How safe is your drinking water?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/03/10/pharm...1.ap/index.html

(AP) -- A vast array of pharmaceuticals -- including antibiotics, anti-convulsants, mood stabilizers and sex hormones -- have been found in the drinking water supplies of at least 41 million Americans, an Associated Press investigation shows.

After reading some of the report, it seems to me that we as a population are taking too many prescription drugs. Since some of it is not absorbed or used by the body, it passes through us into the wastewater which cannot be easily treated for these types of contamination. This could be more widespread considering the scope of this new report.

It seems we are still unclear on how flouride affects the human body long term, and that is widely present in our water supply.

There may not be an imediate risk, but long term as the amounts of untreatable chemicals accumulate in our water supply, it will be more overt about the health affects. So eventhough we treat waste water as much as we can, there is no way to take out the chemicals. So this goes back into our water supply. Reactions to water won't be a problem until it is too late when the process or treatment is irreverable.

There was an ECOLI scare in a southern Ontario town called Walkerton. Officials knew the water was contaminated but did not release any information. http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/walkerton/ Mind you this is a different case, but it still shows that officials know about the problems before the public does.

We are what we eat/drink?

So any ideas on how to solve this? It is not like we just cannot quit meds cold turkey. But if we continue, we ramp up the risk of future problems with our drinking water. Clean fresh water is not just essential for human life/health, it is essential for all life on this planet. Water is just something we should not be screwing with. Or we need to find better ways of treating waste water. Or we need to kick the prescription drugs habit.

Many people have allergic reactions to many prescription drugs out there. If that accumulates in the water supply enough, you will get many people sick from just drinking ordinary tap water, if the answer is more pharmacuticle medication, then we are accelerating the problems. Bottled water is not a solution, although I know that will get thrown around here.

Discuss??

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm...what happened to all that Canadian bravado about unending quantities of pure, clean, safe drinking water wanted by the evil American. The report is for American municipal supplies, no?

Walkerton was simple incompetence...could happen anywhere.

Truth is, potable water supplies have always been "contaninated", it's just that now we can detect things down to parts per trillion when we couldn't before.

Aquafina anyone?

Hmmmm...what happened to all that Canadian bravado about unending quantities of pure, clean, safe drinking water wanted by the evil American. The report is for American municipal supplies, no?

Walkerton was simple incompetence...could happen anywhere.

Truth is, potable water supplies have always been "contaninated", it's just that now we can detect things down to parts per trillion when we couldn't before.

Aquafina anyone?

Canadian bravado has nothing to do with the US water contamination situation. Only an idiot would believe that there are unending quantities of clean drinking water.

Walkerton was simple incompetence, what you have here in the US is major complex incompetence.

In Canada we probably seldom drink recycled waste water because we usually have lots of water running to the ocean. In the US in many areas water is scarce and they need to reclcyle what is flushed down their toilets and hence the problem. Not to say that there may be a rare incidence of Canada recycling water.

Just another example of the US being bankrupt morally, financially, and in resources which they have decided to not take care of adequately. Sadly Harper wants to lead Canada in the same direction.

In Canada we probably seldom drink recycled waste water because we usually have lots of water running to the ocean.

Everyone who lives in a major city drinks "recycled" water. Whether it's Halifax, Montreal, Toronto or Calgary....the water we flush will eventually be the water we drink.

Everyone who lives in a major city drinks "recycled" water. Whether it's Halifax, Montreal, Toronto or Calgary....the water we flush will eventually be the water we drink.

In a sense you are correct but that's not what the issue is here. Water which makes it to the ocean evaporates up and forms clouds but the impurities are not evaporated up with the water. For the purpose of this discusison we can assume it's pure when it comes from the clouds. We are not talking about air pollution.

I don't know where Toronto gets it's drinking water but I know that Vancouver's is not recycled waste water. Stop trying to dishonest.

I don't know where Toronto gets it's drinking water but I know that Vancouver's is not recycled waste water. Stop trying to dishonest.

Did I say Vancouver? Stop being so dissmart...

Toronto gets its water from lake ontario...we also empty our drains into lake ontario..Vancouver gets it's water from the watersheds like Coquitlamand Capilano. Vancouver also empties its drains into Coquitlam so in effect Vancouver also drinks recycled water.

