What went wrong for John McCain

After his admission that the economy is not his strong suit, people assumed that McCain was at least competent in foreign policy. Now we're not so sure. It appears he doesn't even know the dynamics of the war and thought that Iran (Shiite) was supporting al Qaeda (Sunni). So if he's foggy on the economy and unclear on foreign policy, how is he qualified to be POTUS, other than having been a POW?

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2..._in_jordan.html

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After his admission that the economy is not his strong suit, people assumed that McCain was at least competent in foreign policy. Now we're not so sure. It appears he doesn't even know the dynamics of the war and thought that Iran (Shiite) was supporting al Qaeda (Sunni). So if he's foggy on the economy and unclear on foreign policy, how is he qualified to be POTUS, other than having been a POW?

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2..._in_jordan.html

"We're" not so sure? Being a POW has nothing to do with POTUS qualifications.....hell, he wasn't even born in the USA. Senator McCain is a helluva lot more experienced than Senators Obama or Clinton, and voters will decide who wins, regardless of opinions about "qualifications".

One thing "we" know for sure is that Senator McCain has made a fool out of those who said he and his campaign were through last July.

McCain said it was "common knowledge and has been reported in the media that al-Qaeda is going back into Iran and receiving training and are coming back into Iraq from Iran, that's well known. And it's unfortunate." A few moments later, Sen. Joseph Lieberman, standing just behind McCain, stepped forward and whispered in the presidential candidate's ear. McCain then said: "I'm sorry, the Iranians are training extremists, not al-Qaeda."

You just know that the Washington Post newspaper guys report such anecdotes with such glee. As if it matters... I suppose it does to the 0.3% of the population who are hard-core Democrat political junkees.

As if it matters...

You don't think it matters if a prospective presidential candidate doesn't even know whether or not al-Qaeda is an ally of a country that may very well already be at war with the U.S. by the time he would take office?

Edited by BubberMiley

You don't think it matters if a prospective presidential candidate doesn't even know whether or not al-Qaeda is an ally of a country that may very well already be at war with the U.S. by the time he would take office?

No...it doesn't matter. Al Qaeda is not a country and Iran is already on the USA's list for state sponsored "terrorism"...has been for long, long time.

No...it doesn't matter. Al Qaeda is not a country and Iran is already on the USA's list for state sponsored "terrorism"...has been for long, long time.

It hasn't really been that long. Remember those halcyon days when Iran was on the State's list of sponsored dictators? I bet that seemed a lot like terrorism to the people who suffered under it. I bet many were terrified to death.

Edited by eyeball

Yeah, this election is really shaping up to be the biggest farce in American history. If McCain wins, he's probably going to die; being President happens to be highly stressful, and this guy is OLD and SICK. On the Democratic side of the equation, well, we got Mr. Black Power spewing bs about "change" and Ms. Clinton, who's only gotten where she is because of her cigar-wielding hubby Bill. Ain't she just the most DULL person imaginable? Oh well, America's in decline--what do you expect...

It hasn't really been that long. Remember those halcyon days when Iran was on the State's list of sponsored dictators? I bet that seemed a lot like terrorism to the people who suffered under it. I bet many were terrified to death.

Yea, but we only count those who can do something about it.

Yeah, this election is really shaping up to be the biggest farce in American history. If McCain wins, he's probably going to die; being President happens to be highly stressful, and this guy is OLD and SICK. On the Democratic side of the equation, well, we got Mr. Black Power spewing bs about "change" and Ms. Clinton, who's only gotten where she is because of her cigar-wielding hubby Bill. Ain't she just the most DULL person imaginable? Oh well, America's in decline--what do you expect...

Perhaps, but even the dullest show in American presidential politics is more exciting than..well...you know.

McCain said something, someone corrected him and he stated the correction.

Bubbler, if you think anyone in Peoria based on this story is going to change their vote from McCain to Obama/Clinton, then I advise you to pick up the phone and call your Mom and tell her that you have dropped all plans to become a political operative.

This story only matters to Washington Post journalists and you. IOW, it doesn't matter.

Perhaps, but even the dullest show in American presidential politics is more exciting than..well...you know.
IMV, the primaries were good drama. The November election will be an (exciting) sleepfest. There is no way that Obama/Clinton will get elected.

OTOH, the key point is that the next US president was unknown. In Cuba, North Korea, Syria and Russia - to name a few countries, everyone knows the family name of the next leader.

The definition of democracy is not vox populi. The definition of democracy is that the current guy will retire and no one knows who the next guy will be. IOW, the definition of democracy is that Person A, a Head of State, is willing to give power to Person B even though Person A hates and fundamentally disagrees with Person B. Want a definition of democracy? There it is. And by my definition, the United States is one of the few democracies in the world.

----

The primaries and this election cycle decided who will be the next US president. Bush Jnr didn't pick a successor, nor did Big Money. In December 2007, no one knew that McCain would be the next president. Indeed, apart from my predictions, no one really knows now who will be president.

Edited by August1991

Not when the issue is the economy which is clearly the case. If people can't make their mortgage payments or are in fear of being laid off that preys on their minds a lot more than worrying about which Muslim country is Sunni and which is Shiite.

This story only matters to Washington Post journalists and you. IOW, it doesn't matter.

John McCain has based his whole campaign on the idea that he has the foreign policy experience to confront islamic extremism, which he has called "the transcendent issue of our time." Now, on more than one occasion, he has demonstrated he doesn't even have a basic grasp of the issue.

This, along with his lack of knowledge about economic issues, simply makes him unqualified to be commander in chief. He may have spent ages and ages in Washington, but that has clearly not prepared him for the job.

This, along with his lack of knowledge about economic issues, simply makes him unqualified to be commander in chief. He may have spent ages and ages in Washington, but that has clearly not prepared him for the job.

The qualifications are simple a super majority age of 35 years and being natural born. Senator McCain is qualified as long as his birth in Panama on a naval base qualifies.

Ironically, you are not qualified, even as you challenge Senator McCain's credentials.

Ironically, you are not qualified, even as you challenge Senator McCain's credentials.

You have a Morissettian concept of irony (although not being Canadian, you might not know what that is). It would only be ironic if I were attempting to run for president, which I am not.

Yeah, I really do think.

You have a Morissettian concept of irony (although not being Canadian, you might not know what that is). It would only be ironic if I were attempting to run for president, which I am not.

Yeah, I really do think.

McCain has the same hero credentials as Bush has as the juniour flew in and landed on an aircraft carrier (riding in the child seat of course) and stated that the war had been won in Iraq..that was almost five years ago...I don't know much about McCains real service record and history - but we can forget about it - for now..there is a simple fact - Look at the guy..he is whithered and it is to late for him to take office.. He simply ran out of time..his spirit may be willing but the flesh has had it....that's what is wrong with McCain...to bad Collin Powel was not younger and to bad that he was not severly emotionally and morally burned and ruined as a man by the Bushites..He had the right stuff - unlike Obama..who's brain is simply to small...for the job...well so was Georges...maybe they need a twitster to carry on and Cheney can still rule!

Yeah, I really do think.

Ding! Ding! But that's the point...YOU are absolutely and positively not qualified even as you opine who is (in another nation yet). (Morissette has seen the light, and is now an American BTW).

Edited by bush_cheney2004