A great Canadian forum

Interesting article about the CBC forum: CBC website bars use of the word "Jewish"

A New York-based attorney who posts frequently said that the CBC began filtering the words "Jew," "Jewish" and "Israel" last year, after one of its message boards, devoted to Middle East issues, was deluged with anti-Semitic and anti-Palestinian comments.

But such postings have not ceased entirely. "I've been called a "rabid Zionist," said the attorney, who posts under the handle JBG. "But if I decide to respond, even in the nicest, most polite way, I can't use the word "Jew." And I am a Jew. I have to make up a word instead. It's absurd."

The word "dyke" is regularly used on the CBC forum to dismiss certain prominent Canadian women, among them a senior CBC television personality. The racial slur "Chinaman" has also been successfully posted. "What do you get when you cross a Chinaman with a Rabbi?" one frequent contributor joked last May. His post is still contained in the CBC message board files. Anti-Americanism is common.

So along with everything else, anti-Americanism was common. And here we have USHadItComing praising this board as he's welcomed to it, with not a word from the mods/admin about his handle.

I've given this a lot of thought, and while I wholeheartedly appreciate all the time Greg and Charles put into it, I think the level of this board, by allowing the handle "USHadItComing," took a real dive. If this handle is allowed, what next? What will this board turn into?

I see "USHadItComing" and I see the face of a preschooler who was on one of the planes, on her way to Disneyland. Yep. She "had it coming." She and all the other innocents "had it coming."

I know you said that by my leaving this 'poster' wins, guyser, and you made some good points (and I thank you for responding to my post/feelings; I will mull over all the points that you and others brought up), but at this time I'm still struggling with being part of a board that subjects me (and others) to the claim that the U.S. had it coming over and over again just by being on the board. I can't get the picture of that little girl out of my mind. At the same time, I have to wonder if the UK had it coming; if Spain had it coming; if Bali had it coming; if Thailand had it coming ....

Actually now that you mention it, the CBC forum banned the use of words 'Jew', 'Jewish', and a few others years ago. It wasn't because of anti-semitism at that time but because some posters, me included, spoke out against Israel's apartheid regime and it's apartheid wall which is absolutely horrible treatment of the Palestinian people.

You needn't bother seeing a little girl in your mind's eye every time you see my name. It doesn't mean the little girl had it coming or any of the innocent victims who died had it coming. It simply means that the US had it coming because 9/11 was a revenge attack. My own opinion on it is that it would be outrageous for a Canadian or American forum to take sides on the issue because even many Americans fully understand now that it was revenge. Nearly all Canadians do.

But do you understand what you're trying to do here? Your country starts wars of aggression and kills millions of innocent people on false pretences and made up justification and then you want to prevent people from talking about it. This is not Nazi Germany yet sister, and neither is the US but people like you are certainly giving it a good effort.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So JBG, that's interesting about the CBC board. I hadn't heard that but I do know what it was all about. It was nothing more than the CBC censoring any criticism of Israel and the Zionist regime. The racial slurs were a totallly different thing. I notice that you dishonestly tried to make it out to be something else. And that my friend is the reason the CBC board went down and you indeed did have an indirect influence in having it shut down.

The now defunct CBC forum was not as bad as it seems....on balance, and respecting the precarious position a government funded organization found itself, it worked quite well. I posted there for about two years, and found the selective and clumsy hate-speech barriers more comical than anything else. Even "Jesus Christ" was blocked. Blocking was easily defeated with hyphens or spaces.

There was also a labour strike towards the end, straining moderator resouces. JBG's memory of events is better than mine, but we had all kinds of quirky events. Once, I was able to inject some html to post photos of Popeye the Sailor Man in the Arts section of the forum. Images had never been allowed for obvious reasons.

No, it wasn't all that bad at all and yur recollection is just as good as JBG's. My honest opinion is that it was mostly pressure from Zionist lobbying that shut it down because they didn't want to hear any criticism of what was happening to the Palestinian people at the hands of the Jews. Of course there never was any anti-semitism because that would have been jumped on immediately by the moderators. It was also very biased toward the US because it didn't want any repercussions if we hurt American feelings and so it just didn't think it was worth the effort and risk in running it. I was very disappointed in the CBC for that move and let them know several times. They never did answer and explain why they shut it down. On the board they used the excuse that they had technical difficulties which they couldn't fix.

Guest American Woman
Good post... maybe a word to Greg about it, in the meantime just put him on ignore.

Thanks, scriblett. I did PM Greg about it but haven't heard back yet.

