A great Canadian forum

Guest American Woman
At first, I wondered whether Americans understood that many foreigners liked Obama because, in the mind of these foreigners, Obama was not "mainstream America".

I think ultimately the question is how many Americans would care about that one way or the other when going to the polls? Most vote on issues in our country and how they affect us, not on what the world thinks, same as citizens of every other nation. But I think a lot of Americans realized that many foreigners liked Obama because he was not Bush, first and foremost; because he said the things they wanted to hear - and he said it well.

Speaking for myself, since I bought into the whole "it's not Americans, it's Bush" mindset, I was glad that his win was so well received throughout the world. I looked forward to "change" in that regard, even though I didn't buy into the whole "hope and change" rhetoric of his campaign, and he most definitely was not my choice for the Democratic ticket. Now I realize that "it's not Americans, it's Bush" was also so much rhetoric, and see the hypocrisy of those who now criticize Americans for having elected Obama, too.

Then I realized that Obama is a typical American politician despite what foreigners think, and Americans admirably make choices without great thought for what anyone else thinks.

Yes, as I said above, ultimately we do, same as everyone else - and I might add, it's good that he is a "typical American politician" in that he is looking out for the U.S. first and foremost, as he is not president of the world, but of the U.S. In other words, he is acting the same as every other nations' leaders in that regard.

Enright, Milewski etc are mistaken if they think that Obama is an "anti-American" US president. IMV, Obama is a typical American politician. The only question, IMV, is whether he is competent or not.

Well, he may be America's first black president but he's no Laurier and certainly no Trudeau. Kennedy was the first Catholic US president and he arguably raised the level of debate more than Obama has done.

I agree.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic