'Do-not-call' list made situation 'worse': group

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

After its launch last September, Canadians added more than 2.7 million phone numbers to the national do-not-call list.

But now, with nearly 6 million numbers registered, many Canadians who signed up are feeling duped because they're receiving more telemarketing calls than ever before.

That's because the do-not-call list may have gotten into the wrong hands.

To access the list, a telemarketer simply has to go to the National Do Not Call List website, enter the appropriate information and pay a small fee.

Great. Another screw up by the government.

If one is on the do-not-call list, and receives a call, the person or group calling is suppose to be fined. From my own personal experience since going on that list, I've received many fewer calls than I did before. So for me, it's working fine. It may still need a few tweaks, but look on the bright side, at least it's not the billion dollar fiasco of a gun registry. :lol:

That doesn't stop them. Hanging up, not answering and the like is like hoping spam stops. It just keeps coming and coming.

It doesn't stop the call but you don't have to answer it. How many of these calls do people really get in a week. 2 -3, why bother putting your name on list. Really how smart is it to put your name on a publicly accessable list with a phone number? When you receive a call from a telemarketer they are required to take you name off their call list, they are the repubiable companies and fundraising organizations and the ones that will follow the law. The ones that come up 000-000-0000 and are automated are the ones that are the fraudsters calling from other areas of the world and what to they care of following our laws. This list was not needed and I am glad I didn't put my name or number on it. Although I already forsaw this problem. Now if only we didn't have publically accessable donation lists as it is not your business who I donate to just that I don't excede the donation limit. We don't need the kind of crap that is going on in California with the Prop 8 map and donation list.

It doesn't stop the call but you don't have to answer it. How many of these calls do people really get in a week. 2 -3, why bother putting your name on list.

I don't answer the calls. Just pointing out we are seeing more fraudsters out there and the "Do Not Call List" made it possible for people commit fraud.

Lately I gotten 3, one was about how I was spending too much on the interest of my credit card., First how did they know IF I had one, which I don't paid off cut it up. This company was located in New Hampshire, I traced their number on the net. Second, was for a warranty on my car was about to expire... my car is 11 old and last one came on saying "this is your captain and we are waiting for you to board". So far all calls are out of country.

It might be. And any government that sets something like it up is begging for a lawsuit.

So you are goingt o blame the government to tried to give idiots what they wanted? This is exactly the same senario as the long gun registry a list protects nobody, the criminals still do what they want and get a hold of what they want, and if they got a hold of the registry list as well there would be a lot of stolen gun used by criminals committing crimes.

The most annoying phone calls I receive are from my own bank.

They call up, I answer because it's my bank and I anticipate they might have something important to tell me. Instead, they ask me a couple of rudimentary questions about my satisfaction with my bank account and credit card, then proceed to attempt to sell me new "services". Insurance on my debts if I should be unable to make payments (if I had debts...) and insurance against credit card fraud and so on. The last one even promised that if I lost my cell phone, they'd pay off charges made to my cell phone account.

It's annoying to be receiving a sales pitch under the pretense of legitimate business from a company I already do business with.

But what's more serious to me is the possibility that these calls aren't being made by my bank, but by a call center who has been contracted by my bank. If that's the case, how can they ensure the safety of my personal information? If they've given call center employees this information to contact me and ask questions about my bank accounts and try to sell me other financial services... can they vouch for the integrity of employees that they didn't hire or screen in the first place? While it's not nice to generalize, call center employees are often people that I wouldn't even trust to wash my car, let alone handle my financial information.

-k

I get some with phone numbers 000-000-0000. How do you stop them?

If you are tech savvy, there are freeware computer programs or dedicated hardware call screeners that learn which calls to block from you and other shared user blocking lists.

Example: Telemarketing Blocker

http://www.download.com/Telemarketing-Bloc...4-10216262.html

Don't play victim......fight back! :lol:

I think people wanted a system that was not accessed by fraudsters. Are you saying the gun registry has had that happen?

I'm not saying it happened but the potential is their. All I am saying is becareful of lists that you put your name of and use a little for thought about how the list may be abused.

But what's more serious to me is the possibility that these calls aren't being made by my bank, but by a call center who has been contracted by my bank. If that's the case, how can they ensure the safety of my personal information?

You can go to your bank and ask them to change your privacy preferences. The banks have do not solicit lists and generally honor them in the interest of customer satisfaction.

You have to go in and ask them to do so on your own, however.

2 or 3 a week would be nice! I figure I get at least two a day of 'This is your second notice that the factory warranty of your vehicle is about to expire.'-- the one that has a cease and desist order in Saskatchewan. I'd be willing to bet that geography has as much to do with how many you get as anything else.

I'm not registered on the 'do not call' list yet, but figure it should at least control the bulk food, hockey ticket, weekends at local resorts, and window salespeople. It will reduce some of the annoyance calls, but do nothing about the real fraudsters.

Edited by Molly

I have been getting more than uwsual, and for the first time I am now getting them on my cell phone too.

I've tried all the usual, now I just wait patiently and answer every single comment or question or part of their script with the most graphic obscenity possible.

I am doing my part to discourage people from working in the industry.

I predicted this. This is exactly why I didn't sign up.

You see, the telemarketer needs the list so that they 'know who not to call'.

But, they do everything offshore, and outside the legal jurisdiction of Canada. This allows them to make robocalls over VOIP dirt cheap.

And now they have a nice active list to work off of.