Non-muslims barred from swimming lessons in British leisure center

It would be interesting to know if the staff member was a Muslim.

EDIT:

The re-copied article was DELETED by the moderator. The quoted text in the Opening Post was different from the linked text.

The title was changed to Non-muslims barred from swimming lessons in British leisure center to be more informative of the subject matter. The original ambiguous title was Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile.

Edited by Charles Anthony

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't say for sure whether you are for this or against this since you only graced us with a C/P....

...but in any case it nseems that the decision is in error.

But a leisure centre spokesman said staff were out of order to refuse people entry for being non-Muslim.

He said: "The member of staff the user spoke with at the time was mistaken when referring to the session as Muslim only.

"The men's modesty session is not a private hire and is, therefore, open to the public. Muslim men and others can attend.

"Staff cannot ask your religion on entrance and you won't be refused entry if you don't appear to be Muslim."

A spokesman for Hackney Council said: "None of Hackney's leisure centres have religiously segregated swimming sessions in their public timetables.

"In common with most public swimming facilities, there are single sex sessions, and this session was men only.

"The member of staff in this situation made a mistake... Hackney Council would wish to apologise to any member of the public who was given incorrect information."

I am not religious, but there have been numerous incidents reported where Muslims have taken over communal prayer rooms at airports and universities and refused entry to other faiths.

But that's not what happened here. Even if there were 1000 Muslim men there, the pool was supposed to be open to all.

Imagine the outcry from the Muslim community had the "modesty session" been for Anglicans only. A separate session for men, women, or children is understandable; however, considering this is a publicly funded amenity discrimination on the grounds of religion is illegal. Had someone prevented a Muslim from entering the pool they probably would have been held accountable.

Edited by WarBicycle

Imagine the outcry from the Muslim community had the "modesty session" been for Anglicans only. A separate session for men, women, or children is understandable; however, considering this is a publicly funded amenity discrimination on the grounds of religion is illegal. Had someone prevented a Muslim from entering the pool they probably would have been held accountable.

I imagine the clerk will be held accountable.

UK Muslim Airport Porters Refuse to Handle Israeli Luggage

The above link is another example of Muslims using their religion to take advantage of a situation; they've also refused to allow seeing eye dogs into their cabs, refused passengers carrying alcohol, and refused to handle alcohol at grocery checkouts.

UK Muslim Airport Porters Refuse to Handle Israeli Luggage

The above link is another example of Muslims using their religion to take advantage of a situation; they've also refused to allow seeing eye dogs into their cabs, refused passengers carrying alcohol, and refused to handle alcohol at grocery checkouts.

No, WB, it isn't another example, because your first example was of a clerical error, not a Muslim plot. :ph34r:

But I have a hard time believing a story that starts out...

This outrageous story from e-mailer Beryl Dean has been verified and is absolutely true:

and then continues on to explain how the emailer's friend went to an airport and there were no porters around and a stranger gave her an explanation based on racism and therefore all Muslims are bad!

From the bio of the author of the article:

As both an attorney and a frequent New York Post and Jerusalem Post columnist, Schlussel's writings/commentary on radical Islam and her legal actions against radical Islamic parties have gotten a great deal of attention -- and results.

Sounds like she has an agenda.

Guest American Woman
This outrageous story from e-mailer Beryl Dean has been verified and is absolutely true:

What exactly is "absolutely true?" That the woman mentioned in the incident told her friend what she did? That the man told the woman that the porters are Muslim and wouldn't handle Israeli's luggage? Neither one of those "truths" proves that the claim about Muslims/porters is true.

Furthermore, it doesn't say how the incident was "verified." Was the woman's word all that was sought to verify it, or has British Air and/or Heathrow verified it?

I have a hard time believing that every porter who works for British Air is a Muslim. I also find it very difficult to believe that no other Israelis who have flown British Air have complained about this, yet this is the only story on the internet about about porters for British Air refusing to help Israelis. Seems to me if this were the case, if all Israelis flying into Heathrow on British Air were refused service by Muslim porters because of their nationality, we'd have heard about it.

Guest American Woman
I have been to Heathrow twice in the past two years, just like the Toronto airport, a large percentage of its workforce is Southeast Asian. I doubt the story is untrue.

Well, then. Since you doubt the story is untrue, guess that clinches it. ;)

There's a huge difference between "a large percentage of [Heathrow's] workforce [being] Southeast Asian and "all porters being Muslim." Your observation also provides nothing regarding any proof of the claim that was made. Fact is, your observation sort of makes this claim even more unbelievable. If there are so many Muslims working in Heathrow and Toronto and they are all refusing service to Israelis, seems to me that would be big news--- at least on the internet. Yet here we are with only one story; one example; one complaint.

Here's another example of radical Islam in the workplace. Yet another example here.

Wow. Two more examples of "radical Islam" involving a total of two Muslim employees. And of course one couldn't find similar examples regarding any other religion and/or people in the workforce if one were to scour the internet for such information, eh? :rolleyes:

But just curious-- what do you think of minors who work as cashiers but can't scan alcohol because of their age? Do you think all minors should be refused such jobs? Do you think they present a huge problem in the work force?

Well, then. Since you doubt the story is untrue, guess that clinches it. ;)

There's a huge difference between "a large percentage of [Heathrow's] workforce [being] Southeast Asian and "all porters being Muslim." Your observation also provides nothing regarding any proof of the claim that was made. Fact is, your observation sort of makes this claim even more unbelievable. If there are so many Muslims working in Heathrow and Toronto and they are all refusing service to Israelis, seems to me that would be big news--- at least on the internet. Yet here we are with only one story; one example; one complaint.

Wow. Two more examples of "radical Islam" involving a total of two Muslim employees. And of course one couldn't find similar examples regarding any other religion and/or people in the workforce if one were to scour the internet for such information, eh? :rolleyes:

But just curious-- what do you think of minors who work as cashiers but can't scan alcohol because of their age? Do you think all minors should be refused such jobs? Do you think they present a huge problem in the work force?

Alcohol is a provincial jurisdiction, I've lived in four Canadian provinces and not one would permit a minor working where alcohol is being sold or served.

Alcohol is a provincial jurisdiction, I've lived in four Canadian provinces and not one would permit a minor working where alcohol is being sold or served.

Not true. Ontario and Quebec allows bussers to work at 16 in places that serve liquer

Guest American Woman

Minors work in stores where alcohol is sold in the States, and someone else has to be called to scan it. So my questions stands.

It would be interesting to know if the staff member was a Muslim.

This nonesense has come to Canada (link to article, excerpted below):

In the mid-1990s, the southern Alberta community of Brooks looked like much of small-town Canada - white and Christian. Today, thanks to the voracious labour needs of one local employer - the giant Lakeside meat-packing plant - it's one of the most diverse centres in the country: 25 per cent of its 12,000 residents are visible minorities, representing every nation in Africa and speaking 76 different languages. Mayor Don Weisbeck makes it clear that Brooks is proud of its changing face. But such massive change doesn't happen smoothly. Some locals have groused about the accommodations, including curtains at the community pool so Muslim women can swim without worrying about the gaze of men.

Guest American Woman
Muslim women cover their faces for a reason, I haven't seen many Pakistani women worthy of my gaze. :ph34r:

I take it from your juvenile non-answer that it's only a problem in the workplace when another employee has to be called to do a scan for a Muslim. <_<