Another Harper No Show

Challenge to Harper

Harper Won’t Talk Budget With Layton, Mclellan - Backs out of CBC Newsworld, afraid to defend his old ideas, as debate hypocrisy grows.

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper continues to duck NDP Leader Jack Layton, today backing out of a scheduled appearance on CBC Newsworld in which he was to discuss the federal budget with Layton and Liberal Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan.

Harper, who last year backed out of about 10 discussions with Layton on issues such as the war on Iraq, same-sex marriage and the last federal budget backed out this morning. No word on whether McLellan is an also ran, the excuse Harper gave on the weekend for turning down Layton’s debate challenge.

Challenge to Harper

I just do not understand why harper refuses to debate.

One would think a party leader would want to take full advantage of opportunities to present his platform.

Unless harper has someting to hide, that is, eh? :P

Challenge to Harper

Harper Won’t Talk Budget With Layton, Mclellan - Backs out of CBC Newsworld, afraid to defend his old ideas, as debate hypocrisy grows.

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper continues to duck NDP Leader Jack Layton, today backing out of a scheduled appearance on CBC Newsworld in which he was to discuss the federal budget with Layton and Liberal Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan.

Harper, who last year backed out of about 10 discussions with Layton on issues such as the war on Iraq, same-sex marriage and the last federal budget backed out this morning. No word on whether McLellan is an also ran, the excuse Harper gave on the weekend for turning down Layton’s debate challenge.

Challenge to Harper

I just do not understand why harper refuses to debate.

One would think a party leader would want to take full advantage of opportunities to present his platform.

Unless harper has someting to hide, that is, eh? :P

heh, and the screwing up begins.

Layton is pathetically desperate to prove he's really a somebody and a player.

Like I said:

Harper is running for Prime Minister.

Layton is running to share the Prime Minister's bed.

Layton's latest idiotic rant?

The Liberals are going to pay down the national debt over the next ten years by...and I'm not making this up...$200 billion dollars.

Um, Jacko...

That's about $20 billion per year.

:lol::lol::lol:

Twit and doofus are too generous to describe this...dolt.

It would appear that Jack has deftly decided to target, not the under $30,000 wage earner, but the under 30 IQ sector.

:lol:

It would appear that Jack has deftly decided to target, not the under $30,000 wage earner, but the under 30 IQ sector.

That one is too rich for my blood.

Look, the question right now is totally irrelevant - wherever Layton is sitting, or however Harper feels.

Canada enjoys a parliamentary system where debate is a given, all up and down the line - federal, provincial, municipal. (The Americans copied the French Enlightenment and got something quite different in their politics.)

Martin has no choice - his ego wants it too bad. There'll be a debate and it'll be better than Clark-Trudeau 1979 "You don't seem to be on top of your dossiers." "You really seem to believe that you're the only one who can govern this country." - even better than Mulroney-Turner "I happen to think you sold us out." "You do not have a monopoly on patriotism!"

Find a US presidential debate with exchanges well, as rich as that.

For fun, benefit from your tax dollars and watch this segment: Video Clip

The Liberals are going to pay down the national debt over the next ten years by...and I'm not making this up...$200 billion dollars.

But that's only under $1000 a year for each Canadian to eat.

Heck, I spend that much at Morton's Steak House at least twice a week.

What's the big deal?

Besides, Paul Martin is a top notch business man, he isn't planning to get it from hard working Canadians, most of it will come via smart investment. I guarantee that!!!

"Besides, Paul Martin is a top notch business man, he isn't planning to get it from hard working Canadians, most of it will come via smart investment. I guarantee that!!!"

I am happy to hear that you will guarantee this lofty promise. This means you can pay for it.

I know what Haper is trying to do - he is trying to pretend the NDP don't exist...as if they'll just go away. He wants it to be a conservative vs. Liberal race (only)..

Trouble is that his party and its policies stink.

The conservatives are pro-Iraq war, pro-Star Wars, anti-Kyoto, and they are the original authors of the GST...all of which are unpopular positions in the Canadian voters mind. Now that the Liberals are waffling on these issues, the threat on both parties is from the NDP...despite the best effort of the Liberals and Conservatives to ignore it.

again, i don't know about others but...

i don't trust anybody whos not willing to talk about ones policies to EVERYBODY. what are these used car salesman hiding under the hood!

apologies to reputable car salesman everywhere (if you exist at all).

If the Cons have their way Canadians will not find about harper until after the vote.

Scary thought.

Of course you're wrong.

Layton also pointed out that Canadians consistently say their parents need health care, their kids need tuition help, and their environment needs help. And the Liberals respond with a budget that spends billions on debt reduction. “It’s like paying off the mortgage faster when your grandmother’s sick, the roof’s caving in and your daughter’s got to pay her tuition,” said Layton.

Instead, the Liberals are poised to spend at least $30 billion over the next ten years, presuming rosy economic projections are correct, on meeting the artificial target of a debt-to-GDP ratio of 25%. By investing that money in Canadians’ priorities and allowing economic growth, balanced budgets would achieve the same debt-to-GDP ratio in 11 years. “We’re the only G-8 country in surplus and those surpluses are being squandered solely to meet an artificial target,” he said.

