Canadians want Kiss

jdobbin

Simon and Garfunkle had one of those, "Bridge over troubled water".

"You're beautiful" by James Blunt is a good tune if not emotional.

Also Tom Petty has some great songs, eg "You don't know how it feels", and "Won't back down"

"Here without you" Three Doors Down-- definite emotional response

Without a Trace, and Runaway Train by Soul Asylum, both great songs

Wasted Time, and I Remember You, by Skid Row, great take me back songs

Truly Madly Deeply, by Savage Garden--my wedding song

I Could Have Lied- Red Hot Chile Peppers, or Soul to Squeeze by Chile peppers

Wish you were Here by Pink Floyd.

Jewel-Foolish Games

Hallowed be Thy Name-Iron Maiden

Thank You by Dido

Are You Lonesome Tonight, and I can't Help Falling In Love by Elvis

Gimme Hope Joanna by Eddie Grant

The list could go on and on but I gotta save some for another post lol

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to make a post but I'm too choked up!

Coming back from breakfast with my buds this morning the radio was playing "Free Bird".

I remember seeing a tv show or movie where a distraught southern redneck bride complained that a brawl erupted at the wedding reception because the band wouldn't play Freebird...

Well, since you are one of the more 'civilized' posters on this board I do owe you fair consideration, Kimmy. :)

Could you be good enough to give me some examples of modern music or artists that I should respect?

I'll give you Wolfmother. And The Trews. If you could give me a few others that perhaps I have not heard I promise to faithfully listen to some of their stuff and try to make a fair judgement.

I can't say who you should respect Bill; I can only assume that the amount of respect you have for an artist is proportional to the amount of guitar riffs and the length of their mullets.

I'm not surprised you like Wolfmother, as they sound as if they've just emerged from 35 years in a cryogenic chamber. It's as if somebody threw Deep Purple and Led Zepplin in a blender. At any rate, if you're aware that Wolfmother exists, you must be aware that they don't exist in a vacuum. You can't find a radio station that plays just Wolfmother, and you can't find a radio station that plays Jonas Brothers, Britney Spears, and Wolfmother.

Surprisingly, there are actual radio stations designed for people who'd like to hear Wolfmother and other artists who are producing new music that is neither boy-band nor Britney. Some of this music is good, some is decidedly not good, but it is out there.

Using those criteria I don't know who I can point to in todays scene and say "there it is". But I'd love to hear about it.

I am probably not the right person to advocate on behalf of today's artists, as I myself am often more interested in exploring music from before I was born (such as

). As well, I can't even begin to discuss the merits of hip-hop, as I neither hip nor hop. However, due to popular demand, I present the following as a little taste of some of the newer music I find enjoyable. You can tell me you can't stand it, but you can't tell me it's boy-bands-and-Britney formula crap.

Kyuss and Queens of the Stone Age

new record
has lots of
on it.

has not strayed far
for several years.

as

I would think most Canadians would be familiar with

and probably before very long people will also have heard of

More commercially successful bands like The Killers, the Foo Fighters, Nine Inch Nails, and Green Day are likewise still producing great records. I suppose some people might consider Green Day's "American Idiot" to be "commercial crap" because it's sold a billion records, but if you listen to "American Idiot" from start to end and all you got out of it was commercial crap, you're just not listening.

-k

I can't say who you should respect Bill; I can only assume that the amount of respect you have for an artist is proportional to the amount of guitar riffs and the length of their mullets.

I am probably not the right person to advocate on behalf of today's artists, as I myself am often more interested in exploring music from before I was born (such as

). As well, I can't even begin to discuss the merits of hip-hop, as I neither hip nor hop. However, due to popular demand, I present the following as a little taste of some of the newer music I find enjoyable. You can tell me you can't stand it, but you can't tell me it's boy-bands-and-Britney formula crap.

-k

Mullets? Thanks, Kimmy! Unfortunately, I'm older than mullets! I'm pre-mullet! I'm 56 years old and didn't see mullets until the early 80's.

I very much enjoyed your links! However, I'm not sure what they prove. Yes, there's obviously still some good stuff out there. Yeah, Yeah, Yeah made me wonder if Janis Joplin had a daughter. Kasabian was great 'agitprop' rock! All your selections had great musicianship and for the most part clear vocals that painted a strong story.

