Quote of the Day/Week/Month/Year

August1991

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill Clinton on Sarah Palin:

"I come from Arkansas, I get why she's hot out there," Clinton said. "Why she's doing well."

"People look at her, and they say, 'All those kids. Something that happens in everybody's family. I'm glad she loves her daughter and she's not ashamed of her. Glad that girl's going around with her boyfriend. Glad they're going to get married.'"

"I like that little Down syndrome kid. One of them lives down the street. They're wonderful children. They're wonderful people. And I like the idea that this guy does those long-distance races. Stayed in the race for 500 miles with a broken arm. My kind of guy."

"I get this," Clinton said. "My view is ... why say, ever, anything bad about a person? Why don't we like them and celebrate them and be happy for her elevation to the ticket? And just say that she was a good choice for him and we disagree with them?"

Seattle Times

This explains why Clinton was president and why a northern Democrat from a blue state is unlikely to win the presidency.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

-Benjamin Franklin (Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759)

It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

-Robert H. Jackson, U.S. Supreme Court Justice, 1950

I don't find any difference between Islam and Islamic fundamentalists. I believe religion is the root, and from the root fundamentalism grows as a poisonous stem. If we remove fundamentalism and keep religion, then one day or another fundamentalism will grow again. I need to say that because some liberals always defend Islam and blame fundamentalists for creating problems. But Islam itself oppresses women. Islam itself doesn't permit democracy and it violates human rights.

-Taslima Nasrin (in an interview in Free Inquiry magazine, winter 1998/1999, Vol. 19 No. 1)

Live for something rather than die for nothing.

George Patton

The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it.

Norman Shwarzkopf

Katie Couric Interview with Joe Biden:

"Part of what a leader does is to instill confidence by demonstrating that he or she knows what they are talking about...and communicates to people that if you listen to me and follow along with what I am saying..we can fix this.

When the stock market crashed Franklin Roosevelt walked out on television, and didn't just talk about the princes of greed...and said look....here's what happened....."

Michael Ignatieff speaking at the Economic Club in Toronto defines the Liberal Party:

The party I joined in 1965, the party of Mike Pearson, Pierre Trudeau, John Turner, Jean Chretien and Paul Martin is a party of the center. Always has been. Always will be.

Liberals believe in sound money, balanced budgets, low taxes, personal responsibility.

What separates us from the NDP and the Greens is that we believe in a competitive market economy.

What separates us from the Conservatives is that we believe you can’t have an efficient economy without a just society.

Link

Michael Ignatieff speaking at the Economic Club in Toronto defines the Liberal Party:Link

Really trying for that centrist vote. - Pierre Turdeau - centrist? Someone that believed in a competitive market economy? Will Dion be angry? He seems to want to pull the party more to the left. What's going on with the Liberals?

Is Ignatieff campaigning for party leadership already?

"Jack might think he's Barack Obama, but he really isn't. He's Ralph Nader. The effect of voting for his candidates in most ridings is to perpetuate Conservative rule."

If the NDP manage to pull ahead of the Liberals, that quote could backfire big time.

IIRC, Jack Layton tried to use the argument that people should rally around his party to stop the Conservatives...too bad he didn't believe in that logic back in 2004 or 2006.

• 2 weeks later...
As leaves across Canada turn from green to red, we gather with family and friends to celebrate the many blessings bestowed upon us as citizens of a country as rich in natural and human resources as Canada.
(my emphasis)

http://www.liberal.ca/story_15394_e.aspx

Intentional or not, an interesting play on words.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
What separates us from the Conservatives is that we believe you can’t have an efficient economy without a just society.

Nice one

Should read - What separates us from the Conservatives is that we believe you can’t have a PM who was elected by the people of Canada. We prefer crowning our PM's in coronation ceremonies.

"Obama had little choice as an Illinois politician but to deal with an ethically dubious regime. “You hold your nose and work through the system,” she said.

