Landed immigrants seek vote

In the news the past couple days... Landed immigrants are seeking to vote in municipal elections.

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/497177

Personally I think that any voting for any level of government should be only after they waited their 3 years and became Canadian... they should show at least some commitment to Canada before being given the right to vote.

I also don't think dual-citizenship should be allowed... therefore showing true commitment... but that is a whole other topic.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
Personally I think that any voting for any level of government should be only after they waited their 3 years and became Canadian... they should show at least some commitment to Canada before being given the right to vote.

I also don't think dual-citizenship should be allowed... therefore showing true commitment... but that is a whole other topic.

I agree, Canadian citizenship isn't taken seriously enough by some people

As long as they're from Earth, what's the big deal? That said and given how many indigenous Earthlings couldn't be bothered to use their vote in Canada we might as well let someone else put it to good use.

If you think voting is so unimportant then perhaps you ought to forego yours.

In the news the past couple days... Landed immigrants are seeking to vote in municipal elections.

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/497177

A citizen is a citizen is a citizen.

There are too many issues with the electoral system to mention - however the basic premise is...

if you are a permanent resident you can vote in provincial elections

The catch to all this is that you need to "live somewhere"

Which is messed up because no everyone lives at a residential address.

I personally thing only Canaidan citizens should be able to vote in Canadian elections

Frankly once again I beleive the same for provincial and municipal because all have law making powers in form of provincial laws and municipal bylaws.

So actually I sort of agree on this one

but I think perhaps a secondary representative called the "NON CITIZENS REPRESENTATIVES" perhaps could be elected by permanenet residents, refugees etc.. this person(s) would represent them in the legislature.

As long as they're from Earth, what's the big deal? That said and given how many indigenous Earthlings couldn't be bothered to use their vote in Canada we might as well let someone else put it to good use.

Mot intending any insult I feel I must point out that this is one of the more ridiculous things I've heard. You always seem to fall back on the "we're all Earthlings" thing never realizing just how invalid a premise this is in the given context.

I know from your previous posts on various subjects that you are what I think of as a science fiction fan "light", however even though many of the ideas that are postulated in science fiction have some validity they are still the result of fiction and not a tangible reality.

It's my belief that they should reside in Canada for a minimum of three years before being given the privilege of voting. Any lesser period of time and one could not be assured of their ability to make an informed vote. It takes time to learn about a new society and come to understand the underlying intricacies that are a part of its functioning. The alternative would imply uninformed votes that are used purely for partisan reasons or to further a specific agenda not shared by all, or even very many for that matter.

If you want a science fiction slant on the question then personally I take my cue from a science fiction writer who had a firm grasp of society and reality, Robert A Heinlein. His idea was that one should have to pass a test demonstrating knowledge of the issues at hand in order to vote. Not as warm and fuzzy as the slop Star Treck dishes out but far more grounded in reality.

It's my belief that they should reside in Canada for a minimum of three years before being given the privilege of voting. Any lesser period of time and one could not be assured of their ability to make an informed vote. It takes time to learn about a new society and come to understand the underlying intricacies that are a part of its functioning. The alternative would imply uninformed votes that are used purely for partisan reasons or to further a specific agenda not shared by all, or even very many for that matter.

Dont forget we are talking about municipal elections only.

I honestly cant think of why not allowing them, apart from the "thin edge of the wedge" part should some try to expand this to Fed or Prov elections.

Muni elections are only involving local issues that direct them the most. That they pay the muni taxes etc means they should have something to say about it.

I know I know, it is in some degree hypocritical, and I am certainly not advocating they be allowed to vote federally , it s just that i cant see the harm in a local election.

Robert A Heinlein. His idea was that one should have to pass a test demonstrating knowledge of the issues at hand in order to vote.

I suspect those that do have a handle on the knowledge would be the voters. The rest stay home, be it from rain or whathaveyou.

Muni elections are notoriously low turn outs, and seeing how those who are eligible abducate that responsibility, then hell, why not give it to those that want it?

Any lesser period of time and one could not be assured of their ability to make an informed vote. It takes time to learn about a new society and come to understand the underlying intricacies that are a part of its functioning.

How are you assured that citizenship confers the ability to make an informed vote? Perhaps a more viable test of suitability to vote is not citizenship, but a test of the level of ability to make an informed vote. Even a non-citizen resident can be informed enough in a short period of time if they are motivated. Even a long-time citizen can be ill-informed.

Perhaps a more viable test of suitability to vote is not citizenship, but a test of the level of ability to make an informed vote. Even a non-citizen resident can be informed enough in a short period of time if they are motivated. Even a long-time citizen can be ill-informed.

Now you have me confused.

I guess you didn't read the rest of my post where I mentioned the idea of having to pass a test in order to be eligible to vote, or you chose to ignore it. Well, which is it?

Or are you just quote mining, a very dishonest form of debate.

Now you have me confused.

I guess you didn't read the rest of my post where I mentioned the idea of having to pass a test in order to be eligible to vote, or you chose to ignore it. Well, which is it?

Or are you just quote mining, a very dishonest form of debate.

No you're right. I missed that part of the post. However your post isn't clear if you think that a test would be an alternative to citizenship or as an added requirement.

You can't have a guy come into your house and tell you what to do - it's that simple. People say that having children is a privledge. Thats' a crock of crap...It is a human right like eating - reproduction is not a privledge...it is your right to survival. When you become part of a human family such as a nation - THEN your are a citizen and your body is now joined to the corporate - NOW you have the right because you are fully part of that body. It is a privledge to enter Canada - not a right - It is a right to vote............once assimulated - and are titled citizen.

You can't have a guy come into your house and tell you what to do - it's that simple. People say that having children is a privledge. Thats' a crock of crap...It is a human right like eating - reproduction is not a privledge...it is your right to survival. When you become part of a human family such as a nation - THEN your are a citizen and your body is now joined to the corporate - NOW you have the right because you are fully part of that body. It is a privledge to enter Canada - not a right - It is a right to vote............once assimulated - and are titled citizen.

Many welfare people should not have kids at all. If they cannot afford to raise them perhaps they should be sterilized. Why should the taxpayers pick up the tab for welfare moms?

The answer is to ship Mr Immigrant of Seniority--Opps I mean Mr Canada back to Europe :lol:

Americans have the same problem dealing with the dumped off slaves in Califorinia and Arizona. Some of these Mexicans now demand under the American constitution that they should have full power to vote in a nation that is not their nation....I can just hear the phone call now.....Fox - " we are rich enough..do you mind if we send our used up slave up to you - they can cut your grass and wash your toilets at minimum cost" George answers "send them up Vince" - no one looked or cared at the social upheavel and internal displacement of the local inhabitants..This was a greedy move - and insensitive to the people. Now - to have voting privledges given to non citizens is absurd. May as well toss our arms up in the air and give up personal and political sovereinty and say - come on in and disrupt the place.................one mafia calls the other and no one notices?