'I was still holding my grandson's hand - the rest was gone&#3

kuzadd

Kuzadd I realize were just typing back and forth here, and I understand what your trying to get across, free trade is always the way to go over war. Unfortunetly we live in a real world where a utopian idealogy does not exsist. The FACTS of the matter is between, the US, China, or Russia one of those countries is going to force influence over the region. Its a given. So why dont we start with what we KNOW is going to happen and try to make a better world from there. You can't look at an armed man robbing you and think "if only someone had given him a break" the fact is hes still just going to rob you.

no I said, real trade, what passes as "free trade" is anything but.

Real trade is not a utopian ideology

What constitutes a better world, in your mind, does not constitute a better world in someone else's mind.

We do not KNOW what is going to happen, we can only make a number of assumptions....

I appreciate the analogy, but it doesn't make any sense to what we are speaking of.

Of the oil in that region is traded with another country, that is the choice and decision of the two countries involved, whom ever they may be.

Forcing, invading and occupying another country for resources is plain old colonialism or imperialism, take your pick, but it is not trade.

There are options and better ways to spend the money that is spent on war... spend it on alternative energy resources, it will have to be done anyway,,,,, so just do it, get on with it.

By being less dependant you reduce the need for war as there is less competition for resources.... I know, it is such new and modern thinking and just makes plain sense.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no I said, real trade, what passes as "free trade" is anything but.

Real trade is not a utopian ideology

What constitutes a better world, in your mind, does not constitute a better world in someone else's mind.

We do not KNOW what is going to happen, we can only make a number of assumptions....

I appreciate the analogy, but it doesn't make any sense to what we are speaking of.

Of the oil in that region is traded with another country, that is the choice and decision of the two countries involved, whom ever they may be.

Forcing, invading and occupying another country for resources is plain old colonialism or imperialism, take your pick, but it is not trade.

There are options and better ways to spend the money that is spent on war... spend it on alternative energy resources, it will have to be done anyway,,,,, so just do it, get on with it.

By being less dependant you reduce the need for war as there is less competition for resources.... I know, it is such new and modern thinking and just makes plain sense.

Well Im not arguing that point with you. I think Wind technology is the next best step. Ive read that if we set up wind generators from North Dakota down to Texas we could cover 25 percent of the nations Engergy needs immediately. That would have a huge effect on the price of oil alone. I'm definetly not arguing that invading a country to control the oil is the right way. Its just the way it is and has always been. You could go back to 10000 BC and find cavemen invading eachother for food, or supplies. Its just human nature. I guess im either pesemistic or have a healthy dose of reality because as much as i would like to see free trade, I just don't ever think its going to exsist.

Here's one for the thread...

Schoolchildren killed in Afghan bombing

CBC News: A suicide bomber blew himself up near a school in Afghanistan's southeastern province of Khost on Sunday, killing 16 people — all but two of them young students — the U.S. military said.

The blast wounded 58 other people, said Asif Nang, spokesman for the Afghan Ministry of Education....

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/12/28/afghan-school.html

----------------------------------------------------

If that's how Kilgore fought the war I began to wonder what they really had against Kurtz. It wasn't just insanity and murder, there was enough of that to go around for everyone.

---Capt Willard: Apocalypse Now!

Anderson Cooper characterized him as that 'Jewish fraudster'? haha. hardly.

it's ok BC Chick. I see your stripes. As long as your are comfortable with being an anti-semite then that's all that really matters isn't it?

She wasn't being anti-semitic. She was referring to the word shyster. I hope you were being sarcastic. Its one of those accusations someone can not defend which is why am saying what I am. I am under the impression BC was in fact questioning such stereotyping.

I debate BC on many issues which I do not agree with but she is a very respectful person from what I have read.

She wasn't being anti-semitic. She was referring to the word shyster. I hope you were being sarcastic. Its one of those accusations someone can not defend which is why am saying what I am. I am under the impression BC was in fact questioning such stereotyping.

I debate BC on many issues which I do not agree with but she is a very respectful person from what I have read.

Aww, thanks Rue, I didn't see this post till now.

No prob. You know I respect you although we often disagree. There is not an ounce of deliberate hatred in you in my humble opinion which is more then I can say about myself. Lol.

Rue, you know what the difference is (IMO) between an anti-semitic rant against Israel and legitimate criticism?

You can tell the anti-semites because they are under the impression that Israel's wrongdoings are *because* they're Jewish. I see it all the time, things like "Jews have always been like that" or "Jews only care about themselves" and so on. Time and time again I've seen that argument and every time I speak out against it.

Me, OTOH, I think it doesn't matter if people are white, black, Jewish or Muslim, power is what corrupts people. I root for the underdog because as you say I'm an idealist. But I'm a realist enough to also know that the underdog would do the same if the situation were reverse.

But just because I know people of any ethnicity would do the same given the chance, it doesn't mean I sit by idly and accept the status quo like some people like to do with things like "look at history, it doesn't matter who's in charge, that's the way of the world."

I believe in dispersing power. That's why we need to create a 2 state solution in Israel.... yesterday!

Anyway, you like to say I'm biased toward Israel. If I am, it's because I don't see this as an equal fight, it's like me beating up a 5 year old and saying they asked for it.

It that anti-semitism? No, Judaism has nothing to do with any of it. It's unequal power dynamics that are the culprit. Power needs to be dispersed. That's why the world was better off when there were two superpowers and I welcome the rise of other countries in the East.

Oh, but the Eastern countries are barbaric people say? Like shock and awe and Guantanamo weren't? Those even came from a country *founded* on liberty and fraternity!

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Israel at this point, has absolute power over the Palestinians. If Israel *didn't* become an aggressor it would be against the law of human nature.

Edited by BC_chick