My argument was never that there was NOTHING good contemporary! Just that there was far less of it proportionately to the 'pop' crap! Is it your premise that your selections are mainstream? For that is my premise! The type of music that I'm talking about enjoyed huge sales and a widespread audience, in 1972!

Anyhow, you've given me some great new sources and I appreciate them! Since you enjoy Knights of Cydonia, you might enjoy this one:

http://www.lightspeed-rocks.net/

Local boys I grew up with. If you like Styx you'll like these guys!

I thought everyone west of Manitoba only liked cowboy music? Another stereotype shattered!

Is nothing sacred anymore? :lol:

I very much enjoyed your links! However, I'm not sure what they prove. Yes, there's obviously still some good stuff out there. Yeah, Yeah, Yeah made me wonder if Janis Joplin had a daughter. Kasabian was great 'agitprop' rock! All your selections had great musicianship and for the most part clear vocals that painted a strong story.

I'm glad you took the time to listen. :)

My argument was never that there was NOTHING good contemporary! Just that there was far less of it proportionately to the 'pop' crap! Is it your premise that your selections are mainstream? For that is my premise! The type of music that I'm talking about enjoyed huge sales and a widespread audience, in 1972!

It is all a matter of what you consider mainstream, Bill.

All of the acts I mentioned above, except for Ladytron, can be heard on your local Canadian "modern rock" format FM radio station. (you wouldn't hear Kyuss, per se, but you'd certainly hear their present incarnation, "Queens of the Stone Age".)

All of these acts could likewise easily be found on a trip through any half-decent record store in Canada, again with the exception of Ladytron.

As far as album sales, I think that recent "alternative rock" albums by acts like Muse, The Killers, the Foo Fighters, Nine Inch Nails, Green Day, and others have sold a volume of records that would rank with "mainstream" artists. Arcade Fire and Sam Roberts have had platinum album sales in Canada, though not had the same level of success internationally. Kasabian likewise in England.

If I can turn on an FM radio and hear an artist, and find their record in the first store I go into, does that make them mainstream? Do gold or platinum records make an artist mainsteam? Or does there also have to be some element that if you asked someone on the street whether they liked "Muse" and "Arcade Fire", they'd have any idea what you were talking about?

I am not sure that there even is such a thing as "the mainstream" anymore. There are certainly still plenty of artists who have great commercial success, but they are in lots of different genres from rap to country to pop to alternative rock... and I don't think you can point to any of them and say that it's what everybody is listening to, because everybody is listening to their own thing now. The music market is far more fragmented than it used to be, which will probably prevent anybody from ever reaching the status of Elvis or The Beatles again. Maybe "Kanye West" or "1 Cent" are as big in rap-music circles as Elvis used to be, but who outside of rap-music fans would know?

-k

Argus and I had a similar thread about TV... Argus argued that TV was better back in his day, because they had Archie Bunker and (...uh, I think Archie Bunker was about the extent of it...) but somehow he'd forgotten that they also had BJ And The Bear and all kinds of other laughably bad garbage that just hasn't stood up to the test of time.

Now just a minute there, Kimmy! They're all still on the Dejaview channel! That means they've stood up to the test of time!

In any event, if I recall, my argument was, or should have been, that every one of the networks released twenty or more new shows every year. Sure lots of it, most of it was crap. But there was always so many different kinds of crap to choose from. There were lots of detective shows, from Barnaby Jones to Rockford Files. Were any of them as good as NYPD Blue? Nope. But There were probably about ten of them on at any given time, as opposed to just NYPD Blue by itself. And they were all watchable to a greater or lesser extent.

And what cop/private eye shows are on now? Tha SWAT thing from Toronto, on the rare occasion I see it on, and that's about it.

Mind you, for all I know there might be lots of good shows on now, hidden away. I stopped watching TV as reality television hit its stride, in the same way I stopped listening to radio during the disco days. Also, I don't have the patience I used to have to sit through a TV show just to see if it's any good. I've heard House is good, but still haven't watched it. I spend my time on the computer instead.

