Should Canada Recognize Kosovo Independence?

Kosovo Independence  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

British Canada tried its utmost to assimilate the French. The only reason they failed was their own elitist policies which resulted in a class collaboration of progressive French politicians with their English counterparts.

The reason they failed was because English immigrants were hesitant immigrating into Quebec.

And I can't say I blame them.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason they failed was because English immigrants were hesitant immigrating into Quebec.

And I can't say I blame them.

They didn't fail, they let them keep their homes/businesses, language, and religion, that's pretty fair for a conquered people if you ask me.

Should they have sold them into slavery, bayonetted them, or burned them alive in churches? No

They could have done that, but chose wisely not to.

They didn't fail, they let them keep their homes/businesses, language, and religion, that's pretty fair for a conquered people if you ask me.

Oh, is that what you call assimilation?

The British failed at assimilating Quebecers.

Should they have sold them into slavery, bayonetted them, or burned them alive in churches? No

They could have done that, but chose wisely not to.

I would say they probably did consider what you stated or similar but in reality did not really know what to do with them.

Instead they decided to use them and selected to give them the Quebec Act in return for acting as a British ally.

It seems that everybody on this forum takes for granted that the English, solely by virtue of being English, have an innate right to do whatever they want to non-English people,including perpetrating genocides. This is a very supremacist ideology.

Well when the English for their entire history of being England have been kicking ass on a regular basis have earned that privelege.

Of course it should be recognized. The majority of people want to leave. So they do.

The details can be worked out later. The bottom line is that Kosovo decided it wanted to be independant, so there it is.

I don't think there was a referendum, not that the decision would be in doubt.

Of course....that is exactly how it should work....nation state self interest. There is no "standard" and certainly no relevance for "fairness" consideration for circumstances that are neither standard or typical in such matters.

Even Turkey has recognized Kosovo....and we certainly know why.

Canada is paralyzed on this matter even though it has little skin in the game. The Clarity Act formalized the process for Quebec (does it apply to other provinces?). Kosovo doesn't have that luxury with Serbia.

[/quot

I think canada should recognize KOSOVO as a country. Canada is going to have to deal with qubec them self and it should have nothing to do with kosovo they dealed with it on the past and sooner or later they will have to deal with it again. 5years of war over 250000 killed and there are alot of other things in there. A lot of people should read some history before they make up a decsion about kosovo. the province of kosovo is 90% kosovars. and it's completly different people then serbians. The formar countries that were under Yugoslavia they all know how Serbians are and what they did to them and also Kosovars. Yes milloshvic was wrong for a lot of thing but why were he people following him. He broke up Yugoslavia for good and it will never get back together again. Put your self on their shoes. Kosova will never stay under Serbia again unless they all get killed, but also remember that there are countries around that will not let that happen.

Again A lot of Countries all ready did recognize Kosovo as a country and a lot more will. When it come to Russia and Serbia they just going to have to roll with it. Sooner or later they will also recognize it and they know it. I know Serbs that all ready recognize it. Serbia has almos 6.5 million people and i would think that only 95% of them dont even care what happen to Kosovo, watch the new, 2000 here 700 there all together ther might be 400000people that are against it.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like we just recognized Kosovo.... Serbia is not happy.

Canada recognizes Kosovo independence

On Tuesday, Foreign Affairs Minister Maxime Bernier said in a press release that Canada would follow the lead of its allies and recognize Kosovo's declaration of independence, which it issued last month.

Many western countries -- including the U.S. and Britain -- have said that Kosovo presented a unique case for independence because of a program of ethnic cleansing that Serbs orchestrated against ethnic Kosovars in the 1990s.

Canada no longer has a leg to stand on regarding it's own seperating province.

How the heck is the gov't supposed to fight Quebec seperation now? ... if they can do it with Canada's blessing so can Quebec. And that is what the Bloc will run with...

Stupid stupid Harper.

How the heck is the gov't supposed to fight Quebec seperation now? ... if they can do it with Canada's blessing so can Quebec. And that is what the Bloc will run with...

Stupid stupid Harper.

Here is what the PM said....

"In the case of Kosovo, the situation that evolved there was a situation of war, terrible suffering by the Kosovars. I think Quebecers have been very clear. They're not interested in more referendums and more debate about separation. They want to get on with building a strong Quebec within a strong Canada."

So how does that strengthen Quebecs postion to separate, and why have they brought it up now why not when we blessed Macedonia, or other countries we have given our official recongnition to....

Quebec does not need an excuse to seek separation , what it needs is the majority of it's poulation....

Here is what the PM said....

So how does that strengthen Quebecs postion to separate, and why have they brought it up now why not when we blessed Macedonia, or other countries we have given our official recongnition to....

Quebec does not need an excuse to seek separation , what it needs is the majority of it's poulation....

Macedonia is special because Greece feels calling a nation Macedonia will have implications about her province called macedonia.

Which is why the legal name is The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.

Stupid stupid Harper.

Stupid or strategic? If I were Pauline Marois, I'd be thanking Harper. He's made it clear that on principle he'd not object to Quebec separating if that's what the Quebecois want.