Obama Administration Keep US Ban on Maher Arar

Syria formally announced it doesn't torture... as has the U.S.

wait... now that the U.S. has clearly shown it does torture...

Canada doesn't torture either....it just Tazes you to death! :lol:

aren't you giddy with expectation to hear the ACLU is about to receive, and then release, another batch of Abu Ghraib photographs? Apparently we'll start to see them as early as next week... tick-tock, tick-tock... more fuel to the fire for that special prosecutor!

I sure hope so....I am a sucker for photos of necked man pyramids!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure hope so....I am a sucker for photos of necked man pyramids!

... the upcoming Pentagon release of more Abu Ghraib photographs - from a 2004 FOIP request made by the ALCU, no less... Bush held them off but Obama "caved" :lol:

memos, photographs... clearly the Obama administration is getting a bum rap with all the comparisons being made to 3rd world politics... where the triumphant coup d'etat banana republic dictator takes exorbitant measures to embarrass and deride the previous leader/government.

As expected, the new American administration is supporting the existing ban on Maher Arar's travel to or over the United States....

Interesting. The U.S. either has something more on him, or they just don't trust him. But i suppose it's the right of the U.S. to let in or keep out whomever they wish. I have no objection to this.

Interesting. The U.S. either has something more on him, or they just don't trust him. But i suppose it's the right of the U.S. to let in or keep out whomever they wish. I have no objection to this.

Mr. Arar's actions will be scrutinized for many years to come. I suspect that the reasons for the continued US travel ban have less to do with litigation and more to do with further disclosure of sources and methods.

Mr. Arar's actions will be scrutinized for many years to come. I suspect that the reasons for the continued US travel ban have less to do with litigation and more to do with further disclosure of sources and methods.

Agreed

In the end a country has the right to exclude any person they so desire for their own reasons.

Canadians - smug and self satisfied as they are - seldom realize this.

Borg

Agreed

In the end a country has the right to exclude any person they so desire for their own reasons.

Canadians - smug and self satisfied as they are - seldom realize this.

Borg

Indeed, the smugness of believing innocent people should be treated like innocent people.

In the end, Canadians have the right to say out loud that the U.S. Government is wrong on this one.

....In the end, Canadians have the right to say out loud that the U.S. Government is wrong on this one.

In the end, Canadians may say whatever they please, but it is not relevant to the matter of border access. Moreover, collective feelings of domestic guilt are not transitive to the USA, which deports and bars admission to thousands of people every year.

Indeed, the smugness of believing innocent people should be treated like innocent people.

In the end, Canadians have the right to say out loud that the U.S. Government is wrong on this one.

People get banned from the US by border officials every day for providing incorrect answers or due to suspicion out of not proving their intentions of travel. So, it's really no surprise or a big deal that Arar is banned.

Edited by noahbody

People get banned from the US by border officials every day for providing incorrect answers or due to suspicion out of not proving their intentions of travel. So, it's really no surprise or a big deal that Arar is banned.

Except for the fact Arar is known to be an innocent man, and there is nothing in the file that indicates he is a threat... other than a threat of ambarassment when the practices of the Bush administration are revealed.

Except for the fact Arar is known to be an innocent man, and there is nothing in the file that indicates he is a threat... other than a threat of ambarassment when the practices of the Bush administration are revealed.

People were denied admission and deported long before the "Bush administration" came along, and it is still happening today. Nice try......

Known to be innocent by a "court and political system" that is not worth respecting.

Paid out for a "so called" tortured existence - never saw a mark on the man and there was NO physical proof that anything happened. Or at least none that was reported as anything other than hearsay.

Pressure from the politically correct crowd and the media storm caused the politicians to crumble.

In the end - no matter who says what - NOT ONE person - other than a US citizen has the absolute right to enter that country. All others need permission - and the US will grant it to only those they chose.

Our little lying terrorist buddy will have to stay on the north side of the line and suck on the Canadian hind tit rather than hit the US - unless of course he can find another set of lefties to pay his massive legal bills if he really thinks it is worth it to fight the US government in court. Or will Canadians pony up that cash as well?

The US can do as it pleases - and with Canada not having such a great rep in the US it is not likely going to change.

If anything 'Bama and his boys will make it worse for Canadians over the next few years - and sooner or later folks will have to stop blaming Bush and see 'Bama is not the man Canadians would love him to be.

Traditionally the Canadian cries long, loud and hard but does not do much to back it up.

They love those US bucks too much.

The crack about Bush is delightful - seems his detractors forget that 'Bama is also upholding this entry ban - so they (B&"B") are either birds of a feather, or they know something Canadians do not - and likely will never know.

Borg

Known to be innocent by a "court and political system" that is not worth respecting.

If the Commission of inquiry had said to the world that Maher arar was a terrorist, despite the absence of any evidence, you would probably praise the justice system. That would say a lot more about you than about our justice system.

You are of course free to take the word of the people to send him to Syria for one purpose, and one purpose only (we both know what that was, don't we).

Paid out for a "so called" tortured existence - never saw a mark on the man and there was NO physical proof that anything happened. Or at least none that was reported as anything other than hearsay.

An examination of Maher Arar conducted on behalf of the Commission of inquiry concluded that while he had recuparated physically from his torture he still suffered the spychological consequence. The widespread use of torture in the Syrian prison where he was detained is well known. The recourse by the Bush administration of rendition, that is the oursourcing of torture to foreign country, is equally well known. Call it hearsay, I call it a lot, lot more convincing that any of the so-called evidence against him.

Pressure from the politically correct crowd and the media storm caused the politicians to crumble.

Or, to be more accurate, pressure from the public who wanted the truth and who got it.

In the end - no matter who says what - NOT ONE person - other than a US citizen has the absolute right to enter that country. All others need permission - and the US will grant it to only those they chose.

In the end, the decision by the U.S. Government to bar Arar is stil reprehensible.

Our little lying terrorist buddy

Pt course you have evidence of that, I mean something that would have escaped CSIS and that Stockwell Day didn't find when he read the U.S. file.

In the end, the decision by the U.S. Government to bar Arar is stil reprehensible.

Why? What is so special about Maher Arar being admitted to the USA?

Pt course you have evidence of that, I mean something that would have escaped CSIS and that Stockwell Day didn't find when he read the U.S. file.

Totally irrelevant......anybody can be turned away at the border.

Why? What is so special about Maher Arar being admitted to the USA?

Totally irrelevant......anybody can be turned away at the border.

The US is a bad boy for doing this, but Canada can do it and be considered to be a good boy - double standard at work here.

But that does not surprise me from canadian - he is a franco and they live that life in kebec - their own laws ban english and they are not as liberal as he might let on - he has been well trained to be a closet racist with a liberal coating - scrape it away and you will find ugly - bone deep ugly.

Borg

Edited by Borg