As far as modern music goes, my friend, who is an amateur guitarist and musicologist, has said that the problem with most modern music is most modern musicians don't know how to write or read music, or play their own instruments. . His nephew plays in a band - badly, and he went down to Barrymores (the place where the good bands play) to watch them a little while ago. He was appalled at just how badly they played, and how no one seemed to notice. The music scene, he says, is overrun by impatient young people who can't be bothered to take the time to learn their instruments properly, and pay more attention to video imagery than learning the proper chords.

As far as modern music goes, my friend, who is an amateur guitarist and musicologist, has said that the problem with most modern music is most modern musicians don't know how to write or read music, or play their own instruments. . His nephew plays in a band - badly, and he went down to Barrymores (the place where the good bands play) to watch them a little while ago. He was appalled at just how badly they played, and how no one seemed to notice. The music scene, he says, is overrun by impatient young people who can't be bothered to take the time to learn their instruments properly, and pay more attention to video imagery than learning the proper chords.

Hence my point, Angus. If I can play it, it must be crap! :lol:

There are a lot of reasons as to why this is, of course. We could talk about the attention span of an "X Box" generation, for instance. Me, I have a theory for the MAIN factor:

"The 'suits' have successfully 'dumbed' us down!"

The formula for pop music was always to make it as simple as possible. With rare exceptions that crop up mostly only because of the Law of Averages, pop music is not designed for staying power. The labels wanted a high turnover, as a tool to lift sales. Music became like fashion. Last years clothes are to be discarded and new ones purchased.

Also, the demise of the 'cover band' scene in the bars was a big contribution. Back in the late 60's and 70's there were probably hundreds if not more of us, touring for months at a time, playing 3 and 6 night gigs for reasonable amounts of money. That was an opportunity for honing one's craft. Both the individual musician and the band improved tremendously from constant playing on the road.

That scene is long gone! Kids are lucky to get a paying gig at all! There are no 3 and 6 nighters. You're lucky to get one Saturday night! Practicing is confined to the odd rehearsal in a garage or basement.

Even the old timers today have succumbed to 'the Dark Side'. If you follow the scene you'll find that a blues or classic rock band always seems to have the same set list as all the others. That's because that means the band members never have to rehearse! They can simply show up, play the same old stuff that they could play in their sleep and go home, after splitting the meagre take. No one wants to put in more effort for a gig that doesn't even pay minimum wage when you add up all the time involved.

So things have become a 'catch 22'. The pay has become so poor that the effort is not justified, which means a poorer show which commands even less pay!

Ah well, nostalgia's not what it used to be! ;)

first off, I'm disappointed Oshawa is getting KISS, as I said before, we have enough problems with our image :lol:

Secondly.. you all need to discover and listen to some Paul Weller. 'nuff said.

Youtube him.

Watched "You Do Something To Me". No big whoop!

I won't shoot him. He's only the piano player, after all. ;)

I think he's more for the chicks...

Watched "You Do Something To Me". No big whoop!

I won't shoot him. He's only the piano player, after all. ;)

I think he's more for the chicks...

You do something to me is kinda sappy...

try "Uh huh, oh yeah" or "Wildwood" or "Broken Stones"

for great fun, try his older stuff from when he was with The Jam - "Town Called Malice" or "That's Entertainment"

That scene is long gone! Kids are lucky to get a paying gig at all! There are no 3 and 6 nighters. You're lucky to get one Saturday night! Practicing is confined to the odd rehearsal in a garage or basement.

Was talking to him last night. He's a big Lynard Skynard fan, and going to see them. He said the last time he saw them, they had three guitarists on stage, every one of whom was better than any guitarist he's seen coming up since the early nineties. Then just to be contrary, he demanded I go on u-tube and punch in a kid named Jonny Lang and a song called Lie to Me. He's some kind of blues singer/guitarist phenom. He's awfully good and has an amazing voice..

Was talking to him last night. He's a big Lynard Skynard fan, and going to see them. He said the last time he saw them, they had three guitarists on stage, every one of whom was better than any guitarist he's seen coming up since the early nineties. Then just to be contrary, he demanded I go on u-tube and punch in a kid named Jonny Lang and a song called Lie to Me. He's some kind of blues singer/guitarist phenom. He's awfully good and has an amazing voice..

