A Fight That Can't Be Won. Afghanistan Mission.

What he wrote is not hard to understand, but for those who do not WANT to understand, and come back with nothing but silly ad hominem attacks.

My comment on the current situation is, I doubt that Canadians feel nationalistic pride when one of our soldiers dies. Sorrow, yes. Anger perhaps- but not necessarily at the Afghanistanis.

We would feel a sense of pride or unity if this was a real war that actually threatened us at home. Since it does not, and the Taliban never threatened to attack Canada directly, we feel disconnected from this war. Most people have very limited awareness or concern over it. It's only something we hear about on the news, if at all and then usually bad news.

Who really wants this war anyway... who does it benefit? Lets ask the shoe-throwing Iraqi what he thinks of the war on terror, and the new liberty bestowed on his country. I believe he said "Here is your thanks, you dog".

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the way Bush-Cheney leaves after he skillfully provokes me into revealing myself just a little bit more...hope he's not composing a file on me...I don't care if he sticks me on the no fly list - It would be preferable if he put me on the no die list. :lol: In truth there is not much to reveal - I am just a common simplton who sees thing in a simple manner - You don't kill people for fun and profit - others or your own - I rest my case.

You're right! 103 dead soldiers is nothing. We can and should lose far more than that before we start considering the term 'defeat'. Just look to the Taliban. They have lost far more than that - by miles - yet they have yet to admit defeat.

Good thing the govt put a time limit on this thing cause if we go by body count we'll be there forever.

Skin tones? You are young and fully programmed - maybe the UN can use your services...they are all for getting rid of all skin tones. Look at the historic and genetic disloyalty that you profess. You are more than skin..you are the product of a culture that is a thousand years old - and now you look back as if you were born yesterday and belong to no one and no one belongs to you. Your core can not be changed - you are the product of a certain tribe...but of course you really don't care about your grandfather or great grand mother and so on who brought you into being in this present form...what's wrong with propogation of your own? Whats so "racist" about you having children of your own - so you as a family - _race - can continue - do I smell the hint of liberal eugenics here?

What a load of BS. Nobody professes genetic disloyalty, we all have different genes so it's somewhat hard to be genetically loyal since we're not all carbon copies due to our skin pigmentation.

I am not a product of a certain tribe, in fact I'd say that our strength in the west comes from the fact we abandoned petty tribalism ages ago.

We would feel a sense of pride or unity if this was a real war that actually threatened us at home. Since it does not, and the Taliban never threatened to attack Canada directly, we feel disconnected from this war. Most people have very limited awareness or concern over it. It's only something we hear about on the news, if at all and then usually bad news.

The Taliban never threatened anyone outside directly. What they did was effectively turn Afghanistan into a training base for Al Qaeda, and those guys have spent some considerable time threatening the West. The point of toppling Afghanistan and trying to set up a proper government was to cut Al Qaeda off from the only nation on the planet that acted effectively as a local branch.

Actually, they have threatened to attack Canada - more than once.

http://www.amherstdaily.com/index.cfm?sid=38689&sc=58

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/s...14-18e52a333677

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.htm...d91&k=70612

Canada has lost 103 soldiers in Afghanistan over the span of about 7 years, yes?

How long does it take ethnic gangs in Canada's biggest cities lose that many lives? About 2 months?

-k

103 in 7 years not counting the missing fingers and feet and chunks of scull....lets add that up..must be a few thousand maimed by now. You call them ethnic gangs, interesting... so hand gun warfare in Canadian cities is tribal? If that is the case, small wonder that our government in their multi-cultural stupor - can not fully intigrate other cultures - so how do they expect to alter a culture of millions thousands of miles away - I say impossible...and even if we could - will it be worth the lives and the material resourse..material resources that will not be utlized here in times of dire ecomomic times? Frankly - for those that are attempting to change the culture if that what motivates our righty lefties -----------maybe they should send thousands of our warm and fuzzy big butted social workers over there - the ones graduating from those cheezy community colleges...who have to attack cultures in our mulit culture to sustain employement. :lol: Those soldiers that believe they are bringing about change in the Afghanistan cultural family....have been taught by our intrusive liberal educational system - should be told - none of your damned buisness what others do....what is it to you? How does it effect you? If America is in the buisness of policing the world...are we in the buisness of speading the Canadian cultural experiment?

