what happens to parties in the event of a tory majority

blueblood

I'm curious as to what will happen to the ndp if the tories get a majority. They will essentially be back to where they were in 93, powerless. How is the NDP going to stop harper if harper has a majority. I think the ndp has been somewhat relevant due to the nature of a minority parliament where they had some power. If it's a majority gov't, where is their power? where is their relevence?

it would have to be a coalition, a repeat of how the Reform, er, Harper Party managed to usurp Parliament; a majority of left-of-center would have to agree on one leadership.... Elizabeth May is so far above this left-right divide so Jack wins half the spectrum if Gerrard will admit he was wrong.

The Tories are moving more to the centre, making the Liberals irrelevant. Could this lead to a NDP/Liberal coalition - probably not the NDP are definitely more scarier than Harper was ever made out to be.

http://www.thestar.com/FederalElection/article/505531

Why all this talk of the tories moving to the center? Harper himself have said they are moving to the right. If Harper is successful to destroy the Liberal party as he is attempting some other party will fill the void. Perhaps the old Progressive Conservatives will reappear. The Conservative far right tendencies will end up making them a fringe party in the long term. A lot of the votes they are getting now are because of the Liberal scandal under Chretien. The vast majority of Canadians are center or slightly right of center. They will not tolerate any movement too the far right. Canadians have seen how well a right wing government has worked in the states. Political fortunes could be changing in a hurry. There are already companies filing for bankruptcy protection because of what is going on in the states. The Conservatives should have stuck with Joe Clark or Jean charest. The leader they have in their now will in the long term destroy the party.

Good question but a better one is what would happen to the country? Our flag would turn blue as Harper wants all of Canada conservative and then he go and get rid of the senate, he'd probably let Quebec go and separate and Alberta too and then he turn to the NAU and start the ball rolling. Lets not forget the military, they get more equipment and keep the soldiers busy going from one war to another. BTW, did the Cons take any money out of CPP to invest in the stock market? I remember them talking about but don't know if they did it.

The Conservative far right tendencies will end up making them a fringe party in the long term.

This will not happen. The Conservatives are positioning themselves to appeal to the largest number of Canadians possible. They are well aware of the limits Canadians will impose on them.

A lot of the votes they are getting now are because of the Liberal scandal under Chretien.

It is much more than about Adscam.

The vast majority of Canadians are center or slightly right of center. They will not tolerate any movement too the far right.

This is very true.

Canadians have seen how well a right wing government has worked in the states.

Careful. Your wording here could be seen as contradictory to the position you have taken.

The leader they have in their now will in the long term destroy the party.

The misfortunes of the Liberal Party started before Dion arrived on the scene. How else would you explain Martin losing the 2004 elections? But I agree the last thing the Liberals needed was the hapless Mr. Dion as their leader.

Good question but a better one is what would happen to the country? Our flag would turn blue as Harper wants all of Canada conservative and then he go and get rid of the senate, he'd probably let Quebec go and separate and Alberta too and then he turn to the NAU and start the ball rolling.

He would also pass a law forcing all Canadian households to own a cat. He loves cats that much. :rolleyes:

Lets not forget the military, they get more equipment and keep the soldiers busy going from one war to another.

A marauding Canadian military. Is there no end?

BTW, did the Cons take any money out of CPP to invest in the stock market? I remember them talking about but don't know if they did it.

Topaz, you obviously haven't got a clue about how the CPP is funded and managed. If this is a concern to you why don't you research it? If you find a scathing indictment of the Conservative Party being reckless with the CPP, I would be interested to know.

Edited by capricorn

"Careful. Your wording here could be seen as contradictory to the position you have taken."

You know I was be sarcastic because the right wing government in the states is failing miserably

The misfortunes of the Liberal Party started with the Adscam. Martin lost because of Adscam.

The Conservatives destroyed the Progressive Conservatives because they were not to the right enough. Now they are trying to destroy the Liberal who are central to rigth center. Now after all that they are going to be happy being what the Progressive Conservatives were. That makes no sense. The conservatives will try too move too the right and when they do they will become a fringe party. Someone will fill the void.

Edited by independent

This will not happen. The Conservatives are positioning themselves to appeal to the largest number of Canadians possible.

By cutting funding to arts, culture, womans programs, doing nothing about poverty or the environment, and at the same time giving tax breaks to coroprations and making life easy for the eletes? Buddy, there's a reason why 60 to 65% of Canadians DON'T support the Cons and vote for left-of-center parties instead.

By cutting funding to arts, culture, womans programs, doing nothing about poverty or the environment, and at the same time giving tax breaks to coroprations and making life easy for the eletes? Buddy, there's a reason why 60 to 65% of Canadians DON'T support the Cons and vote for left-of-center parties instead.

And there's a reason why 75% of Canadians don't support the NDP and why 75% of Canadians don't support the Liberals.

He would also pass a law forcing all Canadian households to own a cat. He loves cats that much. :rolleyes:

A marauding Canadian military. Is there no end?

Topaz, you obviously haven't got a clue about how the CPP is funded and managed. If this is a concern to you why don't you research it? If you find a scathing indictment of the Conservative Party being reckless with the CPP, I would be interested to know.

Capricorn, I did research and couldn't FIND anything on it and that is WHY I asked. I remember in question period when Harper first was elected someone asked the question. It wasn't an attack on Harper it was a question being asked to see if anyone knew and by your answer you don't.

I'm curious as to what will happen to the ndp if the tories get a majority. They will essentially be back to where they were in 93, powerless. How is the NDP going to stop harper if harper has a majority. I think the ndp has been somewhat relevant due to the nature of a minority parliament where they had some power. If it's a majority gov't, where is their power? where is their relevence?

I'll tell what will happen the NDP and Liberal party will go bye..bye.....and Harper will make this country strong with a good military and tough crime bill..........the Liberal can go back to singing "we are the world" and holding hands with flowers in their hair blowing kisses at the terrorists feeling sorry for them.................while the Harper is protecting us from them and wiping them out in Afghanistan!

By cutting funding to arts, culture, womans programs, doing nothing about poverty or the environment, and at the same time giving tax breaks to coroprations and making life easy for the elites? Buddy, there's a reason why 60 to 65% of Canadians DON'T support the Cons and vote for left-of-center parties instead.

Hooeh to that.

And there's a reason why 75% of Canadians don't support the NDP and why 75% of Canadians don't support the Liberals.

Yea, because 63.857% of statistics are made-up on the spot. :P

AnythingButConservative.ca

Edited by Radsickle

A country in which values like integrity and trust actually mean something.

99.9% of politicians are already discounted.

If you want this in a country, the first thing you should do is abolish government entirely, or make it so minimal that politicians can't fuck it up.

The Tories are moving more to the centre, making the Liberals irrelevant.

So you're saying that the Conservative Party's platforms now resemble the old Liberal Party... yet you hated the LPC and love the CPC...

Does that mean CPC supporters don't give a hoot about what their party does as long as they see a "conservative" in the party name, or maybe you're all (gasp), closet liberals? :lol:

Could happen, especially if we all press for proportional representation instead of this silly horse race Luddites still rely on.

I wouldn't mind that. Personally I find that most parties are now moving to the centre which makes it hard to find a half decent party to support. I support the CPC only because they generally share the closest positions I do, however I wish they were more liberal on victimless crimes.

Does that mean CPC supporters don't give a hoot about what their party does as long as they see a "conservative" in the party name, or maybe you're all (gasp), closet liberals?

No the CPC is still centre-right, but the Liberals are moving farther and farther to the left.

No the CPC is still centre-right, but the Liberals are moving farther and farther to the left.

Let's try that again, pay attention to the bolded parts, k?

So you're saying that the Conservative Party's platforms now resemble the old Liberal Party... yet you hated the LPC and love the CPC...

Does that mean CPC supporters don't give a hoot about what their party does as long as they see a "conservative" in the party name, or maybe you're all (gasp), closet liberals? :lol:

No their are still obvious policy differences, whether it be on crime, trade, the military, or taxes.

Outside of that making specific policy references based soley on the old political spectrum doesn't truly give you an idea of where the party stands on issues.