Given the amount of derision being heaped on Layton by the Reformatory set, it's clear they're scared. They know Harper has about as much populist appeal as a dead fish, and that their Frankenparty is berfet of new ideas, or indeed, any policy that's not simply warmed over Reform swill, which Canadians east of Manitoba have consistently rejected. Even in the midst of the sponsorship scanadal, the Cons are full of sound and fury, but lacking in substance. Despite the media's tireless promotion of the Cons, Harper himself knows he wouldn't stand a chance if put on the hot seat, so he's staying out of any situiation that doesn't allow him to control the media environment. In other words: he's chicken. *Buckka bukka buk!* :P

Can the guy get a chance to hang his coat up? Give him a break here, I just learned about this interview, after reading about it I can't see anything amiss here.

Harper is a seasoned politician, he hates the CBC, and he wanted opportunity to attack the CBC.

CBC just did their job.

If he is not ready for any question, why not?

Does it mean he is trying to hide what he represents?

Harper has nothing to gain debating with Layton as Stronach did in the CBC and Global debate.

But I found strange and funny to see those who are supporting Harper are not arguing the same thing.

And as Stronach, it will hurt Harper if he refuses the challenge.

Why the double standard?

A lot of Canadians are very very worried about Mr Harpers plans.

If he is not deceiving Canadians, if he has nothing to hide, he needs to avail himself of every opportunity to explain to Canadians what he represents, and what he believes in.

Harper berated Belinda big time for not debating.

Harper needs to do the right thing and debate his ideas with Layton.

Otherwise it can come across as very, very hypocritical.

And also it can come across as fear, afraid to share with Canadians what he really represents, for fear that Canadians don't support his ideas.

Canadians are anxious to know him. I think Mr Harper should treat Canadians with more respect.

I'm not a fan of the angry white guys but I really doubt Harper & Co. have anything to fear from Layton.

Even if Layton is supremely eloquent and convincing in the debate, it's unlikely he will get any right leaning Cons. to jump ship to the NDP. I think, if Layton does make a good show of a debate, he will draw more support from the disgruntled Liberals out there. This only weakens the liberals, and gives Harper a better shot.

Also, I don't think discounting Layton because he isn't a sitting MP is very tactful. He hasn't had a chance yet to get the position, and by discounting him as legitimate, it's like discounting the entire party, and all of their supporters. ' Who cares about these people, and what they think, they don't even have a real leader. '

Harper and Stronach not debating is a totally different situation then Harper not debating Layton. Stronach was a legitimate contender to the Leadership of the Conservative Party. Layton is not a legitimate contender. Putting Layton on the same platform as Harper would be elevating Layton’s political status. This spring is going to be a two horse race, there is no need to cloud the issue in bringing a third along for the ride.

Harper is not being hypocritical at all, he’s showing he knows how to play the game. There is no reason to give the illegitimate validity.

Willy pretty well summed it up nicely, Layton can debate Harper anytime he wants after he wins a seat.

How many members does the NDP have? How many other supporters besides that? Jack Layton was legitimately elected as the leader of the NDP. By writing him off and not letting debate happen, Harper is also writing off the voice and the opinions of thousands and thousands of people.

Disregarding the spokesmen for a large group of people is plain stupid and arrogant. If the president of the cattlemen's federation or the teachers union want to talk to Harper and he say's 'so sorry you don't have a seat', you see what the repercussions will be.

Harper is out there talking about his policies everyday. His profile is rising in the media and he is gaining momentum. If Martin wanted to debate Harper, I am sure his response would be a total 180. When you are running a race, you don’t keep looking over your shoulder, you keep your focus on the leader (which happens to be the current prime minister) and your eye on the prize. Layton needs all the media attention he can get and this is just another item in his bag of tricks. Harper ain’t falling for it.

(Being an old Tory, I can't believe I am defending Steven Harper, what's this world coming to!)

Even if Layton is supremely eloquent and convincing in the debate, it's unlikely he will get any right leaning Cons. to jump ship to the NDP. I think, if Layton does make a good show of a debate, he will draw more support from the disgruntled Liberals out there. This only weakens the liberals, and gives Harper a better shot.

I don't think Jack ha sany i9nterest in attracting any right wing Reformatorie sto the party. By attacking Harper, he's sending a message to the Red Tory factions who may have stuck with the new party out of some sense of brand loyalty. That message is simple: the new Conservatives are merely the same old Reform/Alliance crowd. With the Liberals firmly ensconced on the right wing (sharing elbow room with the new Cons), anyone with any left or centirst leanings should look to the NDP.

This spring is going to be a two horse race, there is no need to cloud the issue in bringing a third along for the ride.

Overconfidence has been the end of many politicos. Layton has been doing a fantastic job of raising the NDP's profile (without, as some have noted, the benefit of a seat in the House). Of course he's going to look for any further opportunities to get the party's message out. That's his job.

By calling out Harper, Jack wins both ways: Harper says no, and ends up loking scared or arrogant. He agrees and Jack takes the dull one to bits. :D