Canadians divided over creation and evolution

jdobbin

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But as to the fable that there are Antipodes, that is to say, men on the opposite side of the earth, where the sun rises when it sets to us, men who walk with their feet opposite ours, that is on no ground credible. And, indeed, it is not affirmed that this has been learned by historical knowledge, but by scientific conjecture, on the ground that the earth is suspended within the concavity of the sky, and that it has as much room on the one side of it as on the other: hence they say that the part which is beneath must also be inhabited. But they do not remark that, although it be supposed or scientifically demonstrated that the world is of a round and spherical form, yet it does not follow that the other side of the earth is bare of water; nor even, though it be bare, does it immediately follow that it is peopled.

---Saint Augustine

A symbol haunted world is enough to impose idealism.

That's nice. As mentioned, you can believe any damn fool thing you'd like. However, those of us who aren't religious or who believe in another religion (Heaven forbid!!) don't share your magic-8 ball Christian whacky Earth made in 7 days 6,000 years ago BS. Specifically, I think I speak for all concerned when I say keep it out of politics and the classroom.

But, then, that's Creation "Science's" only agenda: politics and the classroom...no better than Islam.

That's nice. As mentioned, you can believe any damn fool thing you'd like. However, those of us who aren't religious or who believe in another religion (Heaven forbid!!) don't share your magic-8 ball Christian whacky Earth made in 7 days 6,000 years ago BS. Specifically, I think I speak for all concerned when I say keep it out of politics and the classroom.

But, then, that's Creation "Science's" only agenda: politics and the classroom...no better than Islam.

10 to 1 he believes the Rosicrucians and the Theosophists are erudite holders of the mystical truths

I read the OP and the 1st page and the last 3, all threads go off on wild tangents unrelated to the OP so there's no need to read the mud in the middle

Hi wyly! You see, this thread, which was created to discuss why many Canadians have been convinced by creationist literature to doubt the accepted theory of evolution. It started drifting off topic, like most threads do, but then benny and betsy hijacked it. Benny, for the purpose of promoting his guru - some guy named Zizek, who looks like he doesn't grasp the concept of personal hygiene, based on his appearance on his Youtube clips; and betsy - perhaps because starting two other threads attacking the personal character and qualities of Charles Darwin and Richard Dawkins are just not enough!

which is exactly what religion is primitive childish fairy tales there is no difference, you need to stand back and look at it like an educated adult to be able to see it...
The people who want to push religious interpretations on science just can't grasp the concept of Methodological Naturalism. It's fine to believe in supernatural events and personalities, which by their very definition, are placed in a realm where they cannot be tested objectively -- but that fact alone means that they should be regarded as personal subjective beliefs until some creationist or believer in souls, faith-healing etc. can figure out a method to test them. It's not that these claims have been suppressed, as their advocates contend, it's just that they should not be accepted as viable theories until they can make testable predictions explaining natural phenomena that can be repeated.

Since they seem to have no confidence of proving their claims with empirical, observable, and/or measurable evidence, they resort to the fallback position - attacking the existing theories that are used to explain the evidence. The result is an increase in ignorance, and a growing population of incredulous boobs who can be led to believe any claim their trusted authorities make.

The False Vacuum scenario has to be one of the scariest things science has ever postulated.

:o:lol:

The possibility that we are living in a false vacuum has never been a cheering one to contemplate. Vacuum decay is the ultimate ecological catastrophe; in the new vacuum there are new constants of nature; after vacuum decay, not only is life as we know it impossible, so is chemistry as we know it. However, one could always draw stoic comfort from the possibility that perhaps in the course of time the new vacuum would sustain, if not life as we know it, at least some structures capable of knowing joy. This possibility has now been eliminated.

—S.Coleman & F. De luccia

I probably don't understand it well enough to be afraid of it; and the implications of Dark Energy means we live in a universe that will fly apart and cease to exist...after a hundred billion years or so. In the cyclic universe and other M-theory based metaverse theories, it's the expanded, dying universes that provide the energy for the formation of new universes when their branes collide with each other. All of the existing cosmology theories (including Eternal Inflation that has developed from the Big Bang Model) which are being developed these days require a metaverse backdrop with new universes being born, expanding and then dying after they have cooled down and reached a critical minimum density. So, a universe has a life cycle! But then so does everything in a universe including us and any other complex life forms.

BTW fundamentalist theologians such as Plantinga, Richard Swinburne and William Lane Craig, have not warmed to the idea that our universe is not a one off event, and that there are many others. Likely because the implications are that a god who creates a metaverse has an even larger creation to look after. It's hard enough accepting a concept that we are somehow special in the eyes of a creator, from what we understand of this universe. If there are countless other universes, it becomes even more ludicrous to view the human race and Planet Earth as the number one concern of the creator.

I probably don't understand it well enough to be afraid of it; and the implications of Dark Energy means we live in a universe that will fly apart and cease to exist...after a hundred billion years or so. If there are countless other universes, it becomes even more ludicrous to view the human race and Planet Earth as the number one concern of the creator.

yup, the Universe is complicated and difficult enough to comphrehend as it is without making it a biziillion times more complex by inventing a mythical sky fairy who created it all...where did the sky fairy come from? who created the sky fairy?

A classroom is a place where an order (traditional, modern or postmodern) is imposed not a place where something objective can be learned.

I probably don't understand it well enough to be afraid of it; and the implications of Dark Energy means we live in a universe that will fly apart and cease to exist...after a hundred billion years or so.

I'm in the same boat not being a cosmologist, etc...but, as near as I can tell, it is the unfortunate hypothetical event of the Universe popping much like a soap bubble. We wouldn't...nor would anyone else...survive. What's worse is that it would happen at light speed so you might not even know it happened until too late...not that you coulda done anything, anyways.

:lol: