The meaning of Stonehenge

White Doors

Scientists appear to have a theory of what stonehenge was for.. Apparently for healing purposes.

Also, they have a new date of original construction, 2300 BC (younger than first thought) around the time of the first pyramids in Egypt.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Science/2008/0...6842791-ap.html

also - would be nice to have a history/archaeology subforum, I wasn't sure where to put this.

Edited by White Doors

Interesting, does that mean that they no longer consider it to be for astronomical purposes? They did find the holes in the lintle stones that enable rods to be inserted which then align perfectly with various stars at given times of the year. Possibly it served more than one purpose.

I've been to Stonehenge, it may just be a collection of very old and large stones but it exudes a certain aura or power. Hard to say why or what it is but it was almost tangible. Or maybe I was just awe struck when I finally got to see it. I've seen the Pyramids but they just didn't have the same effect on me.

also - would be nice to have a history/archaeology subforum, I wasn't sure where to put this.

I agree, after all the study of both helps us to understand the forces that have shaped our world and our Political/Social systems.

Edited by AngusThermopyle

Scientists appear to have a theory of what stonehenge was for.. Apparently for healing purposes.

Also, they have a new date of original construction, 2300 BC (younger than first thought) around the time of the first pyramids in Egypt.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Science/2008/0...6842791-ap.html

Some say Stonehenge is a pussy made of stones, others - that it's an interdimentional portal...

I used to just love that whole area (Salisbury Plain). Old Sarum, Silsbury Hill (before it was off limits), Windmill Hill, Avebury Circle, etc. I remember watching some tourists taking rocks from around Stonehenge and thinking 'this won't last'...back then you could just park close and walk over. It didn't, of course......last.

Up in Lancashire, there was another fun historical gem...an old Roman fort at the top of Hardknott Pass (1 in 3 gradient!). We roared up there in the ol' Vauxhall...many a car broke down attempting the climb. YouTube has some good vids of cars climbing the pass. Type 'Hardknott Pass'...should get you there.

----------------------------------------------------

Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl, but, she doesn't have a lot to say...

---The Beatles

For all we know Stonehenge was some sort of prehistoric particle collider.

The thing that always gets me about these things, especially pyramids, is how the people who dreamt these things up ever managed to convince everyone else it was a good idea to build them. I wonder how many more never got off the ground because everyone would laugh at the notion and simply medicate the poor deluded fools who had them instead?

As for these being cultural forces that helped shape our world's political social, and especially our economic systems, I'd say there's still many a sucker being born every minute.

Edited by eyeball

As for these being cultural forces that helped shape our world's political social, and especially our economic systems, I'd say there's still many a sucker being born every minute.

What are you talking about? This is what was said, followed by what I said. Nothing about the Pyramids or Stonehenge shaping our culture.

I agree, after all the study of both helps us to understand the forces that have shaped our world and our Political/Social systems.

What are you talking about? This is what was said, followed by what I said. Nothing about the Pyramids or Stonehenge shaping our culture.

History and archeology don't shape our culture to the extent the things they study do, like the fantastic architecture that represented and reflected some ancient and decidedly fantastic notions. If there is one single thing that has shaped cultures throughout history its supernatural notions.

The capacity for believing in them has probably only been enhanced by things like Stonehenge. I bet more people show up to celebrate supernatural beliefs associated with Stonehenge today than they ever did in the past.

History and archeology don't shape our culture to the extent the things they study do, like the fantastic architecture that represented and reflected some ancient and decidedly fantastic notions. If there is one single thing that has shaped cultures throughout history its supernatural notions.

The capacity for believing in them has probably only been enhanced by things like Stonehenge. I bet more people show up to celebrate supernatural beliefs associated with Stonehenge today than they ever did in the past.

Do you have a point or are you just practising your typing skills?

• 4 weeks later...
No, I think he merely wants to point out that the post in question had a lot of words but essentially didn't say anything much at all.

There are a number of theories on stone henges use... some known ones are, as a landscape feature, as a burial site, most likely as a sacred site, and as a tourist attraction. It makes sense it may have been a trade center. But where is the evidence of this? Also the reverberation of facing of voice..

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/31/news/dig.php

I've been to Stonehenge, it may just be a collection of very old and large stones but it exudes a certain aura or power. Hard to say why or what it is but it was almost tangible. Or maybe I was just awe struck when I finally got to see it. I've seen the Pyramids but they just didn't have the same effect on me.

I have been to Stonehenge too and I know just what you are saying about it having a certain aura. I did not expect to experience that. Awe is what I experienced upon my visit to the Tower of London and West Minster Abby etc. I got a completely different feeling at Stonehenge. Hard to explain.

I have been to Stonehenge too and I know just what you are saying about it having a certain aura. I did not expect to experience that. Awe is what I experienced upon my visit to the Tower of London and West Minster Abby etc. I got a completely different feeling at Stonehenge. Hard to explain.

I always thought Spinal Tap had answered these questions back in the 80's...

• 1 month later...

Heard it was going to end in 2007? :blink: Maybe it did and we just didn't notice it. Could have traveled into a parallel - I just hope the other me is not giving anyone any grief. A henge is a pile of rocks that you put in a pattern then pretend it has magical power - They are just big and ancient adult toys.