No, it wasn't all that bad at all and yur recollection is just as good as JBG's. My honest opinion is that it was mostly pressure from Zionist lobbying that shut it down because they didn't want to hear any criticism of what was happening to the Palestinian people at the hands of the Jews.....

No, that wasn't the case at all, as plenty of maturely stated criticism was tolerated for years. It was the perfect storm of labour strife, strict anti-copyright infringement policies, technical problems with hosting and forum engine, domestic hate-speech law, and too few mods trying to enforce policies (sometimes with pre-screening until a trusted forum member).

Also, it should be pointed out to those who never visited CBC Forums that it was more than just a politics site, with numerous other topic areas from cooking to art. Membership was much larger than MLW, and it was the premier broadcasting organization in the nation (high visibility). The standards were high, and the means to enforce such standards eventually withered away.

As an aside, comparisons were made between like sponsored CBC and America's NPR (National Public Radio) web site, which was a total free-for-all complete with photos. In a nutshell, it summarized the different limits placed on freedom of speech nicely.

No, that wasn't the case at all, as plenty of maturely stated criticism was tolerated for years. It was the perfect storm of labour strife, strict anti-copyright infringement policies, technical problems with hosting and forum engine, domestic hate-speech law, and too few mods trying to enforce policies (sometimes with pre-screening until a trusted forum member).

Also, it should be pointed out to those who never visited CBC Forums that it was more than just a politics site, with numerous other topic areas from cooking to art. Membership was much larger than MLW, and it was the premier broadcasting organization in the nation (high visibility). The standards were high, and the means to enforce such standards eventually withered away.

As an aside, comparisons were made between like sponsored CBC and America's NPR (National Public Radio) web site, which was a total free-for-all complete with photos. In a nutshell, it summarized the different limits placed on freedom of speech nicely.

You mostly agree with how I saw it because I knew it was a hosting problem too because they needed more moderators to stay on top of the political criticism of Israel. The politics section was of course the reason it was shut down and JBG made that pretty clear. The technical difficulty was just bs of course and I talked to a person at CBC who pretty well admitted that with her temper tantrum and not answering the questions on tech problems. However, it was mostly Zionist objections to criticsim that made it not worth CBC's time to keep it going. 'That' is why they censored 'Jew, etc. I think they even censored 'Nazi'. And none of this was because of holocaust denial which of course is illegal in Canada. You know the Zionists will always try to make criticism look like holocaust denial. It's their whole schtick!

Thanks Leafless, it's nice to learn who the 'good' people are early. I'm sure that if my name was Iraqhaditcoming then some Americans would not be whining. This is a political forum and I think it makes it clear right from the start when they see my name just what I believe.

And thank you Greg for the welcome. Actually now that I think of it I think it was a Craig who moderated another forum and was a little biased. Back in 2001 and 2002 a person would get banned from a forum for saying that the US had it coming and in fact I was banned from one of the US forums for suggesting it was US foreign policy which caused the hits on 9/11, as horrible as they were. Now there are a hundred books out there which are written on exactly that premise. Chalmers johnson's, 'Nemesis' is one I've just read and he's an American himself.

Just being new here I'm in the process of figuring out what the rules reallly are. Some of the people here such as in this thread even have made personal attacks against me already for my POV and it apparently goes unnoticed. That's the way I like it because I don't think it should be over-moderated. In one forum I took part in the same thing happened and I started to respond in kind because I got the impression that was the norm. Not so, because soon a moderator presented himself and banned me for my behaviour. He said that he had been correcting the ones who were hitting on me with rudeness all along. BS of course but you can't be too careful and it takes some time to learn the ropes. Biased mods usually make it pretty clear early on that you're getting on their nerves if that's the case. I don't tolerate that and I don't do temporary suspensions either.

Holy ego batman!

lol

Oh come on jbg - why don't you brag about how you sole handedly shut down the CBC forums by spamming the with really obnoxious anti semitic crap then launching a whiney complaint!?
You know that isn't what happened.

Here's the story. On March 8, 2004 I posted, "Happy Purim from the J3ws to the non-J3ws" to get around the "filter" of the word "Jew". When that post was manually deleted it gave lie to the CBC assertion that it was merely "deferring" the posting of the word "Jew" to make sure the post was innocuous. I e-mailed a complaint to the Canadian Jewish Congress, cc'd to a lot of my mailing list, including Lorne Gunter. He forwarded it to Brian Hutchinson, the ultimate author of the National Post article, which ran March 10, 2004.1

It was not my intention to shut the forums down. My co-complainant, being a Canadian taxpayer, felt otherwise. He joined my complaint and the phone conference with Brian Hutchinson for his own reasons, which related in part to CBC funding abuse.