Jonny's been around for a while. Go rent 'Blues Brothers 2000'. He did a number in that film when he was only about 16. He was great!

If it was 1968, he'd be a superstar!

Anybody still listen to T-rex? I love the guitar work on the whole Electric Warrior album. Kiss, Ac/dc, the ramones, the sex pistols, blink 182, Oasis, Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden, Fallout Boy, Buck Cherry, Megadeth, Metallica, All American Rejects, the list of great bands spans the decades, and the genres.

Throw in some NOFX, Bad Religion, Dead Kennedy's, and I am with you.

To each their own I guess, some of the bands that I never cared for are probably some of your favorites. I never cared for zepplin, except for a few songs, like stairway to heaven and maybe 2 or 3 others. Never liked U2, or Rush. Never heard of Yes. Can't stand country music, jazz or opera. Its all a matter of taste, none is inherently better than the rest except in the ears of the listener.

The thing about Rush's music is that you can't really dance to it which makes it hard to get into, the odd timmings n stuff. Dream Theater is a lot like Rush in terms of layres and odd time signatures. Prog Rock really. I really like Rush, but I can't stand U2 anymore. I like (when it existed) was acid-jazz, electronic housey jazz/lounge. I am starting to really like soft jazz, but i won't be doing country anytime soon.

There are some songs that do stand out to me as really great because you can tell the artist is really "feeling" it. Eric Clapton's "Tears in Heaven" is one such song for me, anyone have more examples of songs like that?

Boys of Summer - Don Henley

Today for me it is 90% electronic music (house, trance, lounge, hip hop, reggea, ect ect) I seem to get more of a feel for songs when lyrics are out of the way. Most lyrics in electronic music are not really lyrics perse, but more of a vocal accent for the track.

Throw in some NOFX, Bad Religion, Dead Kennedy's, and I am with you.

I did concerts for No Means No, DOA, DayGlo Abortions, Cryptopsy, Nardwuar the Human Serviette (Thee Evaporators) and a whole lot of others I can barely remember due to the evils of beer. The 90s...like the 60s only the hippies lived at home with their parents.

I did concerts for No Means No, DOA, DayGlo Abortions, Cryptopsy, Nardwuar the Human Serviette (Thee Evaporators) and a whole lot of others I can barely remember due to the evils of beer. The 90s...like the 60s only the hippies lived at home with their parents.

I got a few pals you can talk punk with :) One of my pals here has been part of the Ottawa scene for some time. I think you'd fit in :)

I like Abba...

Since I listen to a lot of house, which was born out of disco, I would have loved to have been a teen during that era. As a preteen during that time, I enjoyed much of the disco my parents blarred through the stereo.

Abba has also been remixed and elements of many of their songs are making it onto the airwaves in a lot of modern house music. Some may laugh at you for this, but I like abba as well. A lot of disco simply had soul.

I like Abba...

ABBA is good stuff actually. You can't deny their hit-making ability. After some of the heavier concerts, I'd put on canned Frank Sinatra or ABBA just to lighten the mood.

If you change your mind, I'm the first in line

Honey I'm still free

Take a chance on me...

Makes even a biker reminise.

I love DOA, saw them in a concert in wpg, that was a wild friggin show, huge moshpit.

They were the band playing for my wife's 19th birthday (@ the time). Ended up in a huge riot with cops crackin' heads and throwing folks in the Black Marias. Made the national news. Good times...

:lol:

I got a few pals you can talk punk with One of my pals here has been part of the Ottawa scene for some time. I think you'd fit in.

I'm officially retired from the music biz. It was getting frickin' dangerous. But, I still enjoy going to the shows...especially the cheap punk shows...5 bands-5 bucks sort of stuff.

ABBA is good stuff actually. You can't deny their hit-making ability. After some of the heavier concerts, I'd put on canned Frank Sinatra or ABBA just to lighten the mood.

Oh dear, I'm not feeling very well all of a sudden.

I'm off to play my Micky D and the Forgotten Rebels vinyl....

I'm officially retired from the music biz. It was getting frickin' dangerous. But, I still enjoy going to the shows...especially the cheap punk shows...5 bands-5 bucks sort of stuff.

These rocker/punks that I know all have full time jobs besides playing. :) Lots of smart guys among them.