The Green Shift versus the Blue Shaft

HisSelf

Danny Williams has an ABC campaign on in Newfoundland. ABC stands for Anybody But Conservative.

Anyways, the Puffin is a bird native to Newfoundland, and Williams was incensed that it was used in another dumb-ass Conservative attack ad - a puffin flying past a shoulder-shrugging Dion and dropping a load on his shoulder (remember the ad that made fun of Chretien's facial features?). Of course the Conservatives, who told us all about accountability before the last election, blamed it all on an over-enthusiastic junior staffer/web designer/janitor hrrumph hrrumph....

Williams got up on stage and had someone in a puffin costume come marching across carrying an ABC sign. He spoke about the green shift being better than the blue shaft.

I thought it was hilarious.

Danny Williams has an ABC campaign on in Newfoundland. ABC stands for Anybody But Conservative.

Anyways, the Puffin is a bird native to Newfoundland, and Williams was incensed that it was used in another dumb-ass Conservative attack ad - a puffin flying past a shoulder-shrugging Dion and dropping a load on his shoulder (remember the ad that made fun of Chretien's facial features?). Of course the Conservatives, who told us all about accountability before the last election, blamed it all on an over-enthusiastic junior staffer/web designer/janitor hrrumph hrrumph....

Williams got up on stage and had someone in a puffin costume come marching across carrying an ABC sign. He spoke about the green shift being better than the blue shaft.

I thought it was hilarious.

I wonder if he would for PM? I think seriously of voting for him.

I wonder if he would for PM? I think seriously of voting for him.

Williams is an ass, a bombastic blowhard typical of the corrupt personality politics of the island. His main persona on the national stage is as an outraged whore who wasn't given enough money for services he never performed. He is a liberal through and through, so I'm not surprised you'd be interested in voting for him.

Which is incredibly ironic since Newfoundland's prosperilty is inextricably linked to fossil fuel exploitation.

Fossil fuel exploration and use won't stop and probably won't even slow down as a result of the green shift ( which won't happen anyway because Mr. Dion is about to be shown the door by voters).

Fossil fuel exploration and use won't stop and probably won't even slow down as a result of the green shift ( which won't happen anyway because Mr. Dion is about to be shown the door by voters).
Want many people forget is many of the new oil reserves are expensive to exploit an an increase in costs can put a freeze on exploration and development - even with high oil prices.

Want many people forget is many of the new oil reserves are expensive to exploit an an increase in costs can put a freeze on exploration and development - even with high oil prices.

Well the increase in oil prices really would offset any costs of exploration. That's really not the point though.

Williams is a cranky PROGRESSIVE conservative who is still crying that the federal conservatives won't pretend the province isn't earning any money from oil and gas drilling when calculating the equalization payments.

In short, Williams is fussing because the Conservatives won't allow him and his province more than their fair share. Put a soother in his mouth and a rattle in his hand and you couldn't have a more fitting image.

The monies were promised to Newfoundland without any strings attached. And the fact of the matter is that Harper broke his promise which cheated Newfoundland out of billions of dollars. And that goes to the heart of the matter; Harper broke his promise to the Newfoundland govt. and the Newfoundland people who elected the govt.

Well the increase in oil prices really would offset any costs of exploration. That's really not the point though.

Williams is a cranky PROGRESSIVE conservative who is still crying that the federal conservatives won't pretend the province isn't earning any money from oil and gas drilling when calculating the equalization payments.

In short, Williams is fussing because the Conservatives won't allow him and his province more than their fair share. Put a soother in his mouth and a rattle in his hand and you couldn't have a more fitting image.

Edited by Rovik

Want many people forget is many of the new oil reserves are expensive to exploit

Yes, they are. There isn't much cheap oil left. Because of this, they will not be shying away from any reserves they can get their hands on as long as they can make a profit. The carbon tax shouldn't keep them from making a promise.

