any Canadian university. I am not a "college puke"; I am a successful lawyer who leans far to the left politically.

In what ways, exactly, do you "lean far to the left politically"?

Don't ask. He'll get into another long, dishonest spiel about his father. :rolleyes:

I'll keep it short about my late father, and keep it mostly about me.

As for my father, he and I distributed literature for the McGovern/Shriver Campaign on November 5, 1972.

The preceding Saturday, October 28, 1972, I played tuba at a McGovern rally in Cross County Shopping Center in a drenching rain. I attended an anti-war demonstration on January 20, 1973, when our thug-President, Richard Nixon, was giving his second inauguration address.

I believe in an America that is just and fair to all people, and gives all an oppportunity to succeed, free from racial or religious discrimination. And that is how I am a left-winger.

Unlike other left-wingers, I recognize America as a country that has given a more diverse group of people a chance in life. It has provided an education to all, and has helped its disabled. One of those is my son.

That is the America I believe in.

Unlike other left-wingers, I recognize America as a country that has given a more diverse group of people a chance in life. It has provided an education to all, and has helped its disabled. One of those is my son.

That is the America I believe in.

But there is more than one America, and the others are real whether you choose to "believe" in them or not.

Look, Canada has all sorts of things going for it. That's clear. But aside from occasionally appreciating such things (which can be done quite nicely on ritualistic holidays, for one example--the 1st for us, the 4th for you), I don't see it serves much practical purpose beyond masturbation; worse, it generates and then calcifies oversensitivity to criticism; and it makes criticism of a country become personalized, as identities get too perversely engaged in nationalism. As if the individual identity and the geopolitical entity are one and exactly the same thing.

Criticism of one's country's ills is far more practical than continual, pleasureable sighs about its greatness (often these are utter distortions anyway); and so, relatedly, far more moral.

• 5 months later...

Love of one's country, and pride in it, sometimes includes saying "we were wrong" and "we will do better". It sometime includes being frank about how being viewed as a second class citizen has affected that pride. Wishing for a world without nuke may be naive, but it is not hatred for one's country.

Agreed.

Unfortunately, Obama apologizes for American wrongs of the past, yet commits similar b.s. himself or allows it under his watch. He is a sell-out and a hypocrite.