Yet she also thinks America is being done a disservice by those who portray Obama as somehow above the uglier wheeler-dealing of politics. “He’s a pragmatic politician, and in the end if you think that he’s superman, your heart is going to get broken.”

Cyndi Canary, Executive Director of the Illinois Campaign for Political Reform, on Barack Obama as a politician in Illinois: Times

Deserves re-posting, given the demission of the Illinois Governor.

Edited by August1991

• 2 weeks later...

Monique Jérôme-Forget justifies the Quebec government bailout of ABCP (PCAA) without mentioning the Caisse:

"Le Québec a accepté de participer à cette facilité de financement parce qu'un échec de la restructuration du PCAA aurait eu des conséquences majeures pour de nombreux investisseurs, petits et grands, et des institutions financières canadiennes."
R-C

• 1 month later...

Yishai, an anonymous IDF reserve soldier, leaves a message to an anonymous Palestinian whose home in Gaza he occupied:

"You must be familiar with Singapore. The land mass there is not much larger than the Gaza strip and it is considered to be the second most populated country in the world. Yet, Singapore is a successful, prospering, and well managed country. Why not the same for you?

"My friend, I would like to call you by name, but I will not do so publicly. I want you to know that I am 100% at peace with what my country did, what my army did, and what I did. However, I feel your pain. I am sorry for the destruction you are finding in your neighborhood at this moment."

Link

Nicolas Sarkozy speaks directly to Quebec's separatists:

«Croyez-vous, mes amis, que le monde, dans la crise sans précédent qu'il traverse, a besoin de division, a besoin de détestation? Est-ce que pour prouver qu'on aime les autres, on a besoin de détester leurs voisins? Quelle étrange idée!»

«Ceux qui ne comprennent pas cela, dit-il, je ne crois pas qu'ils nous aiment plus, je crois qu'ils n'ont pas compris que, dans l'essence de la Francophonie, dans les valeurs universelles que nous portons au Québec comme en France, il y a le refus du sectarisme, le refus de la division, le refus de l'enfermement sur soi-même, le refus de cette obligation de définir son identité par opposition féroce à l'autre.»

Le Devoir

• 2 weeks later...

Barack Obama on the possibility of nationalizing US banks:

Sweden, on the other hand, had a problem like this. They took over the banks, nationalized them, got rid of the bad assets, resold the banks and, a couple years later, they were going again. So you'd think looking at it, Sweden looks like a good model. Here's the problem; Sweden had like five banks. [LAUGHS] We've got thousands of banks. You know, the scale of the U.S. economy and the capital markets are so vast and the problems in terms of managing and overseeing anything of that scale, I think, would -- our assessment was that it wouldn't make sense. And we also have different traditions in this country.

And so, what we've tried to do is to apply some of the tough love that's going to be necessary, but do it in a way that's also recognizing we've got big private capital markets and ultimately that's going to be the key to getting credit flowing again.

ABC News

Barack Obama on the possibility of nationalizing US banks:ABC News

Calculated Risk had a piece on this quote:

Obama on Nationalization

But stop and think about what Obama is saying. We know the correct answer, but we are afraid to do it - because of our "culture" - so we are going to follow the Japanese plan.

We should definitely stress test the banks. My suggestion: announce when this will be complete (within 30 days), make the results public, and preprivatize the insolvent ones....

...So, the current strategy – Plan A - may not work and the Plan B (or better Plan N for nationalization) may end up the way to go later this year. Wasting another 6-12 months to do the right thing may be a mistake but the political constraints facing the new administration – and the remaining small probability that the current strategy may by some miracle or luck work – suggest that Plan A should be first exhausted before there is a move to Plan N. Wasting another 6-12 months may risk turning a U-shaped recession into an L-shaped near depression but currently Plan N is not yet politically feasible.

BTW, the US is now stress testing 18 banks so maybe Obama's quote above is a red herring.