This just in, folks. Harper mosies on over to the Rock. Questionned about the ABC campaign of Danny Williams, Harper says on National TV... Mr. Williams is very popular. Mr. Williams has his own style. He didn't like the last government either, Mr. Williams is an effective leader... splutter, whiz, blurp....

LOL.

I'll bet there are a lot of companies founded on the investment trust principal who would love to hire Mr. Williams as their front man. Many of them are in Alberta. And on Bay Street.

Maybe Harper is starting to realize he just might be in over his head...

"We won't get a majority. We'll only get a minority."

What a poser.

The monies were promised to Newfoundland without any strings attached. And the fact of the matter is that Harper broke his promise which cheated Newfoundland out of billions of dollars. And that goes to the heart of the matter; Harper broke his promise to the Newfoundland govt. and the Newfoundland people who elected the govt.

Even if the promise was made exactly the way Williams claims, Harper would have had a simple choice. Please Danny Williams and have the rest of Canada refuse to vote for him!

As an Ontarioan I am particularly disgusted with the greed of Danny Williams and feel like a chump for all the taxes I paid to give Newfoundland all those equalization payments.

If Harper had caved on this issue I would have had a very difficult time voting for Harper.

I think Danny boy is kinda dumb if he expected Harper to commit political suicide just for him!

Well then, if he was aware of the consequences; why did he give the promise in the first place? If I can recall correctly, the promise was made just before the last election and that was not the only onehe broke..the Conservatives also promised to build up the base at Goose Bay within 24 months...well it hasn't happened, yet the Conservatives have recently promised extra monies for the base at Trenton.

I can't really trust any promises they make this election considering their poor track record last election.

Even if the promise was made exactly the way Williams claims, Harper would have had a simple choice. Please Danny Williams and have the rest of Canada refuse to vote for him!

As an Ontarioan I am particularly disgusted with the greed of Danny Williams and feel like a chump for all the taxes I paid to give Newfoundland all those equalization payments.

If Harper had caved on this issue I would have had a very difficult time voting for Harper.

I think Danny boy is kinda dumb if he expected Harper to commit political suicide just for him!

The Atlantic Accord as it was originally offered was never taken off the table. What changed was the new equalization deal that was arranged in 2007 actually a offered more balanced deal to all the provinces. Specifically because he has a previous promise to the Atlantic provinces, Harper gave them the opportunity to choose to either take the original deal or to opt into the new one instead.

So what was the broken promise then?

Reports are coming out of strong arm tactics on Williams' part to intimidate Conservative supporters. Here is a video of Robert Fife's CTV report. He says he spoke to the people directly and some are truly afraid to get involved in the political process due to threats of repercussions.

http://watch.ctv.ca/news/election-2008/fig...r-nl/#clip92376

It certainly looks like Williams is taking this vindictiveness against Harper too far. This situation may escalate as the election campaign unfolds.

The monies were promised to Newfoundland without any strings attached. And the fact of the matter is that Harper broke his promise which cheated Newfoundland out of billions of dollars.

I don't think he did break his promise. I think he broke what Williams believes, or says he believes is the proper interpretation of his promise.

I hope he does move to the federal sphere. Canada could use someone who has guts. I would consider him a serious contender for PM.

Sooo, to you, a person demonstrates that they have "guts" by sulking and whining that the other kids got a better deal than him, and being bitter about it for years afterwards, snarling and yelling and raging about like a spoiled child. Have I got that right?

Do you even know what Harper promised or how he may or might not have violated that promise? I'm guessing uh, NO.

And by the way, any hope Williams might have had of jumping to federal politics dropped into the shitter the moment he started ranting about Canada and ordered the Canadian flags taken down in Newfoundland.

Edited by Argus

And by the way, any hope Williams might have had of jumping to federal politics dropped into the shitter the moment he started ranting about Canada and ordered the Canadian flags taken down in Newfoundland.

Williams said this is his last term. He can't leave too soon for me. We don't need Mugabe-style politics in Canada.