Views on NAFTA

Topaz

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what will this Conservative government do if Clinton or Obama get the Presidency and want to retalk certain items in the Free Trade agreeement??? Isn't Emerson retiring in the next election?

They would be forced to do exactly the same thing as if the Liberals or the NDP were in power.

The would be forced to renogotiate.

I think the whole matter is hilarious....first we have some Canadians who torture PM Mulroney regularly for negotiating FTA/NAFTA in the first place, and now they are staunch defenders of the status quo. Opting out was an oft repeated threat for Canada during 20 years of the softwood lumber conflict, but when two American politicians attack NAFTA for domestic political gain, the economic switchboard lights up in Canada.

More fun opinions from Canada here:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...80227?hub=World

Opting out was an oft repeated threat for Canada during 20 years of the softwood lumber conflict, but when two American politicians attack NAFTA for domestic political gain, the economic switchboard lights up in Canada.

You think everything is hilarious when you continually flaunt U.S. world domination but fail to recognize when the U.S. is threatened it pulls out that corrupt ace out of its sleeve to regain any lost economic or political advantage, just like it did with Kosovo.

Question here:

How many feel that the European Union is a good thing?

I think that most of the liberal thinking crowd here would feel it a step in the right direction.

What are the arguments in favour?

Now, how many feel a North American union would be a good thing?

I think that most of the Canadian liberal thinking crowd would feel it a step in the wrong direction.

Question here:

How many feel that the European Union is a good thing?

I think that most of the liberal thinking crowd here would feel it a step in the right direction.

What are the arguments in favour?

Now, how many feel a North American union would be a good thing?

I think that most of the Canadian liberal thinking crowd would feel it a step in the wrong direction.

Is the European Union not starting to self destruct with major grumblings over dumping the Euro for national currencies from countries like Italy and France and Britain?

I think the North American union is a must because without the U.S., Canada and Mexico are economically unsustainable.

So if the ship sinks at least we all go down together.

You think everything is hilarious when you continually flaunt U.S. world domination but fail to recognize when the U.S. is threatened it pulls out that corrupt ace out of its sleeve to regain any lost economic or political advantage, just like it did with Kosovo.

Nonsense....NAFTA was negotiated in the early 90's as a follow-up to the FTA. Canada's economy was a basket case headed for oblivion. You want access to the world's biggest market...then dance to the music. How the hell do you think economic "world domination" came about in the first place?

If the Democrats want to whip some rhetorical NAFTA ass for political gain, then they shall do so, just like the politicians in Canada do come election time.

Nonsense....NAFTA was negotiated in the early 90's as a follow-up to the FTA.

Canada's economy was a basket case headed for oblivion.

You mean like America's is now.

You want access to the world's biggest market...then dance to the music.

Talk like that makes me wish we were a commie type country, reliant on no one or at least not the U.S.

How the hell do you think economic "world domination" came about in the first place?

MISSILES AND FRIES.

If the Democrats want to whip some rhetorical NAFTA ass for political gain, then they shall do so, just like the politicians in Canada do come election time.

So much for meaningful U.S. style democracy, make the little guys weep.

Maybe Chavez has a point when he says 'I sting those who rattle me'.

They would be forced to do exactly the same thing as if the Liberals or the NDP were in power.

The would be forced to renogotiate.

Fortunately the water and the oil are on this side of the border.

And that dammed whimp who leads the loyal opposition is not in power - or we would simply give it all away.

Borg

You mean like we haven't been since NAFTA?

Talk like that makes me wish we were a commie type country, reliant on no one or at least not the U.S.

You mean like Cuba or North Korea? Woops, North Korea is reliant on the US and others to keep from starving to death.

No, I would mean the single state of California then or now, easily producing more (GDP) than the entire nation of Canada.

Good luck with that.

MISSILES AND FRIES.

Why yes...Canada buys plenty of both.

So much for meaningful U.S. style democracy, make the little guys weep.

Maybe Chavez has a point when he says 'I sting those who rattle me'.

Then weep....Chavez can weep with you.

You might want to check that. No one wins against the CRTC unless they toe the line.

CMT got in because they bent to the rules. The same reason FOX news was kept out.

No, Westinghouse's CMT purchased a minority interest as part of a negotiated settlement in the face of Canadian protectionism enshrined in NAFTA.

Nevertheless, American content dominates your market.