I love the way Bush-Cheney leaves after he skillfully provokes me into revealing myself just a little bit more...hope he's not composing a file on me...I don't care if he sticks me on the no fly list - It would be preferable if he put me on the no die list. :lol: In truth there is not much to reveal - I am just a common simplton who sees thing in a simple manner - You don't kill people for fun and profit - others or your own - I rest my case.

Relax.....there is more to life than the immediacy of your anxieties. Didn't know we had a date.

In any event, bullet holes and burns are no strangers to my relatives...and that's just from domestic violence! :lol: You will need to cry a better river than that. If my parents went on as you do about what they "own", I would kick them in the ass myself. If you love someone, set them free.

People are killed for a myriad of reasons.....often without fun or profit.

Canada's military mission in that nation ends in 2011, and there is a zero chance of that being extended.

Nope...it will just be changed for another in-theatre mission.

America has lost much respect in the world. I can only hope that their new leader will be able to reverse that trend.

Right....America was the paragon of virtue before invading Afghanistan.....wait, if that were true, then it wouldn't need to invade Afghanistan. Oh well......

Your "what" is dismissive..why? Do you not take any interest in the waste of young men? Or are you one of these elitist types suffering from the great disconnect that is based in arrogance? Maybe you think that the the sons of the blue collar class are inferiour and sub-human and their deaths are just part of doing buisness - explain yourself...I would like to know what motivates you smirky "what"

I think you should ask these brave men and women why they willingly volunteer to serve in Afghanistan. They know that we have shouldered a heavy burdon yet they continue to believe in doing a greater good for the people of Afghanistan.......and they continue to willingly volunteer. What would you tell these people - don't bother - it's not worth it? They don't seem to be listening to you.

100 dead...

One volley from one French regiment at Waterloo.

One landing craft sunk at Juno Beach.

One large artillery shell impact at Ypres.

One torpedo hit on a troop ship crossing the Atlantic.

One 500 kilo bomb strike in central London during the Blitz.

One minute tommygun fight during the Battle of Stalingrad.

Eight plus years of service in Afghanistan.

-------------------------------------

The goggles...they do nothing!

---Rainier Wolfcastle: The Simpsons

Canada has conducted military operations for decades, more often than not those were of a peacekeeping nature, but not always. In this case, in Afgahnistan, our military mission will in fact cease conducting offensive operations. Humanitarian aid, military aid will continue for an indefinite period.

America has NEVER been a paragon of virtue. They have however had a much more respectful foreign policy at some times in the past, that was a luxury they can no longer afford. The world has changed for them, and it has not been a kind or gentle change at that.

The world cannot afford to have the Americans stand by and watch. There is China, and the entire Asian matter to be dealt with. There is the Russians for the Europeans to deal with. Last but not least there is the powder keg of South America to ponder.

100 dead...

One volley from one French regiment at Waterloo.

One landing craft sunk at Juno Beach.

One large artillery shell impact at Ypres.

One torpedo hit on a troop ship crossing the Atlantic.

One 500 kilo bomb strike in central London during the Blitz.

One minute tommygun fight during the Battle of Stalingrad.

Eight plus years of service in Afghanistan.

-------------------------------------

The goggles...they do nothing!

---Rainier Wolfcastle: The Simpsons

Your point? Vietnam was less deaths then

One Nuke on Japan

ONE DEAD IS ENOUGH FOR THIS GUY. That is the one that counts. Stop trying to justifying deaths by making it seem insignificant. I love our troops bring them home, and when we enter a battle that is our battle to fight I will sign up and go with them.

...America has NEVER been a paragon of virtue. They have however had a much more respectful foreign policy at some times in the past, that was a luxury they can no longer afford. The world has changed for them, and it has not been a kind or gentle change at that.

Nonsense....not for the Americas, not for Europe, not for Africa, and not for Asia. Stop pretending that America is any different from what it has always been.

The world cannot afford to have the Americans stand by and watch. There is China, and the entire Asian matter to be dealt with. There is the Russians for the Europeans to deal with. Last but not least there is the powder keg of South America to ponder.

Sorry....you can't have it both ways....American muscle is not your puppet.

Context. Viet Nam was pretty bloody, actually. Over 50,000 US dead over the entire war. Millions dead on the Communist side.

---------------------

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to.

---Lesley Gore

That is my point Context. One life or 50 000 if the war is right in the first place then it will continue. The deaths put it in context for us. This is not right so one death is enough in a fight that is pointless.

If it was 50 000 deaths then you would want out? So those 100 men aren't your stopping point? Well the first guy was mine.

Edited by punked