1I'll be happy to snail-mail anyone a PDF of the article who PM's me for it with their e-mail address.

You know that isn't what happened.

Here's the story. On March 8, 2004 I posted, "Happy Purim from the J3ws to the non-J3ws" to get around the "filter" of the word "Jew". When that post was manually deleted it gave lie to the CBC assertion that it was merely "deferring" the posting of the word "Jew" to make sure the post was innocuous. I e-mailed a complaint to the Canadian Jewish Congress, cc'd to a lot of my mailing list, including Lorne Gunter. He forwarded it to Brian Hutchinson, the ultimate author of the National Post article, which ran March 10, 2004.1

It was not my intention to shut the forums down. My co-complainant, being a Canadian taxpayer, felt otherwise. He joined my complaint and the phone conference with Brian Hutchinson for his own reasons, which related in part to CBC funding abuse.

1I'll be happy to snail-mail anyone a PDF of the article who PM's me for it with their e-mail address.

This confirms about what I suspected all along and thanks for clearing that up. They were afraid that if they didn't jump on all racist and like comments fast enough they would get in trouble with the Zionist lobby. Again the Zionists succeeded in censoring what they didn't like to hear. I wish I knew the woman's name at the CBC so I could call her back and tell her that the whole thing has been exposed.

Oh, and Perry was the mod.

And that confirms you didn't know much about the facts at all. "Zionists" indeed.

Yes, there is a very big difference in the people of Israel. The Zionists are the trouble makers and they differ from many other Israelis in that they want war and expanding of Israel to other neighbouring countries and expansion of the illegal settlements. Then there are the peaceloving Jews who want peace and could live with an euitable solution which gave back some of the rights to the Palestinian people.

The Zionist also is intent on inviting Jews from all over the world to come and live and build in Israel while at the same time denying equal rights to Palestinians whose country it is. The Zionists are racist Jews but they are also pushed by their ridiculous religious beliefs in the land being all theirs. They'll also get their due comeuppance some day too. Tyranny and evil can't stand indefinitely. And in fact the US now understands that supporting their tyranny is not entirely necessary and not worth the trouble it causes the US. The Zionists will get their wings clipped a little perhaps but not too much because the US depends on them for an excuse for a presence in the ME. Worth another big hit like 9/11? Probably but not worth seeing the whole country go down the tubes due to support of Zionism.

....The Zionists will get their wings clipped a little perhaps but not too much because the US depends on them for an excuse for a presence in the ME. Worth another big hit like 9/11? Probably but not worth seeing the whole country go down the tubes due to support of Zionism.

Wait...you forgot to mention AIPAC, and the USS Liberty, and "wars of aggression", and joint military weapons developoment (like Arrow), and the destruction of the Osirak nuclear plant, and Doktor Kissinger, and numerous other nefarious arrangements.

The USA will support Israel as long as it wishes, even more so after 9/11....and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Jew baiting won't work here either.

The US will support the Zionists as long as it pays a premium for it. When it doesn't anymore or it becomes too costly in revenge attacks against the US, the US will stop. There is no real love affair there other than it's politically right to support the Jews for the votes. Same as Cuba where the US has to keep up the embargo for the votes. But that one is starting to get politically very expensive for the US too and it is going to be worth dumping the Cubans in the US pretty soon in order to bring Cuba onside. Either that or Cuba aligns itself more with Hugo and the anti-US coalition grows until it's out of control.

The US will support the Zionists as long as it pays a premium for it. When it doesn't anymore or it becomes too costly in revenge attacks against the US, the US will stop. There is no real love affair there other than it's politically right to support the Jews for the votes. Same as Cuba where the US has to keep up the embargo for the votes. But that one is starting to get politically very expensive for the US too and it is going to be worth dumping the Cubans in the US pretty soon in order to bring Cuba onside. Either that or Cuba aligns itself more with Hugo and the anti-US coalition grows until it's out of control.

More nonsense.....at least you are consistent, joining the pack of fools who thinks they know how it will all come down. Changing your "Jew baiting" tactics to "Zionist" is another worn out ploy we've seen many times before. Please do something new, lest we become bored. American foreign policy remains unaltered, premium or no premium. Wishful thinking will not change anything.

Cubans still risk death trying to become landed US immigrants, and there is nothing you can say to obfuscate that reality.

Yes, there is a very big difference in the people of Israel. The Zionists are the trouble makers and they differ from many other Israelis in that they want war and expanding of Israel to other neighbouring countries and expansion of the illegal settlements. Then there are the peaceloving Jews who want peace and could live with an euitable solution which gave back some of the rights to the Palestinian people.
What rights of the (non-existant) Palestinians would you have them give up, the right to a Jewish majority country?

