Powell Endorsement

Many people will vote for McCain even though they may disagree with his (Bush) policies and his gimmicky pick for a VP. And they will do it just because they won't vote for an African American. So, if African Americans vote for Obama just because he is African American, that might even up that score. Thank heavens!

OBAMA: This morning a great soldier, a great statesman.

POWELL: Banned materials have recently been moved from a number of Iraqi weapons of mass destruction facilities.

OBAMA: A great American has endorsed our campaign for change.

POWELL: There can be no doubt that Saddam Hussein has biological weapons.

OBAMA: I have been honored to have the benefit of his wisdom.

POWELL: Saddam Hussein has never accounted for vast amounts of chemical weaponry.

OBAMA: And his counsel.

POWELL: Saddam Hussein is determined to get his hands on a nuclear bomb.

OBAMA: But today I'm beyond honor.

POWELL: Iraq today harbors a deadly terrorist network headed by Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, an associate and collaborator of Osama bin Laden.

OBAMA: I am deeply humbled.

POWELL: Leaving Saddam Hussein in possession of weapons of mass destruction for a few more months or years is not an option, not in a post-September 11th world.

OBAMA: I am deeply humbled to have the support of General Colin Powell

No matter....many "African" Americans will vote for Obama simply because he is "black" (though he really isn't). "Whites" will vote for McCain out of a countering motivation. Sometimes it's "racial" because that's what the voter wants it to be, and it's their choice.

Obama isn't black? What is he, fluorescent pink?

There's a legit argument for black people to vote for a black candidate. A lot of them probably believe he will look after their own interests better than whitey has, and they're probably right. Is that racist or is it common sense?

Obama isn't black? What is he, fluorescent pink?

Technically, Obama is "bi-racial"...if that sort of thing is important. The US Census Bureau recognizes the distinction.

There's a legit argument for black people to vote for a black candidate. A lot of them probably believe he will look after their own interests better than whitey has, and they're probably right. Is that racist or is it common sense?

It is neither and both, but only legitimizes "white people" doing the same. I guess the Asians and Hispanics and Natives lose out again...huh?

I agree with you regarding Powell. I like the direct way he's stated his opinions. Just straight out said what he had to say without apology or trying to sugar coat it. We need more of that, so hopefully more will follow his lead. I do think Powell's endorsement will swing some undecided moderates over to Obama.

As I said, beyond the endorsement itself, what I really liked about about Powell's decision was the the fact that he went on to criticise how far right the Republican Party has gone on a number of occasions. He's right, if you compare Regean to Bush Sr. to Bush Jr. and what would happen with a McCain presidency (which'll more likely than not turn into a Palin presidency) you see this turn to the right in a linear fashion.

Powell is right, the party needs to rethink its religious ties.

I think the Colin Powell's endorsement will hurt Obama in the long run. Powell was railroaded into promoting the lies during the run up to the Iraq war. He may not have been responsible for the information, but he seemed to have gone against his better judgement and presented the so called evidence. Powell has since then come clean with his involvement in it. He knew the intelligence was wrong, but the boss will tell you what you are going to say and present.

I really don't think this will benefit Obama at all.

Powell didn't want to be on the 'Bush body count". Ever been to that website? Clinton has one too.

We have seen numerous instances in the last few weeks of Republicans expressing dismay at the narrowing of the party by pandering to the Palin wing. There is even speculation of a reverse Bradley effect, where long-time Republicans are secretly voting for Obama because they know he is the best choice. They just don't want to admit it out loud.

Edited by BubberMiley

We have seen numerous instances in the last few weeks of Republicans expressing dismay at the narrowing of the party by pandering to the Palin wing. There is even speculation of a reverse Bradley effect, where long-time Republicans are secretly voting for Obama because they know he is the best choice. They just don't want to admit it out loud.

I can understand why people are conservative from a fiscal standpoint (I tend to think of myself that way -- I'd prefer private sector solutions to certain problems, not all, but certain ones), but what kills the GOP for me each and every time is the social conservative wing of the party. From gay marriage amendments to Terri Schiavo to the "war on Christmas" and the "Obama = Osama" baloney and now their lashing out at anyone who fails a certain litmus test (or who happen to live in certain zip codes) as un-American, it just shows how utterly despicable they've become.

I hope the GOP loses big-time this season. Not because I want undivided government, but because I think nothing short of an utter rout will teach the GOP to go back to its roots of limited government (both fiscal AND getting government out of peoples' private lives). Our country would be healthier if the GOP was what it once was.

Edited by Liam

I can understand why people are conservative from a fiscal standpoint (I tend to think of myself that way -- I'd prefer private sector solutions to certain problems, not all, but certain ones), but what kills the GOP for me each and every time is the social conservative wing of the party.

The answer is: Hollwood. By that I mean, decades of cultural degeneracy, the abuse of freedoms, an insistence on "anything goes", incessant attacks on common decency by the media, and the whoredom of youth gave rise to a conservative backlash. Fueled by the indignation of religious leaders in the bible belt, the Jerry Falwells and the John Hagees. In a sense, the liberals created Bush.

I hope the GOP loses big-time this season. Not because I want undivided government, but because I think nothing short of an utter rout will teach the GOP to go back to its roots of limited government (both fiscal AND getting government out of peoples' private lives). Our country would be healthier if the GOP was what it once was.

I couldn't agree more. Some people fret over the "narrowing" of the party. There is no narrowing of the party. When you take all of the campaign fundamentals into account, this year was/is going to be a tough year for Republicans regardless. And McCain/Palin being on average 5-6 points back is somewhat incredible, considering all the advantages the Democrats have right now. The sooner the Dems are in power, the sooner the Republicans will gain back seats in Congress and eventually the White House. Despite what happens on Nov 4th, 2010 will be a year the political tables are turned. It's going to be fun, and even more fun a couple years from then, when Sarah is back on the scene. (assuming that she's not VP).

I can understand why people are conservative from a fiscal standpoint (I tend to think of myself that way -- I'd prefer private sector solutions to certain problems, not all, but certain ones), but what kills the GOP for me each and every time is the social conservative wing of the party. From gay marriage amendments to Terri Schiavo to the "war on Christmas" and the "Obama = Osama" baloney and now their lashing out at anyone who fails a certain litmus test (or who happen to live in certain zip codes) as un-American, it just shows how utterly despicable they've become.

The problem is that social conservatives are motivated by emotion and superstition. As long as their chosen candidate waxes on eloquently about how God came in and changed his life, and sent him out on his crusade against sin, immorality and the ungodly -- the rank and file religious right Republican will eat it up and vote for him even when he bankrupts the country by engaging in needless, expensive foreign wars and rewards his corporate benefactors with government contracts and financial bailouts! And I don't think it is any coincidence in this country that our Conservative Party under Stephen Harper has started playing to this crowd also.

The fiscal conservatives and libertarians are unreliable supporters because they are looking for tangible benefits, not treasures being stored up in the hereafter. Since the religious right are the bitter-enders, they are going to be the only ones left in the Republican Party; so it's not likely that the moderates will regain their former status in the Party, even if they are completely routed on election day.