In a sense you are correct but that's not what the issue is here. Water which makes it to the ocean evaporates up and forms clouds but the impurities are not evaporated up with the water. For the purpose of this discusison we can assume it's pure when it comes from the clouds. We are not talking about air pollution.

You need to look into what water treatment/recycling is all about. As M Dancer said, Toronto gets it's water from a very polluted Lake Ontario... all that water,,,, hell even new fresh clean water is treated before you pull it from the taps.

Canadian bravado has nothing to do with the US water contamination situation. Only an idiot would believe that there are unending quantities of clean drinking water.

Walkerton was simple incompetence, what you have here in the US is major complex incompetence.

It depends where you live. Many places do have unending quantities of clean drinking water.

From CNN link above:

To be sure, the concentrations of these pharmaceuticals are tiny, measured in quantities of parts per billion or trillion, far below the levels of a medical dose. Also, utilities insist their water is safe.
This is more a credit to modern measuring abilities. At a level of one part per trillion, it is possible to detect almost anything in anything. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the Pope has traces of cocaine on his fingers at a level of one part per trillion.
Just another example of the US being bankrupt morally, financially, and in resources which they have decided to not take care of adequately. Sadly Harper wants to lead Canada in the same direction.
Are you suggesting now that Harper has some God-given power to reverse the flow of rivers?

Not in Calgary. Not in Edmonton. Not in Saskatoon, etc.

No that's right and not in most Canadian cities either. I said I didn't know about Toronto because I suspected that they would get water from lake Ontario but I do know about Vancouver and it is not recycled sewers. It is from a watershed which certainly could be contaminated by air pollution but that is not the issue here.

I'm amazed at how Canadians will defend the poor irresponsible practices of the US when comparisons are made and I'm also amazed that Americans will defend those same practices becaus of their patriotism. As opposed to just admitting that they need to do better. In fact they are intent it seems in dragging Canada down the same wrong path they have taken.

We are fortunate for sure to have relatively clean drinking water but that's no reason to need to support American foolishness which in most instances is motivated by their extreme capitalist greed. We in Canada can do better.

No that's right and not in most Canadian cities either. I said I didn't know about Toronto because I suspected that they would get water from lake Ontario but I do know about Vancouver and it is not recycled sewers. It is from a watershed which certainly could be contaminated by air pollution but that is not the issue here.

I'm amazed at how Canadians will defend the poor irresponsible practices of the US when comparisons are made and I'm also amazed that Americans will defend those same practices becaus of their patriotism. As opposed to just admitting that they need to do better. In fact they are intent it seems in dragging Canada down the same wrong path they have taken.

We are fortunate for sure to have relatively clean drinking water but that's no reason to need to support American foolishness which in most instances is motivated by their extreme capitalist greed. We in Canada can do better.

Vancouver would be drinking Kelowna's and Vernon's sewage.

cheers!

aha White.. you need geography lesson!

North of Vancouver is ... mountains! Vancouver's water comes from the Capilano watershed.

Capilano WatershedWhere does Vancouver get it's water

Out in the valley the water comes from Harrison Lake.... Harrison Lake

Water fresh water everywhere!

another cool map... I love maps!

Look above those lakes (they are all pointing downwards toward the Fraser River Basin) there is NO population to speak of. NONE. Nada. Zip. Just spirit bears, totem poles and rainforest (gawd I love this place!)

Edited by Drea

Calgary's major source is the Elbow River (direct from glacial source and Bow River (direct from glacial source). Hint. :rolleyes: .Water runs down hill. Maybe your city puts the outflow upstream from the intake but our's doesn't.

http://geoscape.nrcan.gc.ca/h2o/bow/urban_e.php

aha White.. you need geography lesson!

North of Vancouver is ... mountains! Vancouver's water comes from the Capilano watershed.

Capilano WatershedWhere does Vancouver get it's water

Out in the valley the water comes from Harrison Lake.... Harrison Lake

Water fresh water everywhere!

another cool map... I love maps!

Look above those lakes (they are all pointing downwards toward the Fraser River Basin) there is NO population to speak of. NONE. Nada. Zip. Just spirit bears, totem poles and rainforest (gawd I love this place!)

Ahh, so you are drinking Whistler's crap. I hear they do lots of drugs there, you should be even more worried!

I guess you use the crap from Kelowna and Vernon (along with the pharma drugs) and irrigate your crops with it. eww.. I wouldn't be eating local produce if I were you!

gross!