What rights of the (non-existant) Palestinians would you have them give up, the right to a Jewish majority country?

Of course not but if the Palestinians were allowed to vote for a leader in their country then the majority would make the decisions. If not then a two state solution would be the only answer as far as I can see. They need to live up to the UN resolutions on the question for a start. What do you advocate? You just know that the Israelis are going to be whacked bigtime sooner or later and the ones who do the whacking won't care if the Israelis nuke Iran or the Palestinians.

Maybe we can talk about an equitable solution to the problem if you care to do so. I think you and I are capable of keeping it civil.

Of course not but if the Palestinians were allowed to vote for a leader in their country then the majority would make the decisions. If not then a two state solution would be the only answer as far as I can see. They need to live up to the UN resolutions on the question for a start. What do you advocate? You just know that the Israelis are going to be whacked bigtime sooner or later and the ones who do the whacking won't care if the Israelis nuke Iran or the Palestinians.

And if the Palestinians "vote" for some group (read Hamas) that won't recognize Israel then Israel is privileged to take the destruction of itself as the policy of the Palestinian people and act accordingly.

And if the Palestinians "vote" for some group (read Hamas) that won't recognize Israel then Israel is privileged to take the destruction of itself as the policy of the Palestinian people and act accordingly.

Well that's why a two state solution is more desirable. Do you think that Israel has any intention at all of ever letting it happen? I am now of the opinion that all of the offers are nothing but an ongoing smokescreen. It seems to me that every time it gets close to happening Israel will go and kill some more Palestinians and that will start the revenge killing again and put off any progress. I think that Isreal clearly needs more territory and will not be content to stop at it's (the Palestinian borders) when it encourages enough immigrants that it desperately needs more room.

You probably know something about it being a Jew and I suspect that you are going to be extremely biased but I'm interested in hearing your opinions still. Speaking honestly to you now, if I show bias toward either side it could only be put down to ignorance of the situation because I have no other reason to favour either side. I just think the questions are quite obvious and that a lot of people are going to die if it's not fixed. At the same time I understand that many fundie christians think the endgame is inevitable and I fear that takes away any real onus on the US to do the right thing. Of course I consider all the religious mumbo-jumbo as nothing but sky fairy tales.

Hey UShaditcoming: Welcome again. I see in your short time here you've subjected yourself to a feeding frenzy and survived the shark attacks. From the start, you would have already picked up on the leanings of this forum. You probably have already picked up on it but decided to join in the fun anyways.

Well, lucky for some of us there was a poll posted in these forums sometime back that gave us an opportunity to gauge the sentiments of the forum against the actual sentiments of the general population. Rest assured, no matter how disturbing it is to read some of those wacky posts and threads, the views stated in this forum are not shared in the general population.

Hey UShaditcoming: Welcome again. I see in your short time here you've subjected yourself to a feeding frenzy and survived the shark attacks. From the start, you would have already picked up on the leanings of this forum. You probably have already picked up on it but decided to join in the fun anyways.

Well, lucky for some of us there was a poll posted in these forums sometime back that gave us an opportunity to gauge the sentiments of the forum against the actual sentiments of the general population. Rest assured, no matter how disturbing it is to read some of those wacky posts and threads, the views stated in this forum are not shared in the general population.

Thank you daniel and I know that these US apologists are not representative of Canadians. They're not even representative of Americans because the whole damn country is turning toward the left and against the US wars. The world did long ago and the only reason why Canada is lagging behind Europe a bit is because of the lies of Harper and his gang of extreme right mistfits. But I do so love to give them a little run for their money and you never know, some of them may just start to pull their heads out of their a--holes and smell the flowers.

Thank you daniel and I know that these US apologists are not representative of Canadians.

You got that right. MLW is not representative of mainstream Canada. Thank God for that!

They're not even representative of Americans because the whole damn country is turning toward the left and against the US wars.

If the whole damn country is turning left then why, pray tell, do we have a Conservative government in power?

The anti-war sentiment in Canada is not the product of a left turn. This has been the case in this country as long as I can remember, regardless of the government in power. You really should hone up on your Canadian history.

The world did long ago and the only reason why Canada is lagging behind Europe a bit is because of the lies of Harper and his gang of extreme right mistfits.

Typical leftist rhetoric. You need to revise your talking points. And if you think things are honky dory in Europe, man you need to read more.

But I do so love to give them a little run for their money and you never know, some of them may just start to pull their heads out of their a--holes and smell the flowers.

Anytime you pull something out of a rectum, sorry but the last thing you'll smell is flowers.